+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: fps doesnt change with settings.

  1. #1
    Ascendant Wolfetx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,031

    Default fps doesnt change with settings.

    Hello, I am hoping to find a solution.
    Sitting in sanc my fps stay at 15 to 20 regardless of settings changes.
    I can go from full ultra settings to the min settings and fps stays the same. Seem not matter what i do i cant get the fps to go up.

  2. #2
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfetx View Post
    Hello, I am hoping to find a solution.
    Sitting in sanc my fps stay at 15 to 20 regardless of settings changes.
    I can go from full ultra settings to the min settings and fps stays the same. Seem not matter what i do i cant get the fps to go up.
    I get the same thing, no change between low render mode and max with super sampling. no clue why it does this or how to fix it though.
    Last edited by Haptiic; 06-24-2012 at 03:30 PM.

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple Skarrij's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Cause of your CPU and not GPU!
    Last edited by Skarrij; 06-25-2012 at 03:56 AM.

    I raid only 1 hour per week!

  4. #4
    Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Welcome to the club. Ignore the **** above that says CPU. That seems to be the new generic MMO catch phrase being thrown around.

    Do you use a video card monitoring program? Like EVGA Precision or anything? Also state your specs. You haven't listed anything. CPU, Video card, memory would be nice info to have.

  5. #5
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,570

    Default

    Yeah, I'm with Retsopmi, I mean . . . it can't possibly be that when piles of polygon data has to be processed by your CPU that it might in fact have trouble processing it all and getting it over to your video card . . . which you can see with things like turn super sampling on and you'll notice your Max FPS out in shimmersand gets cut in half, but your min FPS in a city barely even changes. . .

    yeah . . .

  6. #6
    Ascendant Wolfetx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,031

    Default

    Ok specs are..
    windows vista 64
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    8 gigs ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    res i am running 1920 x 1200
    MotherBoard is a Asus m2n32-sli deluxe

    Yes, i run evga precision to and have side bar monitor gadgets for both the cpu and gpu.
    The core are never maxed out. Normally during game play the bounce from 50% use to 80% use but never max out.Its a older cpu i know but at 3.2 ( i am actually at 3240mhz per core atm) its still faster than a lot of the multi core cpus out today. It falls behind on the fsb and cache. I do plan a new build later this year.

    The 550ti is above normal budget cards and well behind top end gaming cards. It was a fast fix to my gtx 8800 ultra cards dieing a couple months ago.
    Monitoring Places this under rift load at 43% gpu memory usage and 60% gpu load.

    I would not had posted this if it was some thing that i could had clearly seen as a issue such as a sign of my hardware capping out.

    None of this explains how i can go from ultra settings (no shadows) and 17 to 20 fps to low render all sliders to low and keep the same fps. Even changing to full screen mode and dropping to 800x600 res gives no fps increase and that should sky rocket the fps.
    I even loaded fraps to double check the fps since it was unbelievable that 800x600 did not increase the fps for me.
    I am fairly sure this is some thing on my end not trions. I am just hoping for some insight from Trion as to what could be the problem.

    I have been here since closed beta took a couple month break recently and this is a issue i have had since coming back.
    I do not remember this issue when i was running my 8800 ultra cards so it may be related to the card change but if it was shouldnt my card be showing the strain point on precision window?

    Later today ill have my wife check on here system to see if she gets a increase changing settings.

  7. #7
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skarrj View Post
    Cause of your CPU and not GPU!
    After seeing spec... QFT!

  8. #8
    Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sariina View Post
    Yeah, I'm with Retsopmi, I mean . . . it can't possibly be that when piles of polygon data has to be processed by your CPU that it might in fact have trouble processing it all and getting it over to your video card . . . which you can see with things like turn super sampling on and you'll notice your Max FPS out in shimmersand gets cut in half, but your min FPS in a city barely even changes. . .

    yeah . . .
    The OP didn't even list his CPU. So when noobs come in and pop off the generic "It's the CPU" phrase, they are ******ed. Also that isn't a CPU issue that is a CODING issue. They need to fix the way the coding interacts with stuff.

    There are plenty of games, including MMO's, that far surpass the Rift graphics that don't suffer from these issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfetx View Post
    Ok specs are..
    windows vista 64
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    8 gigs ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    res i am running 1920 x 1200
    MotherBoard is a Asus m2n32-sli deluxe

    Yes, i run evga precision to and have side bar monitor gadgets for both the cpu and gpu.
    The core are never maxed out. Normally during game play the bounce from 50% use to 80% use but never max out.Its a older cpu i know but at 3.2 ( i am actually at 3240mhz per core atm) its still faster than a lot of the multi core cpus out today. It falls behind on the fsb and cache. I do plan a new build later this year.

    The 550ti is above normal budget cards and well behind top end gaming cards. It was a fast fix to my gtx 8800 ultra cards dieing a couple months ago.
    Monitoring Places this under rift load at 43% gpu memory usage and 60% gpu load.

    I would not had posted this if it was some thing that i could had clearly seen as a issue such as a sign of my hardware capping out.

    None of this explains how i can go from ultra settings (no shadows) and 17 to 20 fps to low render all sliders to low and keep the same fps. Even changing to full screen mode and dropping to 800x600 res gives no fps increase and that should sky rocket the fps.
    I even loaded fraps to double check the fps since it was unbelievable that 800x600 did not increase the fps for me.
    I am fairly sure this is some thing on my end not trions. I am just hoping for some insight from Trion as to what could be the problem.

    I have been here since closed beta took a couple month break recently and this is a issue i have had since coming back.
    I do not remember this issue when i was running my 8800 ultra cards so it may be related to the card change but if it was shouldnt my card be showing the strain point on precision window?

    Later today ill have my wife check on here system to see if she gets a increase changing settings.
    While your CPU isn't the greatest it should do the job good enough. I had a Athlon x2 6400 back in beta of the game and at first launch with a 3870 ati card that got the same performance as my I7 950, Gtx gets now.

    There is something wonky going on. After I first built this system and played Rift I was getting 60+ FPS all the time on default Ultra. Fast forward a few months and it is 60+ solo and 15-20 in a group. All the while my GPU never goes above 45% and is sitting at 35% most the time. So check your EVGA Precision and see what it tells you. I've noticed that even in a RoS, GSB raid my GPU never goes past 35%. I even asked if anyone else noticed this and a few others said theirs is doing the same thing. We all had 500 series cards. So this could be a 500 series issue with this game.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Wolfetx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sariina View Post
    After seeing spec... QFT!
    Is that to say it is a cpu issue? A little more info would be helpful thanks.
    Surly it is not a core speed issue since 3.2 is still a competitive core speed.
    I could see it being a cpu issue with cache maybe.
    This still would not explain the no change dropping down to low render and 800x600 res would it?

    This system as it stands gets 50 to 60 fps in mass effect 3 at full on settings.
    In swtor i was getting 40 to 50 fps on fleet (close to being in sanc).
    Wow i can get 40 to 50 fps in stormwind and stay above 40 fps in full on raid situations.

    I just like to find why and fix it.

  10. #10
    Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfetx View Post
    Is that to say it is a cpu issue? A little more info would be helpful thanks.
    Surly it is not a core speed issue since 3.2 is still a competitive core speed.
    I could see it being a cpu issue with cache maybe.
    This still would not explain the no change dropping down to low render and 800x600 res would it?

    This system as it stands gets 50 to 60 fps in mass effect 3 at full on settings.
    In swtor i was getting 40 to 50 fps on fleet (close to being in sanc).
    Wow i can get 40 to 50 fps in stormwind and stay above 40 fps in full on raid situations.

    I just like to find why and fix it.
    Core speed matters little anymore in the world of CPUs. Cache size has become the defining factor. A x2 athlon while fast has very limited cache. So a newer cpu of slower speed but much greater cache will get more information through then the athlon series.

    As I said above I ran the same chip with a 3870 and never had issues in beta/launch of Rift. On high was getting 30+ FPS constant even in major Rifts. The only thing that killed it was the RoS even but even then it wasn't that much of a drop.

    Go to now with a much better chip and a much better video card and I get much lower FPS then before. They have made major changes to the way the game works though. Back then they either loaded people or they didn't. Now they try and stream it, hence all the green pillars around people. Things like this, coupled with other changes, have caused the game to work less optimized then it did before.

  11. #11
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfetx View Post
    Is that to say it is a cpu issue? A little more info would be helpful thanks.
    Surly it is not a core speed issue since 3.2 is still a competitive core speed.
    I could see it being a cpu issue with cache maybe.
    This still would not explain the no change dropping down to low render and 800x600 res would it?
    Actually yes, it does explain it. The CPU is feeding your video card data at a certain rate, that data is not based on screen resolution (IE, polygon data). Your video card then takes that data and makes it in to a pretty picture for your screen. Since it's waiting around for data from your CPU, it can draw the screen as fast as your CPU can provide it with frames, no matter the screen resolution or with screen effects that are handled exclusively by your video card.

  12. #12
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    40

    Default

    lol, core speed matters A LOT. I clocked my fx-8120 from 3.1 to 3.8 and noticed a 9fps increase. As for the GPU usage - ITS A CPU BOTTLENECK! Yes it may sound crazy, but RIFT is highly CPU bound, clock your cpu higher and you will get better performance that you will notice even without benchmarks.

    Just get a 2500k/2600k or something similiar from IB and clock it to 4.0+ and you will do just fine.
    FX-8120 4.0ghz OC | GTX560 925mhz OC | 8GB 1600mhz | Corsair Force GT 90GB
    GSB 5/5 | ROS 4/4 | GP 4/4 | DH 4/4 | HK 11/11 | ROTP 4/4 | ID 5/8 | PF 4/4

  13. #13
    Ascendant Violacea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neggert View Post
    lol, core speed matters A LOT. I clocked my fx-8120 from 3.1 to 3.8 and noticed a 9fps increase. As for the GPU usage - ITS A CPU BOTTLENECK! Yes it may sound crazy, but RIFT is highly CPU bound, clock your cpu higher and you will get better performance that you will notice even without benchmarks.

    Just get a 2500k/2600k or something similiar from IB and clock it to 4.0+ and you will do just fine.
    No, what they mean by core speed doesn't matter that much is, my old cpu was an e6850 3.0ghz. Compare that to an i5-2500 at stock speeds of 3.3ghz and it's not simply just '300 mhz' faster. It's actually not it at all. Extreme overclockers took P4's to 3.2 - 4.0ghz back in the early 2000's. Even on a single core basis it's not near as fast. Thats why one of the test tomshardware does is a normalized clockspeed test. They get a bunch of CPU's and find a common clock speed they all can hit to show more of the difference between the pure architecture advantages and ignore clock speed factors. In this case, the OP imo was just expecting more out of their CPU because it had a good clock speed.

    Yes, core speed does a lot when overclocking a singular isolated cpu. As I love my oc @ 4.4ghz and very well noticed a boost. Think that is the differnece they were getting at ^.^

    Overall still right though, cpu bottlenecking. It seems there must be a point where you don't need as much cpu power then. Because @ 4.4ghz on a 2500k my core 3 always hits 100%, but the other 3 stay 60 - 80% usually. My video card however always puts itself to 97 - 99% gpu load. So I guess maybe I just have the inverse of more cpu power the game needs. But it would still show a good relation of having to keep all parts up to par with one another.

    Funny enough, my cpu now, the 2500k, 8gb ram, w7, 20gb SSD cache drive, overall newer parts etc run better with my 8800gt than my old cpu did with a 570. The old cpu was the e6850/3.2gb ram, windows xp, no special cache drive. In the equation having a overall more powerful cpu lacking a bit in video card was better than having a very dated computer with a high powered video card.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

  14. #14
    Shadowlander Rielane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Not read all the posts but yeah i too have problems with GeForce GTX 550 Ti

    I can not even get any higher then 44fps or something cant remember off top of my head but i know it not go no higher then that.

    And i also have 4 CPU's at 3.2ghz and more then enough RAM to Run the game i simply don't understand why this newer card sucks for FPS compared to my old crap one which was a GeForce 9600 GT

    I too would like to know why this game suffers badly with nVidia Cards my friends use different cards and they run fine no lag from FPS its horrid in Raids sometimes i attack stuff that isnt even there lol

  15. #15
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    93

    Default

    How about Trion respond as to why performance get worse after each patch. It's pretty pathetic that high end hardware get so bad performance. Before people blame that it was in alpha/beta. But it's been live for awhile now.... so can you stop adding stuff to the engine and start fixing it first?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts