+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Lag/disconnection issues.

Soulwalker

Default Lag/disconnection issues.

I've been having a problem with Rift since I started back up a few days ago that I did not have when I played before. I do not have this problem with any other MMO's, (played Age of Conan for 3 hours straight in the middle of this) and it's starting to get a little frustrated. I cannot seem to establish a solid internet connection with the game. There are very frequent disconnects, sometimes immediately after I log in, and when I do manage to play I get lag spikes that last for up to 15 seconds one right after the other. I have not been able to play for more than 20 minutes without disconnecting. I played when this game first came out for a few months with no problems, and I have made zero changes to my computer hardware in that time. I have done driver updates, internet connection test, and even shut down firewalls and every non essential program to figure out what is going on and I'm just stumped now.

Operating System new server roles
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
    3.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
    256 kilobyte primary memory cache
    2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Not hyper-threaded
    Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M3A Rev 1.xx
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0301 10/22/2007
    NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT [Display adapter]
    Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller
    ↑ NETGEAR WNDA3100v2 N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter
    2048 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Soulwalker

Came here to see if anyone else was having problems. I'm having all the same issues. Just an educated guess, but the rift servers (shards) seem to not be liking the 1.8 patch, and could be a reason for the problems. If this is the case, there is nothing you can really do, except wait for them to fix it.

What shard do you play on? I'm on Threesprings, and my comp spec are comparable to your computer's.
    Last edited by kdannok; 04-20-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Soulwalker

I've been getting the same lag/disconnection problems since the 1.8 patch.
    I play from Australia so a 300-400ms connection to the server is not unreasonable, but over the last few days I've seen it as high as 13,000ms.

My main was on Deepwood, but I blew the weekly transfer and moved to Laethys to see if there was any improvement, but there wasn't.

Soulwalker

Same here. Since 1.8 went live, I keep getting lag spikes which, as healer being main spec, makes dungeoning impossible. So what can we do? Just 'wait' until they fix it? My partner had lag issues a while back and Trion kept suggesting it was our end, our servers, our IP, etc

Soulwalker

I'm also experiencing this. I have two internet connections at home (Comcast and DSL), tried switching between them but I still experience the same symptoms -- 15 second lag spikes and/or random disconnections. Didn't experience this the first day that 1.8 went live, but it started yesterday and seems to be getting worse.

Soulwalker

im also having terrible latency issues. i run windows 7 and live outside city limits of town so i lack any options on true dsl but i use verizon mobile broadband internet thru use of one of their fivespot devices. ive played WoW and League of Legends on this net and have had a fair share of spikes here and there. but since coming to Rift now ive never seen anything like this. i have an average latency on good days of something between 150-200ms which is absolutely manageable and playable in both pve and pvp. but lately--esp since 1.8--i can log on and find my latency rising to numbers as high as 350,000ms!!! ive never seen numbers like this in any game ive ever played. 1000 yes... 2000 rarely... 3000? by then im dced already! but 350K?! what is this?!?! ive read forums from almost a year ago where this was happening to people and yet i still see it happening almost everytime theres a patch? i dont enjoy wondering whether or not ill be allowed to play when i log in... esp not being new to Rift (like in any MMO) theres a lot of gearing up and learning mechanics and farming whatever necessary currencies and attunements for your first toon that are needed to begin raiding and this latency is a huge setback to progressing in that direction.

Soulwalker

To the people who are affected by this: is it a constant issue or does it only happen at certain times?

I've been logged on for a few hours without any problems, then my ping skyrocketed at exactly 11.30pm server time and has been nearly unplayable since.

WoW had a similar issue in late WotLK. It turns out some servers along the chain (I believe Virgin Media was one) were throttling the game traffic after mistaking it for Bittorrent data. I wonder if something similar is happening here?

Same issues..got really bad today, I have a year old quad core computer - i 7 2600 4 gigs ram, 1 Terabyte harddrive, am crashing every two minutes, this has caused me some deaths, as I tend to do source well invasions on Ember Isle.

I can't stay connected, never ever had this problem before, I have rebooted both my computers..we are on a wireless hub/lan set up. Never had problems with Rift, matter of fact I was part of alpha test. Game ran smoothly. I have rebooted and defragged both machines, checked for apps that might be interfering..I am at my wit's end, not sure what is going on..BUT I do note that Greenscale's population has gone way down this evening.

Also I am on Pacific time, and I notice I start having these problems from about 10:30 pm onward. Seems to let up a little near lunch time the next day..then gets progressively worse as the day goes on. Ruined my dungeon experience (expert) entirely.

Please do something about it Trion.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Barraiya View Post
    WoW had a similar issue in late WotLK. It turns out some servers along the chain (I believe Virgin Media was one) were throttling the game traffic after mistaking it for Bittorrent data. I wonder if something similar is happening here?
    No probs until patch 1.8.
    Now I can barley get in game - takes many attempts, usually giving me a 'problem with my connection error 2025' - all my other online gamings are smooth as silk. When I do get in-game there is no point trying to play as the lag is so bad it takes 3 mins for a dialogue box to open after clicking an NPC, that's if the connection holds that long ...

Bit dissapointing as I've just resubbed for a year and was so looking forward to a spot of fishing, ho hum.

And yes I am on Virgin Media at home.

I'm posting this from work PC as I can't even get these forum pages to load at home.

Trion please have a word with Virgin perhaps?

Soulwalker

Been having same issues since 1.8 came live. IInet is my internet provider and never had latency like this b4. can jump from 40ms up to 300,000ms within seconds.

Soulwalker

Default Lag

Quote Originally Posted by Karan View Post
    Been having same issues since 1.8 came live. IInet is my internet provider and never had latency like this b4. can jump from 40ms up to 300,000ms within seconds.
    I have the same isp and same issue. Great game but un playable atm

Id advise u get used to it, been like this for a while. Only thing that saves my game-play experience is running lowerping. Even then lowerping doesn't save u from mass server dc's which tend to happen.
    Chrish @ Wolfsbane

Didn't really start to have extreme lag issues untill this weekend....the server dc's are nothing new though. Trion needs to jump on this asap though.....nothing worse than dcing wile tanking a dungeon then comming back only to find your pary wiped numerous times.....or it could be funny. depends on how you look at it lol.
    Was doing fine after they did that bit of tweaking to the servers a wile back then 1.8 hit and everything went to hell....

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sapheros View Post
    ... then 1.8 hit and everything went to hell....
    Amen to that!

Trion, please have a word with the relevant/guilty ISPs.

Soulwalker

On second thoughts, don't bother having a word with Virgin Media (who admit to 'Traffic Managment' between 5pm and midnight but say this does not equate to 'throttling' ... haha) because I'm changing ISP now.

Bye bye to VM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast