Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rift Crashing???

Rift Disciple

Default Rift Crashing???

I have been playing rift since beta 5 without any major problems. About a week after release I was having some low fps issues but those were resolved by rift's outstanding tech support. Anyways back to my issue. On Tuesday after updating with the patch anytime I log into and enter the game world of rift my screen freezes and the game crashes. Sometimes it does it right after the entering the game world, sometimes it does it 5 minutes or so after entering, sometimes it waits until I start a warfront?

In an attempt to find the issue causing this I have completed the following:

1) removed and added new video card drivers (nvidia suite and just plain drivers)
    2) kept app controlled settings in video card control panel
    2) ran hard drive test - comes back 100 fine
    4) ran memtest - comes back 100% fine
    5) Video card test - comes back within normal scores for my card
    6) Reinstall rift

None of these have corrected the issue, however I have found a temporary fix for it that is really annoying:

7) Right after logging into the game I run the recover option for rift and the problem goes away... until I shut the game down and try to come back in... then I have to run the recover option again.

it is really annoying that I have to do this every single time I want to play rift. Please is there any fix other than this as I hate that it takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes to boot up the game?

About my system:
    Nvidia GTS 450 video card
    Intel I7 Extreme cpu
    16gb Corsair ram
    Western digital 1.5Tb hard drive (85% free)
    750w Antec Power supply

Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by Purinna; 06-18-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Rift Disciple

It might be worth mentioning that when rift crashes / locks up I can alt tab out fine and everything else is running great... just not rift.

I have tried running Crysis minimized in the background and it is working fine during the time that rift is locking up / crashing.

Exact problem here, been struggling with it.

I have formatted my comp, reinstalled all drivers and i can also tab out / tab in RIFT and it sometimes works out. Been reading over 50+ pages of this problem from the Freezing / Crashing topic on tech forum and they all state it is RIFT fault. Have been people who had this problem from diff patches like 1.2 and so on, but i got it from Tuesday and i myself use Nvidia gcard.

Because i like you played since beta all fine until this day.

Also been recovering before i logged in, but never noticed if that fixes it. Will test it myself in a couple of mins.

I raid only 1 hour per week!

Can confirm that recover before starting RIFT actually fix this, but this only a temporary fix as stated.

I raid only 1 hour per week!

Soulwalker

Same thing happening to me - RIFT worked fine until a couple of patches back, when I started getting intermittent crashes. I just started playing tonight, and have crashed perhaps 5 or 6 times in less than an hour. I've done the recovery option, and video & audio drivers are fully up to date. I don't think I should have to jump through hoops to play a game that worked perfectly until recently, so I'm not going to reinstall windows or anything, as the rest of my system works fine.

Please fix this soon.

Same thing happens to me, crashes like crazy lately.

Alot, if not all, seem to have nvidia motherboard, so it could be nvid... I have a 780i SLI.

They need to hurry and fix this I've tried everything you stated plus more, messing with video settings in-game, to no avail.

Rift Disciple

Additional information I have found for my situation on this:

If I shut the game down walk away for a couple hours (after having done a recover earlier in the day and left my pc up and running) then I return and log back into the game I still remain free of any issues.

If I shut the game down, turn my computer off and leave it off for a couple hours then come back to my desk, turn my computer on and log in to the game, the issue returns (and is subsequently resolved by doing yet another recover).

Soulwalker

Default Re:

To the OP,

What nvidia driver are you using?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii808Man View Post
    To the OP,

What nvidia driver are you using?
    Sorry so long on the reply i had went to bed for the night after posting last time

From Device Manager:
    Nvidia GeForce GTS 450
    Driver Provider: NVIDIA
    Driver Date: 2/23/2011
    Driver version: 8.17.12.6724
    Digital Signer: Microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher

Ps.. My OS is Windows Vista Ultimate X64. I didn't get my drivers from nvidia but instead from windows update. When using the windows update drivers i stay at about 60 fps... but hwne i use the drivers from nvidia directly it drops down to about 45.

Soulwalker

Default Recently Started Crashing Repeatedly

Same problem here. Playing Rift since beta with no major crashing issues, but recently have been crashing repeatedly to desktop and "send error report" option. I crash, restart, and crash again within only a few minutes. I play WFs alot and have been crashing anywhere from 2-5 or more times per warfront. Sometimes I get kicked out of WF and get the debuff, but not always. Again, I've never had any problems like this before this week. Something must have gotten broken in the last patch. Trion, please fix!

Acer Aspire 7552G-6061
    AMD Phenom II X4 Mobile Processor N950 (2.1 GHz)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
    4 GB DDR3 Memory

Soulwalker

Default Re:

Do you guys get a code when you're problems occur?

Shadowlander

im getting the exact same problem, and no, im getting no code

Rift Disciple

Do you guys get a code when you're problems occur?
    no code here. rift just locks up... after a minute or so the game disappears and I'm back at my desktop with one of those windows boxes that asks to report a problem. Who knows where those go?

Now that the weekend is over, and the workweek is about to start, here's to hoping that someone from Trion will come along with an answer.
    Last edited by Purinna; 06-20-2011 at 01:37 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Purinna View Post
    Sorry so long on the reply i had went to bed for the night after posting last time

From Device Manager:
    Nvidia GeForce GTS 450
    Driver Provider: NVIDIA
    Driver Date: 2/23/2011
    Driver version: 8.17.12.6724
    Digital Signer: Microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher

Ps.. My OS is Windows Vista Ultimate X64. I didn't get my drivers from nvidia but instead from windows update. When using the windows update drivers i stay at about 60 fps... but hwne i use the drivers from nvidia directly it drops down to about 45.
    8.17.12.6724 isn't the driver version. It's probably a .DLL version to a file listed in you're system info when you open it in your Nvidia control pannel. I've looked up your GFX card on the Nvidia forum, and they use the same driver as the other 400/500 series cards.

You're either using 275.33 or something less. I think you have an older version by a couple months, but it shouldn't prevent you from playing RIFT in any way.
    Last edited by Hawaii808Man; 06-20-2011 at 02:29 AM.

Rift Disciple

8.17.12.6724 isn't the driver version. It's probably a .DLL version to a file listed in you're system info when you open it in your Nvidia control pannel. I've looked up your GFX card on the Nvidia forum, and they use the same driver as the other 400/500 series cards.

You're either using 275.33 or something less. I think you have an older version by a couple months, but it shouldn't prevent you from playing RIFT in any way.
    That stuff I copied earlier was verbatim from my device manager. I don't have the nvidia control panel installed (per the rift tech support who contacted me back then). Like I was saying earlier back when rift first went live I was having some FPS issues and found that uninstalling the nvidia control panel and going with the windows update drivers from Microsoft cured my problem. Rift has worked fine up until last week when the patch hit, that's when my problem began.

I haven't had any drop in FPS. I haven't had any lag in large pvp battles or dungeons. I'm still cruising along at 60+ FPS while the game is playing. It has been about a week now since the patch hit and this problem has started. Any time I turn my PC off I do a recover from the login screen and I have "0" issues with the game.

If I am in a hurry and don't do the recover before entering the game, then I begin crashing and freezing. It is 100% reproducible every single time. I guess I will just have to continue to be annoyed by it though as it could be worse for me like some people are experiencing.

Appears Trion is just going to stick their head in the sand. How disappointing.
    Last edited by Purinna; 06-20-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast