+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Rift using all cores in a quad core processor. How?

  1. #1
    Ascendant Am0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Rift using all cores in a quad core processor. How?

    Just that
    Using a quad core AMD phenom II, 3.2 ghz

    How can I make it use all cores instead of just one?
    "You lost me at Balance"

  2. #2
    RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    It already sort of does. However!

    There is a main thread, and you will (on most systems) get better performance if that thread doesn't jump around. It really can't be running on two cores at once. It can hop from one to another really often, but there really is a single thread of execution. The other threads should be running on other cores, but the fact is, the main thread is the hard one.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  3. #3
    Ascendant Am0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Ah, I could have swore I saw a thread on how to optimize performance. It sucks to record at sometimes 19 fps when I know my system should be running it at 30 all the time.
    "You lost me at Balance"

  4. #4
    RIFT Community Ambassador
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Am0n View Post
    Ah, I could have swore I saw a thread on how to optimize performance. It sucks to record at sometimes 19 fps when I know my system should be running it at 30 all the time.
    pretty much what was already said, RIFT does utilize multiple cores. the main thread will be the heaviest load and be on one core. this is the thread most ppl will identify with as being the game process and not being spread over their other cores. however, there are other threads that are split off to other cores such as audio. they usually take up a very small amount of the usage on a core.

    personally my rift game is set to run the main thread on the last core. i did this because the last core on mine goes relatively unused.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

  5. #5
    Ascendant Am0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLucidity View Post
    pretty much what was already said, RIFT does utilize multiple cores. the main thread will be the heaviest load and be on one core. this is the thread most ppl will identify with as being the game process and not being spread over their other cores. however, there are other threads that are split off to other cores such as audio. they usually take up a very small amount of the usage on a core.

    personally my rift game is set to run the main thread on the last core. i did this because the last core on mine goes relatively unused.
    How would I go about telling it what core to use? Also I have been looking for a Rift Profile for my Catalyst, I downloaded one, but no idea where to put it or how to use it.

    Idk I was a+ certified and ccna certified back in 2006 joined the military deployed a few times and pretty much all that knowledge minus a few basics is gone. I am slowly getting back into it now but very much a "noob" at the moment.
    "You lost me at Balance"

  6. #6
    Ascendant Pixel Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,231

    Default

    it does anyway, you can see if you look at the task managers performance with the view set to individual cores display.
    but anyway...

    fire up the client in window or tab out with it up
    task manager -> processes -> r/click rift exe -> set affinity -> tick all
    Last edited by Pixel Monkey; 12-04-2011 at 12:23 PM.
    who took my names!

  7. #7
    RIFT Community Ambassador
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Am0n View Post
    How would I go about telling it what core to use? Also I have been looking for a Rift Profile for my Catalyst, I downloaded one, but no idea where to put it or how to use it.

    Idk I was a+ certified and ccna certified back in 2006 joined the military deployed a few times and pretty much all that knowledge minus a few basics is gone. I am slowly getting back into it now but very much a "noob" at the moment.
    windows 7
    run %appdata%
    open RIFT folder
    open rift.cfg with notepad
    edit this:
    Code:
    [Client]
    MainThreadCPU = 8
    typically it will have a value of 3. you can put it on any core you want though or set it to 0 to tell it to use any core it wants.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

  8. #8
    Ascendant Am0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Monkey View Post
    it does anyway, you can see if you look at the task managers performance with the view set to individual cores display.
    but anyway...

    fire up the client in window or tab out with it up
    task manager -> processes -> r/click rift exe -> set affinity -> tick all
    K, also http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-settings.html

    Check that please lmao
    "You lost me at Balance"

  9. #9
    Ascendant Am0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLucidity View Post
    windows 7
    run %appdata%
    open RIFT folder
    open rift.cfg with notepad
    edit this:
    Code:
    [Client]
    MainThreadCPU = 8
    typically it will have a value of 3. you can put it on any core you want though or set it to 0 to tell it to use any core it wants.
    O ok thanks a ton. So just to be sure if its a quad core I should put it on 4?
    "You lost me at Balance"

  10. #10
    Ascendant Pixel Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Am0n View Post
    didnt say in ur op and didnt realize u need 2 threads for one topic

    all help withdrawn and replaced with 0care
    who took my names!

  11. #11
    RIFT Community Ambassador
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Am0n View Post
    O ok thanks a ton. So just to be sure if its a quad core I should put it on 4?
    yes if your PC shows 4 cores that would be correct. make sure to check your task manager to see how many are there.

    like for my i7.. it is a quad core but shows 8 individual cores.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

  12. #12
    Ascendant Am0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLucidity View Post
    yes if your PC shows 4 cores that would be correct. make sure to check your task manager to see how many are there.

    like for my i7.. it is a quad core but shows 8 individual cores.
    Ah ok. I will check it out when I get home. I really appreciate it.
    "You lost me at Balance"

  13. #13
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLucidity View Post
    yes if your PC shows 4 cores that would be correct. make sure to check your task manager to see how many are there.

    like for my i7.. it is a quad core but shows 8 individual cores.
    Isnt 3 the 4th core ? I always thought core numbering starts at #0.

  14. #14
    RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drums View Post
    Isnt 3 the 4th core ? I always thought core numbering starts at #0.
    It does for some things, but RIFT uses 0 to mean "any", and numbers the others starting at 1.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  15. #15
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLucidity View Post
    yes if your PC shows 4 cores that would be correct. make sure to check your task manager to see how many are there.

    like for my i7.. it is a quad core but shows 8 individual cores.
    The other 4 are Hyper Threading
    The Riftguard
    Deepwood :: TDQ 4/4 :: FT 2/4
    Morning Raiding Guild - Recruiting!

    Atrius: "Paragon seems solid. At Level 60 I came in at the top of IA damage."

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts