+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Game suddenly crashing computer

Rift Chaser

Default Game suddenly crashing computer

Hey all, started experiencing a tech difficulty yesterday. Thought I'd post to see if anyone knows what it might be as I think it is a computer issue and not the game itself.

The game has played fine on highest render for a couple of months.

Yesterday after loading between 5-10mins in it glitches and the screen goes black. The only thing I can seem to do is a hard reboot.

My computer starts up fine.

The game starts up fine.

It's like it glitches and just shuts the monitor down.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Default Tech support

No matter how dark the night, morning always comes. And our journey begins anew...

Rift Disciple

Last night I tried to export my ui from another toon on another shard using the /exportui -filename- command, and it worked fine.

However, everytime I tried the /importui -filename- it crashed the client. I even tried exporting it again with a different file name. But alas, it's broken.

Now I also used to have a problem with my graphics tossing an error. I found a fix on google using these search words.

opengl error rift windows vista

And found a registry value that needed changed. Since then, I've had no graphics issues.

GL!
    When people say you suck. Just remember, they just have a better macro than you do, NOT that they play better. Ask them to share.

Soulwalker

Jalliah: I had the very same problem couple of days ago: the game would run fine for a certain time, then the screen would go black (in sleep mode) and only a hard reboot could help.

In the end, it turned out that I seem to have neglected the insides of my computer for too long: once I opened the case, it was dusty apocalypse in there, especially the video card's fan was all but clotted with dust. Once I cleaned it all out carefully, Rift was running just fine again.

Hope that could help!

Champion

Make sure to check all your fans/cooling system. Sometimes, overheating causes the type of problems you're discussing.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalliah View Post
    Hey all, started experiencing a tech difficulty yesterday. Thought I'd post to see if anyone knows what it might be as I think it is a computer issue and not the game itself.

The game has played fine on highest render for a couple of months.

Yesterday after loading between 5-10mins in it glitches and the screen goes black. The only thing I can seem to do is a hard reboot.

My computer starts up fine.

The game starts up fine.

It's like it glitches and just shuts the monitor down.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    There is a very large thread in tech forums regarding this issue and it can be different for many people. I personally had this issue around 1.2 and it was every 5-10 minutes. I had an overclock and since flashing my BIOS its happened 0 times. I would suggest reading through that post in case you have similar specs/issues as others and see if you can find a fix in there that helped them.

Good luck.
    I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
    R50 Azama - Mage L60 R 13 Optional - Rogue L60 Sardonic - Cleric L50 Snugglepants - Warrior L50 @ Zaviel

Ascendant

Thank you for pointing him to our thread over there. Was just about to do that...

OP, you are having the same problem MANY of us are. Please visit the thread Pricia linked, give a brief description, and attach your DxDiag directly to your post there.

And, welcome to the club.

+ Reply to Thread