Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CPU Bottleneck With An i7 @ 4.2GHz?

Shadowlander

Question CPU Bottleneck With An i7 @ 4.2GHz?

So I seem to be having a CPU bottleneck with my current PC but I'm slightly shocked that the CPU is the bottleneck. I'm runnin an i7 930 @ 4.2 GHz and a GTX 480 that is overclocked as well. I can bounce the GPU from 600mHz to 900mHz and I'm not gaining any perfomance out of the overclock so that tells me the CPU is holding it back. My display is a 1920X1080 so it should be big enough to allow the 480 to stretch it's legs. Any thoughts on this?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostTactful View Post
    So I seem to be having a CPU bottleneck with my current PC but I'm slightly shocked that the CPU is the bottleneck. I'm runnin an i7 930 @ 4.2 GHz and a GTX 480 that is overclocked as well. I can bounce the GPU from 600mHz to 900mHz and I'm not gaining any perfomance out of the overclock so that tells me the CPU is holding it back. My display is a 1920X1080 so it should be big enough to allow the 480 to stretch it's legs. Any thoughts on this?
    It's the engine. They're using a rather poor engine, Gamebryo, that isn't well maintained nor optimized. A lot more work than is necessary is done on the CPU and even then, at 50% CPU it's not actually maxing its bottleneck, which indicates immediately that there are incredible performance issues at hand.

A massive upgrade in video processing power has nearly ZERO impact on the framerate in this game, esp. in raiding environments or busy areas. Chock it up to a poorly designed engine and that Trion is too cheap to license a high quality one.

For instance, I can run Crysis Warhead on my new 580 GTX XE with 70+ FPS in most places (with settings maxed @ 1920x1080), but in Meridian on 'high' with nobody around staring at a wall, I have 40 in Rift.

And on my old 4890 I get... yep.. you guessed it.. 40.

Something is totally broken. Totally.
    Last edited by jMerliN; 08-31-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by jMerliN View Post
    It's the engine. They're using a rather poor engine, Gamebryo, that isn't well maintained nor optimized. A lot more work than is necessary is done on the CPU and even then, at 50% CPU it's not actually maxing its bottleneck, which indicates immediately that there are incredible performance issues at hand.

A massive upgrade in video processing power has nearly ZERO impact on the framerate in this game, esp. in raiding environments or busy areas. Chock it up to a poorly designed engine and that Trion is too cheap to license a high quality one.

For instance, I can run Crysis Warhead on my new 580 GTX XE with 70+ FPS in most places (with settings maxed @ 1920x1080), but in Meridian on 'high' with nobody around staring at a wall, I have 40 in Rift.

And on my old 4890 I get... yep.. you guessed it.. 40.

Something is totally broken. Totally.
    My laptop uses an HD 5790 or something like that. (5970 maybe?) anyway, I get about 40 fps most of the time.. anda little drop in merid. But with my desktop with the two gtx 570 SLI, I get about 120 fps maxed out with just edge smoothing AA and full shadows, but in town I get much less.. around 60. Yes, there is something goin on here.
    Intel i7-2600k | CoolIT Vantage A.L.C. | ASUS Sabertooth P67 | 2 ASUS Geforce GTX 570 (fermi) in SLI | 4x4Gb Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600MHz | 2 Corsair Force Series GT 120 Gb Sata III SSD in Raid 0 | WD 1TB 7200rpm Sata III Black HDD | Corsair AX850

Telaran

It is a game engine problem...
    However try the 270.90 tesla drivers they are the best so far for rift.

and btw there is no bottle neck with ur cpu clocking that high.
    Last edited by TheDoos; 08-31-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Soulwalker

I run on an i7 2600k, which is a newer generation of the i7, but it certainly isn't too far off. I have a CPU and GPU monitor running on my second monitor. Rift, even on max settings, hardly scratches the surface of this processor. Even if the bottleneck is the processor, I'd suggest it's because of something else running and chewing up the CPU.

Soulwalker

I have 2x6850 in xfire and 955 amd black edition, if i run everything on the max setting, or switch to high/ultra I keep sticking to 30ish fps, and the weird thing is, neither the cpu or the gpu's are drawing 100%. Why wont my fps go up? =/

Telaran

As I have already posted many times before, the bottleneck is not occurring on the CPU but on the network interface. You'll notice your GPU utilization DROP when you are in town, accounting for the lower FPS. This is because of all the character data being transfered from the server, the CPU has to wait for this data (I think) in order to request the GPU to render a new frame. This situation will always happen when you encounter other players in the game (either a subtle drop in utilization for a small number of players or a large one if there are many players) and cannot really be fixed unless Trion throttles the network traffic or something like that (which would result in "choppy" player movement since hte updates would come less frequently). Any time you see your GPU utilization drop without a significant increase in the CPU utilization, the bottleneck MUST be somewhere else. This game doesn't come close to fully utilizing a 3.5 GHz Core i7.
    Last edited by kschoe2; 09-01-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kschoe2 View Post
    As I have already posted many times before, the bottleneck is not occurring on the CPU but on the network interface. You'll notice your GPU utilization DROP when you are in town, accounting for the lower FPS. This is because of all the character data being transfered from the server, the CPU has to wait for this data (I think) in order to request the GPU to render a new frame. This situation will always happen when you encounter other players in the game (either a subtle drop in utilization for a small number of players or a large one if there are many players) and cannot really be fixed unless Trion throttles the network traffic or something like that (which would result in "choppy" player movement since hte updates would come less frequently). Any time you see your GPU utilization drop without a significant increase in the CPU utilization, the bottleneck MUST be somewhere else. This game doesn't come close to fully utilizing a 3.5 GHz Core i7.
    It's certainly not implemented like this.

What's most likely happening is that there has been almost no optimization in the game engine. If a game is sitting below vsync (or anywhere below 200+ fps) on modern high-end hardware and it isn't utilizing more than 25% of the available power, there's a bottleneck somewhere in the software with some very poor code preventing frames from rendering more quickly. It can be profiled out but you'd almost need the source of the game or at least debugging info to get useful information about where in the engine the bottleneck is. It's definitely not anywhere in the hardware.

A game with graphics this dated (still running on DX9 when the engine supports DX10/11) should be running at 200+ fps on modern hardware. I can easily run games on much more powerful engines at those framerates.
    Last edited by jMerliN; 09-01-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Soulwalker

Default its ur pc

i run 4.1k 4 gssss of memory and was running 2 gsss last week

E8600 overclocked

my video card is way out dated because i need to reflash my good one

and Rift only uses

12%

So u need to clean up ur pc...speed doesnt mean **** if u have unnecessary services running and so many other things..too long to type

OC Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950
    SLI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
    DDR3 Memory: 6144MB RAM

20-25 FPS

DxDiag.txt
    Last edited by CoreSyntax; 09-01-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by CoreSyntax View Post

20-25 FPS

Attachment 6134

could be anything - corrupted driver

literally anything

and just because it doesnt do it in one game doesn't mean it wont reveal itself in another..so the problem could of been there way before u noticed it with rift

Quote Originally Posted by CoreSyntax View Post

20-25 FPS

Attachment 6134
    Did you build this yourself?

Have you updated your drivers? I don't mean specifically video, I'm referring more to the motherboard drivers, since I see your sound driver is provided by Microsoft. Yes, it's important, and it DOES impact frame rates if those drivers are just generic ones. Onboard sound uses your CPU to process the sound, and if the driver isn't up to date, it can cause performance problems in high-CPU use games at times.

Also, to those irritated that Rift isn't using 100% of your processor: it won't. Yes, it's multithreaded; but each thread has a specific set of duties, and the 'main' thread of Rift takes the most power. Thus, you should see one of your cores at or near max (where the main thread resides - core 3 by default, I believe, until you change MainThreadCPU to 0 in Rift.cfg) and the rest will vary depending on the things going on around you. Splitting the main thread is inefficient and will cause problems.

[Edit:]CoreSyntax, I hope you're also using a driver removal tool when you install new drivers. Having bits of the old ones still around when the new one installs will cause all sorts of issues.
    Last edited by Sezyrrith; 09-01-2011 at 07:39 PM.
    Craig: [incredulous] Is that a reference from the Archbishop of Canterbury?!
    The Doctor
    : I'm his special favourite. Shhh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mridc View Post
    Rouges are overpowdered.

Quote Originally Posted by Sezyrrith View Post
    Did you build this yourself?
    Yes.

I hope you're also using a driver removal tool when you install new drivers.
    Yes

Have you updated your drivers?
    Just updated the sound drivers, everything else is updated.

Code:
                Description: Speakers (VIA High Definition Audio)
     Default Sound Playback: Yes
     Default Voice Playback: Yes
                Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0441&SUBSYS_1043846A&REV_1001
            Manufacturer ID: 1
                 Product ID: 100
                       Type: WDM
                Driver Name: viahduaa.sys
             Driver Version: 6.00.0001.8500 (English)
          Driver Attributes: Final Retail
                WHQL Logo'd: Yes
              Date and Size: 9/2/2011 05:34:17, 1335408 bytes
                Other Files: 
            Driver Provider: VIA Technologies, Inc.
    This is my MB.
    Asus Rampage III Gene Intel X58

25-30 FPS
    Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread, wanted to provide a comparison for the OP, but I do appreciate the help.

Soulwalker

CoreSyntax is right

This aint a driver issue, this aint a hardware issue.

I bet his case is like mine, both GPU and CPU aint anywhere near 100% (not even one core), I use crossfire even, and it makes no difference. In crowded places the FPS goes down to 10-20 without pulling any more power off the CPU and GPU, in other places it just sticks to 30-40 ish, turning off AA or anything makes no difference, this is 100% a game engine issue. Something somewhere is preventing the game from rendering quicker.

Soulwalker

im running a i7 980x, SLI gtx 480m, 24 gb of ram and im only getting about 50 fps in meridian so like everyone else has said its most def a engine issue

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast