+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How well does Rift support 3way & 4way SLI/Xfire scaling?

Soulwalker

Default How well does Rift support 3way & 4way SLI/Xfire scaling?

I'm coming back to play Rift...for sure when Storm Legion comes but likely sooner.

When last I played my current rig ran Rift on max settings pretty well with a 2600K@4.5 & 2xGTX580 running on a single 30 @ 2560x1600 with max settings.

However I've since upgraded to 3x30in so I now game at 7680x1600 (technically 7880 if you count bezel management) and 2 GTX580's doesn't even come close to cutting it anymore (with only 1.5GB VRAM I cant even run shadows or AA at all which wasn't surprising).

I knew I would have to upgrade my rig anyway when i bought the 2 additional monitors but more then likely I'll be building a new one with a 4way capable motherboard. I'll be building a 3 or 4 GPU rig (4 cards if I think the games I typically play will scale well with a 4th card). I have a choice to make between the 4GB 680's or the 6GB 7970's. Or possibly the "gtx685" if it actually comes out in time before I pull the trigger on the new rig.

My big questions are:

1) How well foes Rift handle 3way and 4way GPU scaling? Different games do better or worse.

2) Also does Rift scale better with SLI or CrossFire (some games seem to handle one better then the other)?
    Last edited by Kedoyn-old; 06-16-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Throwing more graphics cards won't solve the DPS issue you have, upgrading and overclocking your CPU is the most solid way of getting better performance out of Rift. Also, running without any addons even installed will give you a 5-25% performance increase thanks to how addon framework is setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Rounded View Post
    Throwing more graphics cards won't solve the DPS issue you have, upgrading and overclocking your CPU is the most solid way of getting better performance out of Rift. Also, running without any addons even installed will give you a 5-25% performance increase thanks to how addon framework is setup.
    I agree with you on the video cards, but he has a 2600K, which is a GREAT CPU to overclock. With water cooling or at least a good CPU cooler (even a $29 Cooler Master 212+ will work wonders), that CPU should overclock up to 4.8 GHz on water, and 4.4GHz on air.

Going 3/4 way SLI/Crossfire won't net you very much. When I was running 2 ATI 4870x2 (quad GPU's), the difference in FPS with only 1 card (2 GPUs) and 4 was only about a 25% improvement. Going to my water cooled GTX 580 was a great improvement (about 50% more than having 4 older GPUs), so I'm doubting that having another GTX 580, much less 3 or 4 will be the "best bang for the buck".

Maybe upgrading to the newer GTX 690 will do better (not sure), but I'm not sure it will be worth throwing away 2 GTX 580s. But that would be his call.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

Soulwalker

As I stated in my original post I'm running a 2600k overclocked to 4.5 (water cooled - I could probably push it to 4.8). But I doubt I am CPU bound right now.

I'm for sure VRAM bound with only 1.5GB per card. Thats easily fixed by going to 4GB GTX 680's (cand go with the 690 since they only have 2GB per GPU and thats now going to be enough for my resolution).

Which then leads back to can I get much out of a 3rd or 4th 680?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedoyn-old View Post
    As I stated in my original post I'm running a 2600k overclocked to 4.5 (water cooled - I could probably push it to 4.8). But I doubt I am CPU bound right now.

I'm for sure VRAM bound with only 1.5GB per card. Thats easily fixed by going to 4GB GTX 680's (cand go with the 690 since they only have 2GB per GPU and thats now going to be enough for my resolution).

Which then leads back to can I get much out of a 3rd or 4th 680?
    You should be able to squeeze out another 25%, maybe, for a second GTX 680 as opposed to just a single GTX 680 ... MAYBE.

But the real question is, is that worth another $535?

I mean if you are going to throw down $1070 for a pair of video cards, I'd just go with an EVGA GTX 690 video card with 4GB memory. It is basically 2 GTX 680s on one card.

Of course, depending on the water cooling loop you have, you could always go with 2 GTX 680's from EVGA in the form of the $699 each Hydro Copper 2 cards, which are already set up for water cooling.

EVGA is also going to release the Hydro Copper 2 for the GTX 690 ... but that hasn't happened yet, and will most likely cost about $1200 ... but it will be THE BOSS card to have for people like us who are into water cooling.

Here is the GTX 690 Hydro, which should be out in about 2 weeks or so ...

http://i.imgur.com/uBEus.jpg

Here is a video preview ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRY3zQqzGMk
    Last edited by Proclus_Lycaeus; 06-19-2012 at 05:37 PM.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

Plane Touched

True.

You should try Defilemancer to fix your DPS issue. It's tough to get used to but the damage output can be pretty rewarding. Make sure you use all of your consumables and pop your Spell Power trinket before you start the boss fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedoyn-old View Post
    I'm coming back to play Rift...for sure when Storm Legion comes but likely sooner.

When last I played my current rig ran Rift on max settings pretty well with a 2600K@4.5 & 2xGTX580 running on a single 30 @ 2560x1600 with max settings.

However I've since upgraded to 3x30in so I now game at 7680x1600 (technically 7880 if you count bezel management) and 2 GTX580's doesn't even come close to cutting it anymore (with only 1.5GB VRAM I cant even run shadows or AA at all which wasn't surprising).

I knew I would have to upgrade my rig anyway when i bought the 2 additional monitors but more then likely I'll be building a new one with a 4way capable motherboard. I'll be building a 3 or 4 GPU rig (4 cards if I think the games I typically play will scale well with a 4th card). I have a choice to make between the 4GB 680's or the 6GB 7970's. Or possibly the "gtx685" if it actually comes out in time before I pull the trigger on the new rig.

My big questions are:

1) How well foes Rift handle 3way and 4way GPU scaling? Different games do better or worse.

2) Also does Rift scale better with SLI or CrossFire (some games seem to handle one better then the other)?
    Dang, wish I had your funds to splash on my kit!

+ Reply to Thread