Ok here is my problem.
Just yesterday, I wanted to reactivate my account and start playing RIFT. I downloaded the client from my account manager in the TRITON website, reactivated my account, and procceeded to install RIFT. After RIFT was installed for after roughly less than 5 minutes, I continued to download the patches that only took me another 20 minutes. Following after that, I tried to start the game.
This is were the problem began. After clicking on the Play button on the RIFT Client, the bar filled up instantly, the game started to come up with the black screen thing coming in. Seconds later, I got an error message. It says "RIFT - ERROR Hander" with the options of sending information to TRITON and restarting the game or just sending the information to TRITION. Tried them both. In addition to that, I made sure the correct ports were in my router, open my firewall for all the EXE programs listed in the RIFT Folder, did the same thing in my acception list for my Microsft Securty, and made sure was everything was trusted in my Norton 360 insight relating to RIFT.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program 5 times already. 3 reinstalls were from the RIFT client I downloaded from their website. 2 reinstalls were from my RIFT copy I purchased back when the game was released. The following are steps I've tried to see if I can get RIFT working:
-Shut off my AV Firewall and turn off the program--made sure none of the norton processies were active.
-Drop the resolution down to the lowest possible settings (800x600) even with Norton 360 off.
-By-pass my modem connection hardline start to my Computer.
-Checked my Dxdiag in 32 and 64 bit. It's not detecting any errors in the GPU, Sound, or Perphierals.
None of these stepped worked...
Norton isn't detecting that my RIFT files are viruses. My firewall isn't indicating that it's blocking RifterrorHandler.exe or any other exe file from RIFT in the logs. My Event Viewer or Reliability monitor isn't indicating any problems with my system relating to RIFT.
3 to 4 months ago, the game was working fine on my computer rig. The only thing that's changed on my computer is a new ssd, a new mobo, a new processor, a new monitor, and a new OS (Win 7 64 bit). I've got the newest updated driver version from the Nvidia website.
The following are my Rig's spec:
i7 990 ee processor
OCZ vertex 240 GB SSD
Gig G1 Killer Assasin Mobo
12 gb of Corsair Dominator GT
2 EVGA 480 HydroChoppers in SLI
Onboard 20K2 Soundblaster system
Dell 30" monitor with a max resolution of 2560 x 1600
Any comments or suggestions would help my situation...