+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Game Performance

Shadowlander

Default Game Performance

Hi all,

I like new isle and i like new invasions .. BUT
    It's almost unplayable for lots of players becuase of lags and low FPS.
    I have usually 5 FPS on ULTRA ( 5 FPS on low, funny i know ), so something is wrong with the game. Lots of players were complaining about this game performance.

I haven't played 1.3 1.4 versions, but i remember version 1.2 which was pretty fast. What's wrong ?

Hi

Bye

Shadowlander

cool

.)

Quote Originally Posted by wh1sp3r View Post
    Hi all,

I like new isle and i like new invasions .. BUT
    It's almost unplayable for lots of players becuase of lags and low FPS.
    I have usually 5 FPS on ULTRA ( 5 FPS on low, funny i know ), so something is wrong with the game. Lots of players were complaining about this game performance.

I haven't played 1.3 1.4 versions, but i remember version 1.2 which was pretty fast. What's wrong ?

What's your GPU and CPU?

Consider Low gender mode and maybe lower resolution. Also playing in windowed ups FPS for some ppl
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestran View Post
    lol, you are the one I could see,
    ToTDQ:4/4 || FT: 4/4 || EE 5/5 || HM (3/4)

Shadowlander

my CPU is AMD 4x3.6Ghz and AMD 5870

I am playing all new games on ultra at 60 FPS (BF3 for example), that's why it's strange.
    Last edited by wh1sp3r; 11-17-2011 at 02:37 PM.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Celke View Post
    Consider Low gender mode

We like high gender though!

my CPU is AMD 4x3.6Ghz and AMD 5870

I am playing all new games on ultra at 60 FPS (BF3 for example), that's why it's strange.
    MMOs in general are very heavily slanted towards CPUs as the crippling factor in game performance. Furthermore Rift reacts poorly to CPUs in general. More to the point even Intel's new Hairy Clam i5s and i7s can have performance issues with Rift.

AMD users are worse off because even Phenom IIs, probably the best AMD cpu on the market for MMOs, aren't all that good. I've got a Phenom II x6 1090t that's been overclocked form the stock 3.2 GHz to about 3.75 GHz with most of it in the FSB and I'm lucky to get 30-35 FPS in super-crowded areas like Meridian on Ultra-level graphics. Not maximum, just Ultra. I can't help but believe Athlon II CPUs would be worse.

While you didn't specify what model of CPU you were using (i.e. Phenom II, Athlon II, Phenom, Athlon, etc.) when looking at the HD5870 I'm hoping you're using either a Phenom or a Phenom II. In the case of Phenoms there is software out there which may improve performance, but I don't remember what it was off the top of my head. There are older threads in this board that do mention it. In the case of Phenom IIs what you see is what you get short of overclocking your CPU, or more specifically raising your FSB clock to something in the 220-230 MHz range.

Beyond that your only options are to upgrade to an Intel CPU or petition Trion to enhance CPU resource management in the game client by doing things such as not expending CPU resources on graphics you can't see and unlocking CPU resource allocation for all systems. In the case of the latter I read posts from people claiming to see 70%+ CPU utilization by the client, but I almost never see it go over 30% and the average virtually never does so. Likewise it doesn't go under 30% either so no matter how much or little the client is doing my CPU runs 30% at all times. Compared to Crysis which varies from 27% to 32%, Metro 2033 which varies from 30% to 40%, and Rage which easily hits 60% 30% flat with no variance is rather pathetic, especially for a game that is CPU-heavy to begin with.

To touch back on the CPU upgrade if you're using a Phenom II the only real upgrade are the i5 2500k and i7 2600k as well as the non-k versions you can't (really) overclock. The Sandy Dale/Clam/Bridge/Whatever line that Intel released last year are bar none the best CPUs for gaming on the market. AMD's Bulldozer line of CPUs are failing in that front due to both Windows 7, the "best" Windows OS on the market, not being able to properly support/utilize them as well as AMD apparently following the same basic architecture principles that lead to the Phenom II being sub-standard for modern gaming despite being an otherwise decent chip. The tl;dr of that is that Bulldozers are currently equal to most Phenom II x6 CPUs for gaming performance, often cost as much or more, and occasionally even have worse gaming performance so don't think that Bulldozer/AM3+ CPUs are a potential upgrade.

If you're using an Athlon II CPU you could, if you wanted to go cheap, try upgrading to a Phenom II, but I don't see that it would give you enough of a performance boost to warrant the cost. If you're using a first generation Phenom, or a multi-core Athlon CPU you're pretty much in the same boat as Phenom II users as you'd have to get a new motherboard, and potentially new RAM, just to upgrade to a Phenom II so you might as well go whole hog and go i5-2500k.

Honestly it's a crap shoot these days. I started out with the same build in my sig - poor performance and slightly disgruntled feeling for the game. Then one day I got some free game time, so I reinstalled Rift and suddenly I'm able to play with outstanding performance. I fiddled around with the various settings, but it's mostly set to stock Ultra with AA disabled from the client, but enabled in CCC. I don't play any other games besides Rift, but I'm sure that I'd get a lot better performance in those overall.
    Ruranak - Cleric - Greybriar - Guardian :: Sacred Haven

ASrock p67 Extreme6 - i7-2600K @ 4.80Ghz O.C. - 8GB XMS3 - 2x HD6970 - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler
    Antec Lanboy Blue - 80GB SSD

Rift Chaser

Pretty sure this game was optimized for Nivida cards since its only my guildies who have Ati cards that were complaining on ember isle tonight

Shadowlander

i attached a system utilization, when i am at Sanctum.

Game Performance-riftspec.jpg

EDIT: ah, what a small image CPU 44% ( it's a sum of all cores ) and graphics card at 52% ... FPS 30
    Last edited by wh1sp3r; 11-18-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Shadowlander

Game Performance-riftspec2.jpgGame Performance-riftspec3.jpg

another images .. one with boss fighting, one without fighting just at outpost.

Previously I had no issues with Rift but following 1.6 the zone events are unplayable by the time we get to the end bosses, indeed even the mini-bosses are "painful" to try and participate in.

I'm generally sat at 70ms and 90fps but during these new events the fps can drop to 15 (ms stays the same) but it seems it's the server that cannot handle the load as abilities are taking 3-4 seconds each before they respond.

Now, before anyone starts piping up its probably my system, I'm running at 1920x1200 on:

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit
    Intel 2600K
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia 580GTX

One would hope it can cope with the game!
    I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Shadowlander

how Marikhen said. It's about CPU utilization.
    It's strange, all other games are just working fine, but only rift is slow.
    Let's say, GTA4 was pretty CPU intensive and it just worked fast too.

Perhaps, i can try to set priority for RIFT's process to see, if utilization will be better becuase it looks like, Trion writes pauses to their code

General of Telara

Perhaps, i can try to set priority for RIFT's process to see, if utilization will be better becuase it looks like, Trion writes pauses to their code
    Changing CPU priority won't do a thing for the game unless you're running on an already over-loaded CPU. By that I mean that unless there's actually stuff running in the background (YouTube off hardware video, media player, anti-viral scan, file compression, video conversion, some other game, whatever) Rift should be the only thing taking up any significant amount of cycles and subsequently shouldn't need to run at a higher priority.

If, however, you're a rampant multi-tasker it might help, especially if your CPU is borderline "enough" or only a bit better than that. Anything weaker than a Phenom II x3 or pretty much any dual-core Intel CPU for example.

Shadowlander

yeah. so, i tested priorities and instead of 5 FPS i got 8 FPS when boss fight nice.

but still i don't understand, why game runs at same speed when low or ultra graphics it must be something in the engine, some "dirty" algorithm.

+ Reply to Thread