+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Windows 8 Community Edition Alert!

Soulwalker

Default Windows 8 Community Edition Alert!

As of 02/29/2012, microsoft has released to the general public the Windows 8 Beta Release Called COMMUNITY RELEASE. DO NOT DOWNLOAD if you plan to play Rift. I have experienced Numerous Issues with Rift because of it. 1 instance for example is when using a porticulum to teleport. If by the second usage of one windows 8 will clash with Rift and cause RIft to freeze 100% except you may hear the birds chirping or such or your character being killed. Also if you attempt to ALT-Tab to switch back and forth between Rift and another screen, it will not let you. SO DO NOT Install the beta of Windows 8 if YOU at least plan to try and and honestly, sad to say in my humble opinion: Micorsoft has attempted to make Windows 8 a Tablet like environment almost mimicking Android or Apple's Ipad technology. It is viable for tablet usage but not for a desktop or Laptop in my belief from 25+ years of OS Usage.
    Hope this helps those before they run into issues I experienced and am not having to rebuild my whole laptop to run RIFT and numerous other programs INCLUDING Skype which just hangs when i start it. Yes I know many of you will say "But it's a beta." Then My answer to you is.."Why release it to the public if it is unstable even to run Skype or RIft"
    Thank you for listening.
    Wolf/Gallente

Wow, you even got it to start under the Windows 8 Consumer Preview... Remarkable feat. ;)
    But as with any beta software, you should not attempt using it for everyday use unless you are fully aware of the potential risks it may cause (such as not being able to play your games in the case of an OS).
    Desktop: Intel Core i7 2600k @4.8ghz | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 590 | 8GB Kingston DDR3 1333mhz | ASUS P8Z68-gen3 Deluxe s-1155 | 3x WD Caviar 500gb's RAID-0
    Gear: Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME, Microsoft SideWinder X4, Steelseries Sensei and Razer Goliathus CONTROL with ASUS VE278Q 27" LED Monitor x2

Soulwalker

Default yes, you should not run a beta but...don't promote it as stable when it's not. :)

Yes but Cleaf...one thing. WHY In a god's name would you release a beta to the public in the first place if you are not touting it as "STABLE". Simply put I run all OS's from Nix flavors to Mac to Windows and I've done plenty of beta's even the alpha of Windows 7 and 8. The only thing I was saying was that Microsoft is GIVING It for free limited time run OS to the public so I was saying do not install unless you don't want play a game or even run 80% of your programs. You can go to MS"s website and download it for free so it was just a warning. I know better i was just testing it to see the stability of it. And in my opinion it might be semi stable but is not a viable option even to be released to the public as it stands. Yes send it to Dell, HP, and others to test but for christ sakes not the general populace who sadly will pull their hair out and have to rebuild and possibly loose necessary data. Sorry for the rant but it just irks me with MS being so blatant that it's a stable release. Bah I say. Anyway I'm back to Windows 7 and back to Rift. take care and have fun.

Wolf

I do understand where you're coming from, however, an unfinished product will still remain an unfinished product, the release in question is only to allow people to test out the operating system and allow them to get a better idea of how it will work when it in fact is finished.
    Myself, I think I will be upgrading to Windows 8 solely because I enjoyed the consumer preview, but I couldn't stick with it because it froze with certain programs (such as hwmonitor) and it didn't run Rift for instance.

However, there is ample warning about loss of files when upgrading, or if you want to revert your operating system etc.
    If you did not read the warnings, then it isn't anyone's fault but your own; they are quite clear and easily seen.
    Desktop: Intel Core i7 2600k @4.8ghz | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 590 | 8GB Kingston DDR3 1333mhz | ASUS P8Z68-gen3 Deluxe s-1155 | 3x WD Caviar 500gb's RAID-0
    Gear: Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME, Microsoft SideWinder X4, Steelseries Sensei and Razer Goliathus CONTROL with ASUS VE278Q 27" LED Monitor x2

Quote Originally Posted by Gallente View Post
    WHY In a god's name would you release a beta to the public in the first place if you are not touting it as "STABLE".
    I'd ask Trion the same thing.... /stares at Rift Mobile App that crashes on every lootable use since 3/1

General of Telara

I was under the impression that the early releases at this stage of the process were more akin to alphas than betas. The RTC releases are the ones that are more or less betas, no? At least by modern standards that seem to dictate that a beta must be at least 90% complete with no majorly disruptive issues of critical aspects.

Soulwalker

I have been running windows 8 Consumer for 3 weeks now without any probs. Not even 1 crash. and the game runs smoothly. Its pretty sweet TBH

+ Reply to Thread