+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 7/12 Patch keeps asking to be updated

Default 7/12 Patch keeps asking to be updated

I have installed this patch from 7/12/11 3 times now. I click Update, let it do its thing, then log in to the game fine. Next time I go to launch the game, it asks me to update again.

It doesn't seem to be affecting my game or anything, and is just an inconvenience at this point, but I'm pretty sure that it shouldn't be doing that.

Soulwalker

Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsia View Post
    I have installed this patch from 7/12/11 3 times now. I click Update, let it do its thing, then log in to the game fine. Next time I go to launch the game, it asks me to update again.

It doesn't seem to be affecting my game or anything, and is just an inconvenience at this point, but I'm pretty sure that it shouldn't be doing that.

Same. Everyday I need to update the last update that I already did the day before.

Soulwalker

Clarification: it doesn't reinstall every time I play--it seems like just once per day.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Tulym View Post
    Clarification: it doesn't reinstall every time I play--it seems like just once per day.
    Them are just the patches. Been a patch everyday for last few days.
    System:
    Win7 64bit - I7 930 3.38GHz Liquid Cooled - 6 GB DDR3 - Ati 5970 Driver 11.8 CCC 2 - HDD Raid 0 1 TB -2nd HDD 1TB SATA - Blu-Ray - Display 32" Samsung HDTV 1920x1080

Shadowlander

Same here. It says hot fix #9 and is dated 7/12/11. I have downloaded it 3 times now as well.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Aurbin View Post
    Same here. It says hot fix #9 and is dated 7/12/11. I have downloaded it 3 times now as well.
    Check the patch sizes. They are different every day. These are new hotfixes, probably for background issues, so no new notes are needed.

Soulwalker

Guys, they are "hotpatches" to this main patch... Trion borked the patch... a significant number of players now enjoy an unstable game client. We are disconnected every few minutes, over and over again... Trion keeps adding new patches to fix it; but they're being tight-lipped about it, for whatever reason, so it appears as though you are downloading the patch over and over. Truth is, you are downloading repeated attempts to fix the main patch. You're not crazy. -And if you can play and not be disconnected, you're lucky! Woot!

jdc

What's being said here is correct -- literally Trion is pushing out updated versions of the patch without increasing the Hotfix version number. This is why you're seeing multiple updates to the same patch w/out any changes shown in the ChangeLog.

For what it's worth, I strongly disagree with this behaviour. Software authors should *always* be updating the version number in some way/shape/form, in addition to *always* updating the ChangeLog to reflect what the issue was. Customers/users need to be kept in the communication loop when it comes to updates. Otherwise threads like this will start up, with customers/users asking "wait, didn't I just update to this patch yesterday? WTF?" and start to think there's something wrong with the patcher or their Rift installation. Simply updating/changing hashes is not sufficient.
    Last edited by jdc; 07-15-2011 at 02:20 PM.

+ Reply to Thread