+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TRION, are we ever going to see game engine optimization?

Default TRION, are we ever going to see game engine optimization?

^ Discuss

WTB formal response from the devs regarding this issue. It's the least you guys can do to explain the poor optimization and performance this game offers compared to other current/next generation titles.

PS

Do NOT turn this into a hardware e-peen flame war. It doesn't matter what specs you're running, performance should be better.

Sometimes it's good to be brutally honest. That said, I love Rift but performance is really awful compared to any other game. I really hope this can be improved over time. :c

You'd think having a high-end system would improve performance substantially, but no. There is an improvement but nothing dramatic.
    You'd also think setting graphics options to their minimums would improve performance. Again it does but not nearly enough to warrant the degradation in image quality.

:/
    Last edited by Gumdrop; 11-17-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Soulwalker

GameByro thats all that needs to be said bad engine poorly optimised for current CPU and GPU's
    go check game byro's history on games the engine has supported over the years and will never be fixed.

Morrowind, Oblivion , Fallout SOE Everquest 2 etc... would of been made under that engine
    now i remember trying to run morrowind on a very capable system back in the day maxing all settings to the fullest and still otained alot of fps loss to the point where it was unplayable if someone could run that game on everything maxed it was a complete miracle and thats not because i didnt have the fastest computer around it was the game engine,
    i bet today you could max those same settings on morrowind and still get some FPS loss because Game Byro is not CPU hungry nore GPU hungry it's just a poorly coded game engine it's simple as that

Just for a test i downloaded and installed everquest 2 a game that came out in 2004 and has been out for many years to have gone through patches game fixes etc..
    Im running
    AMD 955 4x
    8 gig of ram Gskill ripsaw
    Antec Gamer editon PSU

now not the best computer around but is more than capable to run this generations games in medium - high settings

First part of the game maxed all settings in starter area siginificant FPS loss unplayable to my standard
    now this game is 7 years old my computer should not really break much of a sweat but gamebyro finds a way to cripple the performance

go check out a few more of gamebyro's supported titles and max those settings and see how your computer performs i have even delved into running " hospital tycoon " max settings once you start getting your hospital in full motion watch your performance decline.

My point is games that use the gamebyro engine will only get better when gamebyro's engine is coded a bit better and optimised to make the best of your system not through game patches by trion.

Pretty sure that FPS problems is a big turn off for a good number of possible players of Rift, just turning them off when they can otherwise get 40-80FPS on other games.

25-40 FPS on TOR (ahem..)

60 FPS in WoW

25-30 FPS in DC Universe Online

etc

... 18-25 FPS in Rift, at best. (well technically 30 FPS max when in a good area and with no combat or anything happening)

Quote Originally Posted by Gumdrop View Post
    Sometimes it's good to be brutally honest.:/
    Only if you're using Nvidia. Or running a 5GHz Sandy Bridge.

Soulwalker

I have this issue. I have a laptop that I do 90% of my gaming on that I can't even do a 5 man in because of FPS lag. But I could do 10 mans without much problem on WoW.
    Also with the settings all the way down it looks A LOT worse than wow. Which is a major negative.

Well, that being said; I've been meaning to upgrade from my Q6600 to an i5-2500k. Will I see *any* performance increase in doing so? I'm mostly doing this because I have some spare cash and a few games are coming out that I'd like to have a better system for.

I'm currently running a Q6600 @ 3.2ghz w/ a GTX 560 that's OC'd to 950/1900.

On a side note, during the TOR beta weekend, I was pushing 80-90 FPS in lesser areas and about 50 in populated areas on my GTX 260; I can only imagine how much better it'll be with my 560. Granted the graphics are nowhere near Rift quality, but 25 fps in Meridian, really?
    Last edited by theignition34; 11-19-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theignition34 View Post
    Well, that being said; I've been meaning to upgrade from my Q6600 to an i5-2500k. Will I see *any* performance increase in doing so? I'm mostly doing this because I have some spare cash and a few games are coming out that I'd like to have a better system for.

I'm currently running a Q6600 @ 3.2ghz w/ a GTX 560 that's OC'd to 950/1900.

On a side note, during the TOR beta weekend, I was pushing 80-90 FPS in lesser areas and about 50 in populated areas on my GTX 260; I can only imagine how much better it'll be with my 560. Granted the graphics are nowhere near Rift quality, but 25 fps in Meridian, really?
    Upgrading your CPU will yield far greater performance in Rift than upgrading your video card. Rift crunches a lot more math than it draws polygons.

+ Reply to Thread