+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Need advice for computer upgrades

Default Need advice for computer upgrades

Ive been playing with the settings turned as low as they'll go and it runs fine, but I'm getting to the point that would like to be able to up the settings some (be able to turn that low quality render off and still be able to move ).
    Ive only got around 300$ to spend on this (i can go more if i really need to but would rather not if i can help it).
    I'm pretty much completely lost when it comes to computer so I'm hoping somebody here could help me out

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 6/4/2011, 18:31:39
    Machine name: USER-PC
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110408-1633)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: MSI
    System Model: MS-7309
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 245 Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Page File: 2403MB used, 5784MB available

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x954F)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_954F&SUBSYS_22711787&REV_00
    Display Memory: 2296 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 504 MB
    Shared Memory: 1791 MB
    Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Soulwalker

Check IBUYPOWER.com

That's where i got my new comp

you need a new cpu and gpu, but also that will then mean a new mainboard then new ram. Unfortuantly there is not really a cheap option to get what your after.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaymar View Post
    you need a new cpu and gpu, but also that will then mean a new mainboard then new ram. Unfortuantly there is not really a cheap option to get what your after.
    thats what i was afraid of hearing , so theres really no way around essentially just needing to get a new comp?

Soulwalker

Basically..

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by Flaymar View Post
    No it doesn't. He has an AM3 CPU. He just needs to buy an Athlon/Phenom II with 3+ cores Above 3GHz and a new GPU.

OP best bang for your buck on upgrades. Get a Phenom IIx4 840 and a GTX460. If you're on the broke side get an Athlon IIx3 above 3GHz and a GTX 450 or Radeon 5750.

You're fine on everything else for running on Ultra in 720p.
    Last edited by Rich Aemry; 06-05-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by Battlehardened View Post
    Check IBUYPOWER.com

That's where i got my new comp
    Read their support forums. You'll never buy from them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aemry View Post
    No it doesn't. He has an AM3 CPU. He just needs to buy an Athlon/Phenom II with 3+ cores Above 3GHz and a new GPU.

OP best bang for your buck on upgrades. Get a Phenom IIx4 840 and a GTX460. If you're on the broke side get an Athlon IIx3 above 3GHz and a GTX 450 or Radeon 5750.

You're fine on everything else for running on Ultra in 720p.
    Okay, just to get this straight for me (sorry for probably sounding like Im an idiot here, I'm sort of leaning as i go) i went on newegg and found
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-921-_-Product
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127518

Are those the right ones? (just to make sure i didn't find the wrong ones, which i probably did is why i ask heh)

Also, somebody pointed out would my PSU be enough to switch to those if i did without having to replace it to, or how would i go about finding out if it would be?

Sorry for so many questions, just don't want to end up buying the wrong thing when i do.

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by Robes View Post
    Okay, just to get this straight for me (sorry for probably sounding like Im an idiot here, I'm sort of leaning as i go) i went on newegg and found
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-921-_-Product
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127518

Are those the right ones? (just to make sure i didn't find the wrong ones, which i probably did is why i ask heh)

Also, somebody pointed out would my PSU be enough to switch to those if i did without having to replace it to, or how would i go about finding out if it would be?

Sorry for so many questions, just don't want to end up buying the wrong thing when i do.

That's the right CPU, but the wrong GPU. You only want to get the 768MB GTX460(don't get the SE or 1GB,) and don't pay a penny over $150 for it. My personal taste favors the Asus Direct CU 460 768MB, but galaxy makes a nice one too.
    Get a PSU to be on the safe side anyways, a corsair builder series 500w is the best for your money for the GPU and CPU you're buying. If you want to see what your PSU is beforehand, look at it. It will tell you what it pushes out. A GTX 460 needs 450w, 2 6pin connectors, and a 24A 12V rail. This will al be on a sticker on the PSU. you should just buy one though IMO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-018-_-Product

PSU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121390

GPU

After shipping and before rebates that's $320 for all 3, but you won't regret the PSU upgrade.

Telaran

Don't listen to him, a 500w power supply is barely enough to cover what you're already running.

The nvidia 460GTX has a problem running on a 700w power supply in my PC - i had to disconnect my CDROM to run it with 2 SATA hard drives and an IDE.

As far as power supplies go too, you never want to buy brand name. You're always paying through your nose for BS. Get yourself a 1200 watt power supply from a local, PRIVATE parts provider (computer shop) and you'll pay about $50-120 maximum.

EDIT: ALso that 460gtx he's linked is a downgrade/modified version of the default 256bit model- you'll encounter nothing but problems with models modified as much as this
    Last edited by Pure Phoenix; 06-07-2011 at 07:39 AM.

CPU Support List for MSI K9N6PGM2-V Motherboard

In summary you can run the following upgrades CPUS:
    Athlon II X3 400e, 405e, 415e, and Athlon II X4 600e, 605e, 610e.

There are some Phenom II X3's and X4's available but those are generally pricier and since the budget is semi limited I opted just to show the Athlon II's.

As for GPU the nVidia Geforce GTS450 1GB DDR5 or HD Radeon 5770 1GB DDR5 and up combined with a tri-core or quad core AMD are able to play Rift on Ultra.

In regards to your power supply the minimum requirements for most video cards $150 and up is usually 450W however if the money is available in the budget to purchase a 600W + power supply then that is an investment that you will want to make.

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Phoenix View Post
    Don't listen to him, a 500w power supply is barely enough to cover what you're already running.

The nvidia 460GTX has a problem running on a 700w power supply in my PC - i had to disconnect my CDROM to run it with 2 SATA hard drives and an IDE.

As far as power supplies go too, you never want to buy brand name. You're always paying through your nose for BS. Get yourself a 1200 watt power supply from a local, PRIVATE parts provider (computer shop) and you'll pay about $50-120 maximum.

EDIT: ALso that 460gtx he's linked is a downgrade/modified version of the default 256bit model- you'll encounter nothing but problems with models modified as much as this
    You're clueless if you think all that. You only need 1200w for a dual CPU quad GPU configuration. You had to disconnect your SATA drive b/c you bought a crappy power supply. Nvidia will tell you themselves a GTX 460 only needs 24A on a 12v rail.. People run them on 300w all the time, though I don't recommend it.

W=VI; 24A*12V=288W Total theoretical GPU TPW. Basic 6th grade math.

You'd better buy brand names in PSUs as well. Buying a POS PSU means everything gets toasted when it fails. Corsair gets voted the best PSU ODM year after year for a reason. They will replace anything that a faulty unit toasts.

Asus Aftermarket PCBs are higher quality than a reference PCB or any reference card. Learn to read reviews before talking out your arse. Asus holds almost every world record for benchmarking and overclocking on almost every benchmark. They don't make junk. Reference cards almost always run too hot and loud. The GTX460 was no exception.

You keep going to your computer store. The guy who owns it is laughing his way to the bank when you walk in the door and buy his $20 no-name crap with a 300% markup.

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Phoenix View Post

Wow, just wow...

If you're having trouble running a GTX460 with a few extra peripherals on a 700W PSU you're either doing something majorly wrong or it's a crap PSU - I'm guessing it's the latter judging by the silly advice you're giving him in your last paragraph...

I'm running:
    GTX 470 superclocked
    Core i5 2500k OCed @ 4ghz
    8gb DDR3 RAM
    lots of fans and peripherals (including some chargable devices i hook up and can charge just fine even while gaming)

powering it is a Corsair TX 750 watt PSU that's been in this PC since it was built (and afterwards upgraded) 2.5 years ago and has been through some pretty intensive useage during those years.

The system is rock stable, and I have zero power problems.

So sorry OP, but I wouldn't listen to this guy. Get yourself a CERTIFIED PSU, one that comes with the voltages to back up the power output it claims to provide and you will be just fine. You don't need a vastly overpowered PSU (1000W or more) for that build, you just need to get a PSU that has the proper voltages and amps in addition to the right power output. Quality PSU's from certified brands possess those secondary specs in almost all cases, even on their 'lower end' (lower wattage) models, while cheap nameless PSU's often don't. With cheap PSU's you need to buy vastly higher wattage models to get the right voltages and amps, because the lower wattage models aren't tailored to high end gaming systems..
    Last edited by Amarinth; 06-07-2011 at 08:18 AM.

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by Razo View Post
    CPU Support List for MSI K9N6PGM2-V Motherboard

In summary you can run the following upgrades CPUS:
    Athlon II X3 400e, 405e, 415e, and Athlon II X4 600e, 605e, 610e.

There are some Phenom II X3's and X4's available but those are generally pricier and since the budget is semi limited I opted just to show the Athlon II's.

As for GPU the nVidia Geforce GTS450 1GB DDR5 or HD Radeon 5770 1GB DDR5 and up combined with a tri-core or quad core AMD are able to play Rift on Ultra.

In regards to your power supply the minimum requirements for most video cards $150 and up is usually 450W however if the money is available in the budget to purchase a 600W + power supply then that is an investment that you will want to make.
    The Phenom IIx4 840 is actually a re-branded Athlon IIx4 at higher clocks. It's pretty quick for $100USD.

If he's never going to SLI or CFX (that MOBO won't) 500w is plenty. A GTX 460 is currently the best budget GPU for your money. Rift runs much smoother on Nvidia for the time being anyways. It is an TWIMTBP title after all.

A GTS 450 is a damn nice card as well, and a 5770 comes in single slot versions (great for little cases.) Both will run the game on ultra (as will a 5750.) They aren't as beefy though.

OP one thing I didn't think of was a 6850. You will get by on a 400w GPU just fine, and it's only +- 3% from a GTX 460. They are routinely $160 online, but you can get a cheaper PSU which will drop the price of the entire upgrade by like $20USD. I'd go with the bigger PSU and the GTX460 if I were you though. Rift favors Nvidia, and the 6850 is somewhat of an abnormality in how little power it uses. GPUs keep sucking more and more juice so I'd get the 500w since it will still run new mid-range GPUs coming out for the next 4-6 years.

Telaran

Yea alright kids, you keep thinknig i'm wrong. Until you try plugging a secondary screen up to your video card and frying the video card because your POWER SUPPLY CANNOT COPE.

Using 1 monitor yes, it'll use as low as 300w of power.
    Using 2, the usage litterally doubles and in some cases even exceeds double the power usage.
    Using 3+ monitors iirc it starts to plateau around 150w per additional monitor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast