+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By azazel01

Thread: 30% or what?

  1. #1
    Shadowlander azazel01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    46

    Default 30% or what?

    I have read many threads both here and in tech support sites like "Tomshardware", and all pretty much lead to the same thing. Rift, no matter your spec, will ONLY use 30% of all resources available. Even worst, that 30% gets administered at Rifts beck and call. So much so, that it will not think twice before throttling your GPU in order to allocate a set amount of that 30% elsewhere where needed. If this is true, my question then is: Is there a way i can increase it's resource allocation? Is there a "Third Party Software", patch file, or ANYTHING, that can manipulate this therefore allowing an increase?

    Currently Running:Intel-Core-i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    GTX 680 EVGA Hydro Copper Edition
    9Gig Tri Channel Memory
    Bigfoot Killer 2100 Network Card

    Even with that config im only getting 30FPS max in Meridian and about 40-45 (V-sync to 60 enabled) in-raid. I have an IPS monitor so the V sync is a must since most IPS monitors cap at 60 for refresh rate. Yeah alot of folks say for gaming they suck, but, the one i have U2711 from dell has internal LCD overdrive which brings my ms to about 3. Not bad, considering most TFT's do about 2ms.

  2. #2
    Shield of Telara MaddBomber83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Texas, USA
    Posts
    695

    Default

    How do you like that 680 GTX?

    I have to question something on your system. As a comparision, I have a i5 2500K, 8gb Ram and a ATI 6970 (should be about 50-75% of the peformance of your system).

    Granted, I don't run with V-SYNC, but I get ~ 30-40 FPS in Meridian on a loaded server. Raid is about the same to be honest, all max (raid I drop the particle count so I can see the boss).

    So some odd things for sure that I would be getting similar peformance as you.


    NVIDIA has an adaptive VSYNC that it looks like you have on. If your FPS drops below a certain point it caps it at 30 FPS instead of 60 FPS. This could explain why I get more FPS in meridian.

    As for the hardware guys, I'm not sure what they are talking about.

    I get ~ 80% GPU Load, ~ 1gb VRAM usage, about 2-3 GB System RAM Usage, and about 75% CPU Usage (on all 4 Hyper threaded Cores).

    None of that says 30%.

    With max setting, Rift is a BEUTIFUL game. Since you have an NVIDIA card you should disable the in game AA and instead use the FXAA from the NVIDIA Control Panel. Similar levels of quality but at less of a performance hit.


    Also, RIFT is heavy on the CPU, I would venture to say that most group content you are CPU limited. By yourself, say on EI, your Graphics card, that I want (they are all out of stock!) would be the limit.

  3. #3
    Shadowlander azazel01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    46

    Default

    trust me, wasnt easy getting one. But well worth the investment. All other games run beatiful. Rift looks awsome as well, just the FPS thing bugs me. I do get 30 in meridian, but not constant. However, given my rig, i should be at 60 no matter where i am and what situation. Believe me, look around, almost all hardware tech sites that report on Rift's Performace have all said the same thing in regards to its resource allocation. Not to mention that Rift does not run on all cores. This however has been an issue since pre-launch. It seems that Trion is not worried about high end user's just yet. If leading by example was to be case, it took Blizzard 6 years to start catering to the high end user's demands. So were in for a ride....lol. On a interesting side note, i asked trion why they have not as of yet released a 64 bit client. Tho the response was a bit long and techie, in summary, they say that their goal is for everyone to be able to enjoy Rift. Meaning they do not want to release something that could only be used by a "Small" percentage of the crowd......lol.

  4. #4
    RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    MMOs are often played by a pretty large number of people who have older machines -- thus the "low quality renderer" option.

    It's a bit more complicated than "30% no matter what", but yes, Rift is very much bogged by a single very expensive thread. Maybe this will improve later; if not, though, CPUs will catch up.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  5. #5
    Shadowlander azazel01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    46

    Default

    I totally understand the whole "MMO for everyone thing". However, given that the game has proven to be greatly successful, and that more and more users are turning into the high end market of PC hardware, Trion should heavily consider the needs and demands these systems could handle. It could be introduced as a "Stand Alone Client" or something alike. I mean, having back to back content updates is the main reason why I've returned to rift and more then likely will be forever staying, but, it would surely be nice to see my rig burning all cylinders whenever I play rift; as it currently does with other games.....

  6. #6
    Shield of Telara MaddBomber83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Texas, USA
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    MMOs are often played by a pretty large number of people who have older machines -- thus the "low quality renderer" option.

    It's a bit more complicated than "30% no matter what", but yes, Rift is very much bogged by a single very expensive thread. Maybe this will improve later; if not, though, CPUs will catch up.

    Throw me in the boat of people who understand this. One of the reasons Starcraft is / was so successful is because it could be played world wide on hardware several generations old.

    With that said, we should continue to be vocal about our VERY STRONG desire to have both performance and quality upgrades for those with the hardware to support them. One day, one day!

  7. #7
    Shadowlander azazel01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaddBomber83 View Post
    Throw me in the boat of people who understand this. One of the reasons Starcraft is / was so successful is because it could be played world wide on hardware several generations old.

    With that said, we should continue to be vocal about our VERY STRONG desire to have both performance and quality upgrades for those with the hardware to support them. One day, one day!

    Hell yeah! That is all that I am asking. I defitnly want the low end users to be able to log in and enjoy the game. Hec, if it wasnt for them all MMO's would be stale due to lack of player. Nothing feels better the quing for LFG and getting in only minutes later. However, when it comes at the cost of playing at 1/4 the available horse power, thats the same as buying a Ferrari only to be able to drive it on the L.A. Freeway at 5pm in the afternoon......

  8. #8
    RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Gamebryo certainly has a famous weakness here. Curious, though. What's a better-looking or at least as-good-looking MMO that runs well with 20-40 people on screen?
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  9. #9
    Shadowlander azazel01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Gamebryo certainly has a famous weakness here. Curious, though. What's a better-looking or at least as-good-looking MMO that runs well with 20-40 people on screen?
    I totally understand your point. However, this issue is not soley attributed to the capital city. Even in World of Warcraft (64)bit, standing in front of the main AH will most certainly strain even the most advanced systems. This problem is noted in ALL AREAS of the game. Standing in stone field, with absolutely no one around, not even an NPC, I get no more then 35-38 FPS. Obviously turning SAA off allows for V-Sync Cap FPS, but why should I reduce the enjoyment of the beatiful graphics in order to boost my FPS? In particular running such a high end configuration.
    Side Note: Wow, I did some more searching today and it seriosly seems like this thing, the FPS issue that is, is ticking people off something fierce. I think 60% of all "Technical Forum" post are related somehow to the FPS plauge.......lol

  10. #10
    Ahi
    Ahi is offline
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Gamebryo certainly has a famous weakness here. Curious, though. What's a better-looking or at least as-good-looking MMO that runs well with 20-40 people on screen?
    TERA, for one.

    Unreal Engine 3 vs. this gamebryo pos, it's not even the same sport.

  11. #11
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    84

    Default so....

    just bought a laptop. its an Asus G60JX with the smaller i5 in it. It pushes rift to 23-28 fps in meridian, was trying to get the most ppl possible on my screen at one time and jump around. Never tanked below 23, graphics are a bit above ultra. Any ideas on getting it to 30 without sacrificing to much graphics?
    Last edited by madroxz; 04-19-2012 at 04:43 AM. Reason: missing word???

  12. #12
    Shield of Telara MaddBomber83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Texas, USA
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Make sure AA and Occlusion is off.

    Also, set your graphics default to Medium, then increase the textures and the AF. That gives the most bang for buck imo.

  13. #13
    Shadowlander azazel01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahi View Post
    TERA, for one.

    Unreal Engine 3 vs. this gamebryo pos, it's not even the same sport.
    It's not even the same planet. I still would like to know WTF was Trion thinking mounting their game on such an outdated POS engine....

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts