Closed Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By GoldenTiger

Thread: Running rift with "-dx9" paramater

Default Running rift with "-dx9" paramater

Ohoi, ya landlubbers!

I've been trying to squize out as much fps as I can out of my 4-5 year old laptop (stationary comp died earlier..) and i've been resarching how to get as low settings as possible ..

Some random bloke said that I should add the pretex -dx9 to my shortcut target of rift.

Like this:
    "C:\Users\steffen\Desktop\RIFT Game\riftpatchlive.exe" -dx9

Tho - I dont really see any difference in FPS - even tho my ****ty radeon 4650 is a dx10 card.

Anyone know how to see what dx version the game is running, while its running ?

Hope that made sense =)

//KalQulate
    Everybody remember where we parked.
    -James Kirk, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, after landing the cloaked Klingon bird of prey in Golden Gate park

..and yes, I drive an electric car yo.

Plane Touched

Try ATI-Tray tools. I'm sure that does tell you but cant look ATM as i'm not at my PC. I know it does work for NV as well as AMD/ATI.

It also will show you GPU/CPU Temps, FPS, Mem Use, GfxMem and so on.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733

You also might want to try this. It worked for me. I'm one of the people suffering massive FPS loss since Hotfix 4. I know this is an old fix for the GameBryo Engine but Rift does work on the same engine

http://www.mmo-dominion.net/forums/v....php?t=6527035
    I also heard the flouride in the toothpaste is part of Stalin's mind control plot to turn mankind into a race of super robots to fight the Martian invaders.
    Originally Posted by Mr Spock
    (One of those rift players that reads the forums but never posts because I am too busy playing the game.)

Your bloke is insane. Rift is only coded for DX9. Adding a forced DX9 command will accomplish nothing. Tuning settings down/off is going to be your only way to improve performance. (Though if you are at 1 or 2 gig and can increase that you may get a touch better performance that way. Laptop ram can be horribly expensive though depending on the type and size.)
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

The -dx9 tag does nothing any more.

The single largest contributor to fps I have seen comes from the resolution you use. Dropping resolution by one level was enough to add multipass terrain, full screen effects, and maxed ground clutter onto my settings (which already include maxed view distances and texture quality, and middleish lighting/AA/Shaders/et al) with a net of no fps change.

Rifts shadows engine and my card don't get along, for some reason, sadly.
    "You're right. Technically he has the right to cry about it. And I have the right to mock him for crying about something stupid." ~Bridgeburner
    "Try to hate other people less, you might enjoy life more." ~Tenet

73 Likes , 1 Infraction, Liked 228 posts, and counting...

Msi afterburner, and rift is dx9 only at this time.
    Rig: 256gb SSD, i7 2600K quad-core (w/ HT, 4400mhz), GTX 670 Gigabyte OC WindForce @ 1354core/6510mem, 2560x1600 (Dell 3007wfp-hc S-IPS LCD monitor 30"), 16GB DDR3.
    Double the pixels of a 1920x1200 monitor = yummy graphics! I do love my eye candy...
    GSB, RoS conqueror, DH, GP cleared, 10/11 HK + P3 Akylios pre-nerf, Mage of Wolfsbane

Rift Chaser

Despite being a new game 2011, the technology is ooooooooooold, it runs dx9 standard, not dx10 or 11 sadly

Quote Originally Posted by dorfadin View Post
    Despite being a new game 2011, the technology is ooooooooooold, it runs dx9 standard, not dx10 or 11 sadly
    The technology is actually quite new; Rift utilizes deferred rendering techniques as well as shader-based edge-blurring antialiasing. Additionally, DX9 is still the bulk of what even a top-end DX11 engine can deliver; DX10 was a smaller feature release that never got used very much, while DX11 was mostly a speed-up of DX10 plus tesselation support (which has yet to be used in an impactful way in more than a couple of titles, and features of which are being used mainly for speed-up of rendering rather than visuals). Rift is actually pretty much cutting-edge in the MMORPG space on this front. It's a common misconception on gamers' parts though that a higher DX version (DX9 vs. DX11) magically makes things look better, though, so don't worry about it. The art assets and tech capabilities combined are what make a game look good.
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 09-24-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    Rig: 256gb SSD, i7 2600K quad-core (w/ HT, 4400mhz), GTX 670 Gigabyte OC WindForce @ 1354core/6510mem, 2560x1600 (Dell 3007wfp-hc S-IPS LCD monitor 30"), 16GB DDR3.
    Double the pixels of a 1920x1200 monitor = yummy graphics! I do love my eye candy...
    GSB, RoS conqueror, DH, GP cleared, 10/11 HK + P3 Akylios pre-nerf, Mage of Wolfsbane

Champion

Besides improved graphical fidelity however, Rift could really benefit from the speed-up DX11 brings compared to DX9 (provided the Gamebryo engine and the devs can make use of it as much).

Afair some benchmarks showed a 30-45% increase in average fps (along with better min fps) when switching from WoW's DX9Q- to DX11HQ-mode.

Closed Thread