+ Reply to Thread

Thread: nvidia video card overheating

Soulwalker

Default nvidia video card overheating

I current have a pretty bad setup but am playing Rift anyway until I get a new computer. I play on 1920 by 1080 on mostly low settings. My specs are: E5200 Dual Core at 2.8Ghz 4gb ram and a Galaxy nvidia geforce gts 250 1gb. My concern is that for whatever reason my video card keeps spiking up to 105 celcius. However nvidias website does say that this card can handle 105. The temperature then does go gradually down to about 95 or 85 so I really dont know exactly how long it is at 105. I already cleaned the case out of dust and it only helped a little. Is this card ok or should i replace it because its going to fry eventually? I was overclocking it before but its currently at stock speeds. Thanks. I figured it would be about $100 for a card that was new and about the same speed.

Soulwalker

I now put the fan on 100% at all times and lowered alot of the settings within the game so the gpu is not constantly at full load. I also reduced the number of particles by a huge amount because it was mentioned that 7500 was a fps fix. It now appears to be only be getting up to about 90 celcius even after overclocking. Im going to continue to monitor it.

Rift Disciple

If you are not using windows xp, then make sure hyperthreading is disabled in the bios setup (under cpu configuration).
    Disabling hyperthreading will have a big impact on videocard heat and no impact on performance, actually most games will run faster with hyperthreading off, on most OS.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboro View Post
    If you are not using windows xp, then make sure hyperthreading is disabled in the bios setup (under cpu configuration).
    Disabling hyperthreading will have a big impact on videocard heat and no impact on performance, actually most games will run faster with hyperthreading off, on most OS.
    That is a totally false statement.
    System:
    Win7 64bit - I7 930 3.38GHz Liquid Cooled - 6 GB DDR3 - Ati 5970 Driver 11.8 CCC 2 - HDD Raid 0 1 TB -2nd HDD 1TB SATA - Blu-Ray - Display 32" Samsung HDTV 1920x1080

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Romiz View Post
    That is a totally false statement.
    Really? Check this link http://www.behardware.com/articles/7...-in-games.html in some games there is a performance drop of 25% with HT activated.
    Since yesterday i have been playing with the Hyperthreading option in Bios quite a bit and tested it on different games, there is no noticeable difference in fps with it on or off, but it has a noticeable impact on videocard temperatures (at least on my system).
    Card fans run smoother(less rpm variation) and quieter (lower rpm) with HT off. I have no idea why this happens since HT only affects the cpu not the card, but it does happen.
    Even in the Bios description of the HT option, it says: "enable for xp and linux, disable for other os"
    Last edited by kaboro; 09-07-2011 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboro View Post
    Really? Check this link http://www.behardware.com/articles/7...-in-games.html in some games there is a performance drop of 25% with HT activated.
    Since yesterday i have been playing with the Hyperthreading option in Bios quite a bit and tested it on different games, there is no noticeable difference in fps with it on or off, but it has a noticeable impact on videocard temperatures (at least on my system).
    Card fans run smoother(less rpm variation) and quieter (lower rpm) with HT off. I have no idea why this happens since HT only affects the cpu not the card, but it does happen.
    Even in the Bios description of the HT option, it says: "enable for xp and linux, disable for other os"
    It all depends if the applications you use are multi-threaded or not. If they are, then turning HT on will increase your temps, but also increase your performance. If your game doesn't take advantage to multi-threads, then same the overhead and heat and turn it off.

Considering that Rift is a multi-threaded game and I run multiple apps when I play, I keep it on. Temps isn't an issue for me ... I have a custom built water cooling system.

http://i.imgur.com/ulD3P.jpg
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

+ Reply to Thread