+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
Like Tree1Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Since 1.4 - Cycling red->yellow->green latency

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Relicq View Post
    it didn't change anything for me while deactivating the firewall.
    Yeah, I'm back to the usual crap - pay $15 a month to watch other people play RIFT (when I'm not getting disconnected). Awesome.

Soulwalker

Still happening. Wiped a group cuz I, as the healer, got to stand there and watch everyone get taken down while the game had its thumb up its butt. Have the pinheads at Trion even acknowledged that this is an issue for some people?

Telaran

It happened to me again last night in raid, only for few seconds.
    I was on TS that time and I could still clearly hear the others raiders, so definitively not my internet connection.

A feedback from TRION would be nice about that, we are not the only ones.

Soulwalker

After reading this thread -

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ml#post1444198

I blocked the outgoing ports as per instructions. _Appears_ to have made a major difference for the better. If things change I'll post. At any rate, the instructions call for blocking the ports RIFT uses, thus forcing it to use port 80.

I didn't have extraordinary lag all day. I had a few bits here and there but I'll just chalk that up to typical hamster servers. There were a few times where the game seemed like it _really wanted_ to bury my keypresses so the party would wipe but instead of being ignored they were only delayed by a second or so and that was tolerable. In short made the game playable again.

Sad that a fix didn't come from official tech support but did anyone really expect one would?

In the thread I posted (as I recall) an official source (forget the name) states that this is a known issue and that fixing it is their top priority. Course that was posted months ago so clearly their definition of "top" varies from mine.

5.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #125

We dug into this a bunch and there are more changes that went live in 1.6 to reduce bandwidth usage.

However, if you're being traffic shaped, throtted or have some other ISP specific problem the bandwidth changes may not fix things for you.

Soulwalker

So here we go again with its the ISP unless 100s of ISP round the world all started to throttle rift same time and same date as the 1.2 patch then i fail to see where our isp comes into it we can all play any game watch any video bar rift, and it happens to more ppl with each update/fix.

Telaran

Well, the patch they put in to fix this DID fix it.

Now with the release of 6.2 (the holiday thing) it's back.

Address this please.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMorin View Post
    We dug into this a bunch and there are more changes that went live in 1.6 to reduce bandwidth usage.

However, if you're being traffic shaped, throtted or have some other ISP specific problem the bandwidth changes may not fix things for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by omnico View Post
    So here we go again with its the ISP unless 100s of ISP round the world all started to throttle rift same time and same date as the 1.2 patch then i fail to see where our isp comes into it we can all play any game watch any video bar rift, and it happens to more ppl with each update/fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrath View Post
    Well, the patch they put in to fix this DID fix it.

Now with the release of 6.2 (the holiday thing) it's back.

Address this please.
    Individual nodes on the internet "backbone" can and do ninja throttle port traffic. There has been a lot of heated legal debate, even in the USA Congress, regarding this and Comcast recently got into trouble for throttling bittorrent streams. When nodes throttle, they don't advertise they are doing so because it invites public outrage. All Trion can do is investigate and ask the responsible owners of the throttling nodes to stop it. Well, the game client could "switch" temporarily and during detected throttling to using Port 80 (same one your web browser uses, and it is a busy port used by many applications) but that's not optimal and the spikes seen might be the game client trying to use the more optimal ports only to discover that it still needs to temporarily use the normally less optimal and over used port 80.

While your own ISP can be convinced to "route" your traffic to the game servers you use via nodes that aren't throttling, it's more complicated for Trion to ask the same of the thousands upon thousands of ISP node owners that their customers all over the world use. This is why you need to complain to your government officials if you are paying your ISP (Trion is not to blame!) for something but not getting it, i.e. bandwidth. You should get what you are paying for and if you are being ripped off then that is illegal but if in your government jurisdiction area (Canada, anyone?) it is legal to throttle then push for law changes. The ISP's want as much money as they can get for the least amount of service they can provide, it's a constant battle and you have to be proactive for your own sake.

I feel for some of you. I'm lucky, I use Time Warner / RoadRunner cable and they are an investor in this game; they have a vested interest in me both using their ISP service AND in me keeping a sub with the game (although they sometimes need to be reminded of that, left hand not knowing what the right hand is up to until the bad hand gets slapped by the other one). I don't usually get lag, and when they do I keep making them change my modem and cable until they make it go away (this works better than you might think!) But for others, yes, only your governments can stop the greed and abuse of ISP's.
    Specter
    R87 Mage - Wolfsbane, Guardian

Same problem here, I usually get around 187ms, but now I get around 400ms.

Ascendant

I am so tired of playing just fine at 60 ms ping only to get a 1k spike while tanking during raiding. Just look at this fricking trace:
    Code:
    Tracing route to 76.27.94.208.dal.triongames.com [208.94.27.76]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1   193 ms   636 ms   547 ms  96.147.124.1
      2   200 ms     *      802 ms  ge-3-7-ur02.scotts.ca.sfba.comcast.net [68.87.198.197]
      3   168 ms    48 ms   147 ms  te-1-5-0-7-ar01.oakland.ca.sfba.comcast.net [68.87.226.18]
      4    54 ms   149 ms   113 ms  pos-2-0-0-0-cr01.sacramento.ca.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.90.129]
      5   448 ms   120 ms   278 ms  pos-0-9-0-0-cr01.sanjose.ca.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.85.181]
      6  1931 ms   123 ms    80 ms  pos-0-5-0-0-pe01.529bryant.ca.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.88.2]
      7   255 ms   289 ms   642 ms  te4-7.mpd01.sjc04.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.11.185]
      8   164 ms    63 ms   671 ms  te0-1-0-7.mpd22.sfo01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.5.57]
      9    64 ms    63 ms    69 ms  te0-4-0-6.mpd22.mci01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.45.89]
     10   103 ms   128 ms   130 ms  te0-4-0-5.ccr22.dfw01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.46.214]
     11    67 ms    77 ms    65 ms  te2-7.ccr01.dfw07.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.1.154]
     12   175 ms   172 ms   309 ms  ebl-global-networks.demarc.cogentco.com [38.104.34.66]
     13   414 ms    73 ms   181 ms  76.27.94.208.dal.triongames.com [208.94.27.76]

Trace complete.

Soulwalker

Im in the same boat as most of you. I spend most of my time pvping and in warfronts, and every time I even get close to a player of the opposite faction, I get 1400+ms, which gives me a 4-5 second gap between attacks, and for a pvper, that means Im already dead. Ive tried the fix mentioned above and it did nothing for me, so any other solutions would be unbelievably appreciated

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9