+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rift and SLI blackscreen freeze

Soulwalker

Default Rift and SLI blackscreen freeze

My problem is when i run SLI and rift i get about a few minutes of playtime then i freeze and my video goes black and lose signal. When I disable SLI it works fine. Been working with Rift email tech support. so far the closest thing to a fix is a temporary one. I have to go into Rift game folder and delete the Rift.cfg file everytime i want to play Rift in SLI mode. This is my experience so far I hope i get an answer to my reply for a permanent fix. Just passing some info around.

by the way im running 2x gtx460, 12gig ram and i7 950 with Win7.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Kanak View Post
    My problem is when i run SLI and rift i get about a few minutes of playtime then i freeze and my video goes black and lose signal. When I disable SLI it works fine. Been working with Rift email tech support. so far the closest thing to a fix is a temporary one. I have to go into Rift game folder and delete the Rift.cfg file everytime i want to play Rift in SLI mode. This is my experience so far I hope i get an answer to my reply for a permanent fix. Just passing some info around.

I'm not sure what the full issue is, but if you want a more perm solution on that temp one that works for you, is to create a rift.bat file that does 2 things.
    1. Delete the Rift.cfg file, then pause waiting for you to press a key (giving the batch the second or two to delete the file before the next step)
    2. Launch the Riftpatcher
    --- RUN AS ADMIN, since it will launch the client and will need the same elevated rights.
    ==Example as below, Double-check your paths and validate them to be sure they are correct for your system.

Rift.bat
    Del "C:\Users\[USER ACCOUNT CURRENTLY LOGGED IN]\AppData\Roaming\RIFT\Rift.cfg" {Default for Rift.cfg}
    PAUSE
    "[Drive]:\{Install Path of game}\riftpatchlive.exe" [/dx9 {If you want to use Direct X 9, instead of Direct X 11}]
    EXIT
    1. Be sure paths to the files are correct for you system or batch file will FAIL
    2. Do NOT include the {Blah information about line} stuff, It is for your info and will FAIL the BATCH file.
    3. Replace [Data Type] with what it is for you.
    4. CMD.exe prompt will close when game is launched. The patcher closed and the batch file moved on to the next command, which is EXIT and closed cmd.exe for you.
    5. Be sure the spelling is CORRECT & EXACT for your paths/file names, else Batch file will not work.
    6. VERY IMPORTANT, USE NOTEPAD ONLY[Create/Modify bat file]. other txt editors add coding into the file, and cause cause troubles.

Example for my system in quotes below, To show you what It should look like. (though your paths will be different) and what I mean by those titles.

Rift.bat
    Del "C:\Users\Kerns\AppData\Roaming\RIFT\Rift.cfg"
    PAUSE
    "Z:\Rift Game\riftpatchlive.exe" /dx9
    EXIT
    This will delete the cfg for you and launch the game right after you press a button. Making it easy to use the work around you are using now. I hope you find a better solution to the SLI problem.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Kanak View Post

Heh, I run the same setup. 2x GTX460 (the Gigabyte 1GB version) 12GB RAM and the i7 950 on Win7x64 and I have no issues of this sort. Did you check if your gfx cards are OK? While the GTX460 in single mode runs at moderate temperatures (~60C) the sandwiched one in SLI config can go above the threshold of 105C if left without additional airflow. This might break the SLI when one card fails due to overheating.

Deleting the Rift.cfg resets your video settings to default. If you change them back in the game, this might push your cards over the edge!?
    Last edited by Macabri; 07-26-2011 at 04:47 AM.
    Bananari - LvL 5x Warrior
    Sobasaa - LvL 5x Cleric
    Macabri - LvL 5x Rogue
    Chlora - LvL 5x Mage

+ Reply to Thread