+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please Advise on Upgrade for Better Quality/Performance

Telaran

Default Please Advise on Upgrade for Better Quality/Performance

I've been out of the gaming scene for a while and my PC is probably badly out of date. I'm currently running Rift on whatever settings it defaulted me to, and the game isnt looking so hot. Everyone keeps saying how amazing this games graphics are and I'd like to be able to get some better quality out of my system.

What upgrades to my PC would give me the best bang for the buck? Probably a new graphics card? What are the best cards currently in the price/performance sweet spot? I'm not looking to spend a lot of money, maybe 100-150 USD max for a card. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

How high should I be able to run the game right now? Here are my specs:

I'm running AMD Athalon 64 x2 dual core 6000+ 3.0 ghz with 3 gb ram, Vista home premium, and Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Rokkual; 02-17-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Rift Chaser

How much do you want to spend ?

I had an AMD 6400+ and was able to run it well on medium settings. I upgraded and can now run on max settings but it cost me alot of money. Sad part is RIFT is not that great at optimizing GPU's.
    Last edited by Kanel32; 02-17-2012 at 09:41 PM.

Whatever video card you decide to get, please please please get more RAM. 3gigs with vista is crippling your gameplay. Is your vista a 32 or 64 bit? 32bit would maxyour RAM at 4gigs, which is barely able to run vista and a game. If at all possible, go to a 64bit system, and 8 gigs RAM to maximise that aspect.

Telaran

Thanks for the replies, its 32 bit. I'm not trying to spend much so maybe another stick of ram and a video card would help me out. Four gigs max ram for Vista? Thats just crazy, I didnt know that.

Another gig of ram and a new card will take me to what, medium settings?
    Last edited by Rokkual; 02-17-2012 at 10:23 PM.

If you can, I'd switch to an Nvidia 460GTX with a gig of memory on the card. Hits right in your sweet spot. If you're looking at upgrading, be sure to consider that multiple cores aren't helpful in game play so you can get some really cheap 2core processors and do just as well as any of the quad\six cores.

Example
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...651&CatId=3669
    Last edited by CericX; 02-17-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CericX View Post
    If you can, I'd switch to an Nvidia 460GTX with a gig of memory on the card. Hits right in your sweet spot. If you're looking at upgrading, be sure to consider that multiple cores aren't helpful in game play so you can get some really cheap 2core processors and do just as well as any of the quad\six cores.

Example
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...651&CatId=3669
    5min edit. You CAN run High\Ultra on that card and 2-3 gigs of memory...but get the extra memory too as you'll still get lag in heavy populated areas.

Telaran

Thanks, Clericx, exactly what I was looking for! Think I can get high settings with this card even with my processor?

+ Reply to Thread