+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Horrible performance.

  1. #1
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    242

    Default Horrible performance.

    How the hell do you get this game to run properly? first of all it doesn't seem to even use sli. I have been tweaking the nvidia control panel all night and nothing I do either makes sli work, or improves performance at all. Second its using like 40% of my systems resources at max, surly since its running so horribly it should be using more resources right? I am running an amd 1090t @ 3.6ghx with 8gigs of 1333 ddr3 ram and sli gtx 570's which should be more than enough to max this game out, yet no matter what I set the game to (low render or everything maxed) it stays @ 30fps or under.

    I love this game and have been playing pretty much since beta( I left for a couple months after my first guild died) but it seems to me performance has been getting worse and worse since the game has launched and no-one knows why, but yet you still see posts like this on the forums almost every day. I dont know if Trion plans to do anything about it or of they simply don't have the time( I know they have been putting out a lot of content, and there is a huge expansion on the way) but I don't think I have ever seen them even address the issue. I love this game but I just dont know how much longer I can go on playing at 20 fps every time I raid or pvp or do zone events.

    I'm going to try and re-download this game tonight but if that doesn't help I really don't know what my options are. so please if you any tricks that will help optimize this game for sli, or just help it in general let me know.

  2. #2
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    81

    Default

    why do you put your computer setup in your sig?
    what is wrong with you?

  3. #3
    Ascendant Rounded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haptiic View Post
    How the hell do you get this game to run properly? first of all it doesn't seem to even use sli. I have been tweaking the nvidia control panel all night and nothing I do either makes sli work, or improves performance at all. Second its using like 40% of my systems resources at max, surly since its running so horribly it should be using more resources right? I am running an amd 1090t @ 3.6ghx with 8gigs of 1333 ddr3 ram and sli gtx 570's which should be more than enough to max this game out, yet no matter what I set the game to (low render or everything maxed) it stays @ 30fps or under.

    I love this game and have been playing pretty much since beta( I left for a couple months after my first guild died) but it seems to me performance has been getting worse and worse since the game has launched and no-one knows why, but yet you still see posts like this on the forums almost every day. I dont know if Trion plans to do anything about it or of they simply don't have the time( I know they have been putting out a lot of content, and there is a huge expansion on the way) but I don't think I have ever seen them even address the issue. I love this game but I just dont know how much longer I can go on playing at 20 fps every time I raid or pvp or do zone events.

    I'm going to try and re-download this game tonight but if that doesn't help I really don't know what my options are. so please if you any tricks that will help optimize this game for sli, or just help it in general let me know.
    SLI is worthless unless you run big resolutions. Also, if you're sitting in sanctum/meridian you won't get massive performance because your CPU is sitting at full load thanks to all players and NPC's around there. Want more FPS? Swap to Intel and overclock that. I bet you that you'll get massive FPS jump when you zone out of sanctum/meridian.

  4. #4
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rounded View Post
    SLI is worthless unless you run big resolutions. Also, if you're sitting in sanctum/meridian you won't get massive performance because your CPU is sitting at full load thanks to all players and NPC's around there. Want more FPS? Swap to Intel and overclock that. I bet you that you'll get massive FPS jump when you zone out of sanctum/meridian.
    At max my cpu hits 40% so I highly doubt that is it,and I wouldn't know how useless sli is since its doesn't even work right now. I reinstalled last night and it seems to have helped for now,we'll see how long that lasts.

    edit - Also whenever I try to run the game with rift.exe it tells me there is an error but it runs fine with riftpatchlive.exe, this continued after I reinstalled last night. anyone know why this might be?
    Last edited by Haptiic; 06-24-2012 at 07:07 AM.

  5. #5
    Champion AtomicUniverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    517

    Default

    You really should use 1600 Mhz RAM for optimal performance.

  6. #6
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicUniverse View Post
    You really should use 1600 Mhz RAM for optimal performance.
    I could try overclocking my ram a bit, but I just spent 100$ on my ram less than a year ago so I don't really want to spend more money. any particular reason I want 1600Mhz? or just because its faster.

  7. #7
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haptiic View Post
    I could try overclocking my ram a bit, but I just spent 100$ on my ram less than a year ago so I don't really want to spend more money. any particular reason I want 1600Mhz? or just because its faster.
    I very mouch doubt you'd see your memory speed change your FPS at all . . . FOr me, going from 1600 to 2133 gained an average of 3FPS on over 70 . . . so 4% or so.

    One thing you may want to check out is http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...61.62.49.48.47 . . . Notice how your CPU destroys the G620 in highly multithread operations, but then kind of trades blows with a sandy bridge based 80 dollar CPU in games?

    Yeah . . . AMD . . . Not for Gaming.

    or tey this one: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...62.50.49.48.47 your vs an i3-2100. . .

  8. #8
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sariina View Post
    I very mouch doubt you'd see your memory speed change your FPS at all . . . FOr me, going from 1600 to 2133 gained an average of 3FPS on over 70 . . . so 4% or so.

    One thing you may want to check out is http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...61.62.49.48.47 . . . Notice how your CPU destroys the G620 in highly multithread operations, but then kind of trades blows with a sandy bridge based 80 dollar CPU in games?

    Yeah . . . AMD . . . Not for Gaming.

    or tey this one: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...62.50.49.48.47 your vs an i3-2100. . .
    You can still see in both of those benchmarks that most games still run at at least 50 fps, let alone under30.also I don't see how my cpu can be a bottle neck if on average its only using 40% with only Foobar running in the background.

    On a somewhat positive note with a fresh install I have been getting good enough fps in everything minus sanctum, so if it stays this way I can deal with it.I just don't get how nothing I do impacts fps at all, even switching between Super sampling and no AA I only see a 1-2 fps change. and I still cant sli to work at all,which I'm sure would be a huge help.

  9. #9
    Rift Master Sonoko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    658

    Default

    The reason it can be your CPU is because while Rift is multithreaded, it's not nearly as well multithreaded as something like Prime95 which is capable of taking all of your cores up to 100% without issue, nor from a programming standpoint is it really feasible for a game to ever reach that point either.

    I have an i7 3770K @ 4.2ghz, a single GTX 570, and 16GB of 1600mhz ddr3 running dual channel. With a modified Ultra that has no shadows, ambient occlusion, or fullscreen FX, I am CPU bottlenecked virtually everywhere in Rift. This is especially apparent in Meridian (40-50 fps), or fighting Scerrion in EI (15-18 fps), the variance being the amount of people present.

    I can easily change my CPU multiplier real-time to demonstrate this:
    Right now in Meridian, with my CPU clocked at 4.2ghz, I'm getting 40 FPS. 42% CPU usage. Cores 1, 2, and 4 on my CPU are hitting around 30% usage, and the 3rd, which has Rift's main thread bound to it, gets to about 80%.
    Now I underclocked to 1.6ghz, and I'm getting 16 fps. Average 45% CPU usage. Now my cores are running at roughly 40%, 30%, 80%, 30%.
    Keep in mind that none of these are exact, since there's dozens of people running around Meridian right now causing constant fluctuations, but it demonstrates the point well enough. I also can consistently notice FPS growth just by gradually clocking the CPU up in 100mhz increments, even beyond the 4.2ghz I run it at regularly.

    Seeing as Rift binds it's main thread to the third core, this observation makes sense. For whatever reason, Rift is unable to push it's main thread beyond ~80% core usage for any significant length of time. In both cases it's running at its peak capability, which causes a significant bottleneck and only one of the other cores even works the slightest bit harder, despite the fact that they're all running at under 40% of the speed.

    Really, I absolutely love this game, but it's apparent that it's CPU optimization leaves a *lot* to be desired, and I would not be surprised whatsoever if you were still being CPU bottlenecked at an overclock of 7ghz on liquid helium.

    I would be absolutely baffled if you didn't notice a significant frame rate increase in highly populated areas just by swapping out your CPU for an i5 2500K or i5 3570K.
    Last edited by Sonoko; 06-24-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    (V)    (V)
    ミ(◕‿◕。)彡

  10. #10
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonoko View Post
    The reason it can be your CPU is because while Rift is multithreaded, it's not nearly as well multithreaded as something like Prime95 which is capable of taking all of your cores up to 100% without issue, nor from a programming standpoint is it really feasible for a game to ever reach that point either.

    I have an i7 3770K @ 4.2ghz, a single GTX 570, and 16GB of 1600mhz ddr3 running dual channel. With a modified Ultra that has no shadows, ambient occlusion, or fullscreen FX, I am CPU bottlenecked virtually everywhere in Rift. This is especially apparent in Meridian (40-50 fps), or fighting Scerrion in EI (15-18 fps), the variance being the amount of people present.

    I can easily change my CPU multiplier real-time to demonstrate this:
    Right now in Meridian, with my CPU clocked at 4.2ghz, I'm getting 40 FPS. 42% CPU usage. Cores 1, 2, and 4 on my CPU are hitting around 30% usage, and the 3rd, which has Rift's main thread bound to it, gets to about 80%.
    Now I underclocked to 1.6ghz, and I'm getting 16 fps. Average 45% CPU usage. Now my cores are running at roughly 40%, 30%, 80%, 30%.
    Keep in mind that none of these are exact, since there's dozens of people running around Meridian right now causing constant fluctuations, but it demonstrates the point well enough. I also can consistently notice FPS growth just by gradually clocking the CPU up in 100mhz increments, even beyond the 4.2ghz I run it at regularly.

    Seeing as Rift binds it's main thread to the third core, this observation makes sense. For whatever reason, Rift is unable to push it's main thread beyond ~80% core usage for any significant length of time. In both cases it's running at its peak capability, which causes a significant bottleneck and only one of the other cores even works the slightest bit harder, despite the fact that they're all running at under 40% of the speed.

    Really, I absolutely love this game, but it's apparent that it's CPU optimization leaves a *lot* to be desired, and I would not be surprised whatsoever if you were still being CPU bottlenecked at an overclock of 7ghz on liquid helium.

    I would be absolutely baffled if you didn't notice a significant frame rate increase in highly populated areas just by swapping out your CPU for an i5 2500K or i5 3570K.
    So basically I deal with how horribly optimized his game is for multiple cores or I go spend 500 + dollars on a new cpu and motherboard? I guess I'll just continue praying they fix whatever is wrong every time there is a new patch.

  11. #11
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haptiic View Post
    On a somewhat positive note with a fresh install I have been getting good enough fps in everything minus sanctum, so if it stays this way I can deal with it.I just don't get how nothing I do impacts fps at all, even switching between Super sampling and no AA I only see a 1-2 fps change. and I still cant sli to work at all,which I'm sure would be a huge help.
    The reason you don't see a difference super sampling is that this function is handled almost exclusively by your video card. Since your video card is sitting around waiting for data from your CPU anyway it has plenty of time to draw more pixels than fit on the screen and average them all out.

  12. #12
    Rift Chaser Bivrington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    346

    Default

    I used to have the 1090t OCed to 4.0ghz, ran at about 30% GPU usage at all times, and terrible framerates. Upgraded to an i5 2500k and my gpu usage jumped to 90%+, and I am able to get better framerates at higher settings.

    Hate to say it, but your CPU doesnt like Rift.
    Too weird to live, too rare to die.

  13. #13
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bivrington View Post
    I used to have the 1090t OCed to 4.0ghz, ran at about 30% GPU usage at all times, and terrible framerates. Upgraded to an i5 2500k and my gpu usage jumped to 90%+, and I am able to get better framerates at higher settings.

    Hate to say it, but your CPU doesnt like Rift.

    That really sucks because I cant really justify upgrading my motherboard/cpu and possible ram just to run this game. I guess I will just have to deal with it untill they either fix it, or a better game comes along(which I don't really see happening for a while tbh, I really do love this game).

  14. #14
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haptiic View Post
    That really sucks because I cant really justify upgrading my motherboard/cpu and possible ram just to run this game. I guess I will just have to deal with it untill they either fix it, or a better game comes along(which I don't really see happening for a while tbh, I really do love this game).
    Don't listen to these people telling you to upgrade your CPU, my i5 2.8ghz only used 30% when playing rift and my new amd 4.2 gh zambezi black edition only uses around 15%. the game is just poorly optimized, I say deal with it or move on to another game. I don't know how long I personally can take this terribad performance to be honest, my ati 7850 is overkill for this game and I only get 25-30 fps in sanctum lol

  15. #15
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vickuz View Post
    Don't listen to these people telling you to upgrade your CPU, my i5 2.8ghz only used 30% when playing rift and my new amd 4.2 gh zambezi black edition only uses around 15%. the game is just poorly optimized, I say deal with it or move on to another game. I don't know how long I personally can take this terribad performance to be honest, my ati 7850 is overkill for this game and I only get 25-30 fps in sanctum lol
    Though it may be a i5-2300 that you have, I'm assuming you meant an i5-760 . . .

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...i=60.61.62.129

    Notice how the change from 2.8Ghz to 3.1Ghz is only a 10.7% increase in clock rate, and in games like Gears of War you see a 9.4% increase in frame rate . . . but games like World of Warcraft you see a 25.2% increase or Starcraft where you see a 30.7% increase.

    yeah . . . Could never ever possibly have anything to do with CPU at all ever.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts