Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RIFT - ERROR Handler Problem.

Soulwalker

Default RIFT - ERROR Handler Problem.

Ok here is my problem.

Just yesterday, I wanted to reactivate my account and start playing RIFT. I downloaded the client from my account manager in the TRITON website, reactivated my account, and procceeded to install RIFT. After RIFT was installed for after roughly less than 5 minutes, I continued to download the patches that only took me another 20 minutes. Following after that, I tried to start the game.

This is were the problem began. After clicking on the Play button on the RIFT Client, the bar filled up instantly, the game started to come up with the black screen thing coming in. Seconds later, I got an error message. It says "RIFT - ERROR Hander" with the options of sending information to TRITON and restarting the game or just sending the information to TRITION. Tried them both. In addition to that, I made sure the correct ports were in my router, open my firewall for all the EXE programs listed in the RIFT Folder, did the same thing in my acception list for my Microsft Securty, and made sure was everything was trusted in my Norton 360 insight relating to RIFT.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program 5 times already. 3 reinstalls were from the RIFT client I downloaded from their website. 2 reinstalls were from my RIFT copy I purchased back when the game was released. The following are steps I've tried to see if I can get RIFT working:

-Shut off my AV Firewall and turn off the program--made sure none of the norton processies were active.
    -Drop the resolution down to the lowest possible settings (800x600) even with Norton 360 off.
    -By-pass my modem connection hardline start to my Computer.
    -Checked my Dxdiag in 32 and 64 bit. It's not detecting any errors in the GPU, Sound, or Perphierals.

None of these stepped worked...

Norton isn't detecting that my RIFT files are viruses. My firewall isn't indicating that it's blocking RifterrorHandler.exe or any other exe file from RIFT in the logs. My Event Viewer or Reliability monitor isn't indicating any problems with my system relating to RIFT.

3 to 4 months ago, the game was working fine on my computer rig. The only thing that's changed on my computer is a new ssd, a new mobo, a new processor, a new monitor, and a new OS (Win 7 64 bit). I've got the newest updated driver version from the Nvidia website.

The following are my Rig's spec:
    i7 990 ee processor
    OCZ vertex 240 GB SSD
    Gig G1 Killer Assasin Mobo
    12 gb of Corsair Dominator GT
    2 EVGA 480 HydroChoppers in SLI
    Onboard 20K2 Soundblaster system
    Dell 30" monitor with a max resolution of 2560 x 1600

Any comments or suggestions would help my situation...

A workaround that may help: go to task manager, find the errorhandler process, end it. make sure you also do not hit "play" with a website open (you can open one after you log in if you do websurfing while playing). this works for me 99% of the time. good luck.

L to R: Jadeth, Ivo, Emaranthe, Jaeger
    Rift Fan Fiction!Ch. 11 of Book 3 is here! New web address: www.writezalot.com
    "The most articulated value in Greek culture is Areté. Translated as "virtue," the word actually means something closer to "being the best you can be,"

Soulwalker

To Hawt Mama,

It didn't work, and I am not 100% sure I did it the way you instructed. I had my task manager up before starting up the RIFT Client. On my taskmanager, it only showed the "riftpatchlive.exe" process on the list. That's with "showing all processes listed" enabled. I logged in after inputting my password and email. Nothing more showed up on my taskmanager after that. I didn't have any IE up for any webpages. Clicked on the play. 2 to 3 seconds later, RIFT.exe, RiftErrorHandler.exe popped up. After that, the same RIFT - ERROR Handler msg popped up. "RIFT has encountered an error" with the option of "Send report and restart the game" or "Send report and close."

I tried to end the process for RiftErrorHandler.exe and it just quit the client. I had to reopen the client back up.

Appreciate it.

Soulwalker

Default So...

I'm guessing the recent updates that took place on the 15th might be the cause of the problems. I've tried playing WoW and other games, and my system seems to be functioning fine.

RiftErrorHandler.exe is a file that came from the recent patch. It wasn't listed in my RIFT folder before the client was downloaded and installed, or on my DVD copy.

Still haven't found any way around my problem or thought of any ways to fix it.

I am having this exact same problem. Very annoying.

I tried the suggestion, closing mozilla. However, rifterrorhandler doesn't open until it hangs, and starts to try to find the error. This is very annoying, as I cannot play at all. Anyone else having this issue find a solution?

AMD Phemon Black X4 955 3.20 GHz
    4 gigs of memory, 3.25 usable
    Windows 7 32 bit
    Nvidia geforce 9500 card

Soulwalker

Default Update.

I'm still experiencing the same problem. The following are things I have tried to get around it:

-Used a smaller monitor at resolution 1920 x 1080, but it didn't work.
    -Installed other games like CoD MW2, Farcry 2, and experience other problems.

What I learned from CoD MW2 and Farcry 2, the Nvidia driver is crashing. File nvd3dumx.dll experienced an error in both games when loading up. I've got the latest version of the Nvidia Driver, 275.33. This could be the problem that RiftErrorHandler.exe is reporting when I am loading RIFT.

Therefore, Im going to install an Nvidia driver that's accouple versions back, and report the results later.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii808Man View Post
    I'm still experiencing the same problem. The following are things I have tried to get around it:

-Used a smaller monitor at resolution 1920 x 1080, but it didn't work.
    -Installed other games like CoD MW2, Farcry 2, and experience other problems.

What I learned from CoD MW2 and Farcry 2, the Nvidia driver is crashing. File nvd3dumx.dll experienced an error in both games when loading up. I've got the latest version of the Nvidia Driver, 275.33. This could be the problem that RiftErrorHandler.exe is reporting when I am loading RIFT.

Therefore, Im going to install an Nvidia driver that's accouple versions back, and report the results later.
    Hm. I have been playing the Sims 3, Aion, and WoW with no problems so far, with the driver before the most recent, I believe. I had some problems with the sims and rolled it back, even though it ended up not being the problem. I could have sworn I updated it again, though. Gonna try updating it now.

Scratch that, it is the latest.
    Last edited by Araenna Leane; 06-19-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Soulwalker

Default Re:

After installing Nvidia Driver version 266.58, I am still experiencing the same problems. This is just the Display Driver and PHYSX. 266.58 still uses the file nvd3dumx.dll.

To Araenna Leane,

WoW works completely fine with 275.33 + SLI enhancement 39. I haven't checked AION, but I'm going to assume that it does work.

Back to the drawing board.

My previous assumption might still be true. There's a problem in the previous Rift Patch that's causing the problem.
    Last edited by Hawaii808Man; 06-19-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Soulwalker

Default Update...

I'm still unable to get on.

A friend of mine made a suggestion earlier today. He told me to download the PTR version of the RIFT client and see if I get the same results. The patches that are coming up in a few days will be on the PTR. I just got done with the patch update, and the "RIFT - ERROR Handler" msg still came up.

If anybody else is having the same problem, can you plz make a reply on this thread. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Soulwalker

Default Re.

Just installed Battlefield Bad Company 2. Surprisingly, it worked just fine. Turned all settings to max except the AA. I left the AA at 4 or 6 MSAA.

I'm guessing certain games are having problems with nvd3dumx.dll in version 275.33. I can't find anyone with an error code from a failed graphics driver on the Nvidia side.

I put in a ticket type thing through the web support form. Hopefully I'll get a response, and they'll have some advice. If not, I guess I'll be cancelling my account when it comes up, even though I was really looking forward to playing. >.<

Soulwalker

Default Re:

Ya. I have a ticket up since this past Friday.

Soulwalker

Default Update 6/20

Ok so I got an email from a Tech Support person from Triton. The following is what he told me:

Step 1 - Go into my MSCONFIG on my windows run thing.
    Step 2 - Look up Startup programs and disable all of them.
    Step 3 - Go into services, click on the box that said "hide all microsoft services" and disable the rest. You'll be prompted with a reboot.

He didn't make a comment after that, but told me if I have anymore questions, let them know.

Results: It didn't solve the problem. When I got home from work today, I followed it exactly to the letter. The problem still persist. Seems like none of my startups or services is stopping me from playing RIFT.

Soulwalker

Default Problem Solved!!!!

Nvidia Website just listed it's new Beta Driver, 275.55, and my RIFT client is working properly now. I can get into the game now. Awesome! My hunch about the driver crashing was right on the money.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast