+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any1 else have computer crash after restoring rift from a prolonged minimized state?

Default Any1 else have computer crash after restoring rift from a prolonged minimized state?

So, I run a rather high end machine. I built it myself, running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. 1.5 TB HDD Western Digital Caviar Black. 16 GB DDR-1066 RAM. (My memory fails me on the specifics of my video cards, but they are nice cards and are linked with CrossfireX. I run an i5 Quad Core Processor. Yes, it's a bit much just for gaming on Rift, but I use it for editing High Definition video as well.

I never had a problem with Rift before, but lately I've tabbed out to do some research or toss together specs on a calculator, or watch a video or two, or browse forums; time consuming activities. About 20-30 minutes later I try and bring Rift back up. It makes sounds as if it is trying to catch up with EVERYTHING that happened while it was minimized. Freezes, closes to a point where it shows the Rift error processing pop up but still doesn't allow me to take any action, nor does the screen change from here. It then blue screens, and force restarts. I'm a bit of a techie so yes I know how horrible it is of me to have neglected to pause screen and record the exact error. It happened twice to me, both times the exact same symptoms and seemingly the exact same cause.

It appears to me that the game client quiet recording everything that goes on in the game while minimized and then tries to display it to me all simultaneously, causing a memory failure as indicated by the blue screen. I may have 16 GB DDR3, but no computer can handle that kind of load. I used to play WoW on far lesser computers and never experienced this kind of issue. Is there any way to stop Rift from trying to display everything I've missed? That seems like a vital flaw. Or perhaps if you know I've misidentified the culprit, you could explain what it is and what action I can take to correct it. I really don't want to force my computer into that situation again since it's obviously not good to force the computer into a hardware failure.

It might also be worth nothing that I never experience lag, even in graphic intensive invasions or raids or PvP. I also ran Recovery and it said everything was running perfectly.
    Last edited by Mortiferous; 11-20-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Rift Disciple

I have the same issue. Minimize to windows for an extended period of time and it crashes when I try to bring it back up. Just clicking on the taskbar at the bottom for rift, the game doesn't even open.

Ive had this issue for a few months now. Even after a fresh install of windows and the game.

I think you nailed it right on the head. It tries to load everything and it takes a dump.
    If you ain't Raidin, you ain't playin.

Sounds like an operating system issue instead of a game client issue. Anything going on graphically in a minimized application should be dumped by the operating system into the bit bucket (that means "discarded"). The exception is a request for user input, which should make the minimized application icon flash.

Try running the game in a normal Windows window. This is what I do and I don't get any crash, even though I might later go back to the game window to discover that I was logged out due to inactivity (I don't remember that causing my minimized game window icon to flash, though). If the problem goes away then there is likely some sort of operating system bug, not a game bug, that won't dump screen activity of a minimized full screen non-windowed application into the bit bucket. This doesn't mean, though, that the client could not detect having lost focus and itself dump further screen activity until again maximized, and thereby avoid the possible operating system bug. But that should not be necessary.
    Specter
    R87 Mage - Wolfsbane, Guardian

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by xjesusx View Post
    "Even after a fresh install of windows and the game."

Ummmm i think that covers your post
    If you ain't Raidin, you ain't playin.

Champion of Telara

Yup. Only with full screen tho.

Also, sound gets desync'd as well when I alt tab back. It catches up tho. It's easily noticable during warfronts. When you waiting for the match to start, tabbing out and back before it begins. I hear the 'start' sounds before the timer reaches zero.

+ Reply to Thread