+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My CPU / Overall PC stinks - Suggestions for Upgrade, please? =)

Shadowlander

Default My CPU / Overall PC stinks - Suggestions for Upgrade, please? =)

Hi folks...

So recently, I've been having trouble playing Rift the way I was hoping to play it with my new GPU, Geforce GTX 460, in combination with my old, pre-built crappy Dell CPU, an AMD 5600+ Dual Core processor. Yea, they aren't working well together.

I can run the game at High or so in the open world fine, until I get into major Rift events, and Warfronts. Overall, the only good things I have in my Case are my RAM (8gigs) and my GPU; everything else sucks and needs to be replaced.

My Wish List - Things to Buy in the near Future
    -------------------

CPU - I've been looking at AMD processors. I'd like to buy a Quad Core. I can spend around $100 on this.

Mobo - Anything that isn't cheap, but nothing expensive that will go well with the new CPU. Maybe even a combo deal if the price is right on newegg or something. I'd say, $50-$70 for this? Really not familiar with Mobos.

Case - Something big enough to fit my GPU and what not in. My current one is small, and cramped full basically. I'd like to spend no more than $60 on a case... it's just a case, or is it?

PSU - Yea, my current PSU is only 550W, and not of a good brand name, but has lived on for 2 years or so now. I'd like to find a 700-750W PSU, Corsair or Antec. I will not buy a cheap PSU this time. I'd like to spend no more than $120 for this.

OS - I hate Vista, and it's a 32-Bit so I can't get the most out of my RAM. I'd like to get Windows 7, so I'd be spending around $80 I'm hoping; I'll have to shop around for this I think.

So all that, including my GPU, RAM, and HD will go in said new computer. If the math is done right, I'd be spending around $300-$450 or so. Is that a decent amount spent to upgrade my PC? Really, I'm just building a new one it seems after all these years, and I'm tired of replacing a new part here and there.

Now, I'm not sure what everyone else uses, but I'd like to be able to WF with High settings, with little frame rate issues like I've been experiencing even at Low Render bullcrap setting, so if you have any suggestions on what I should be looking at, or want to share what you did on your upgrades, or money spent; or have anything to say at all, please, I'd like to hear it.
    2x 50 Clerics | Shatterbone
    50 Mage | Rocklift

Re-Roll : Rogue | Briarcliff |

mmos unlike traditional games do require more cpu resources apposed to gpu power. so as above defiantly invest heavily in a string core and get a good cpu. i would honestly pay for a i7 intel cpu as you will always get more bang for ure buck.

i would go with intel this time around,

Shield of Telara

sorry got distracted and can't edit now. So to the rest of my post:

Buy these to get the core upgraded and then later get a bigger/better PSU for future growth.

Shadowlander

Thanks for the suggestions people. Will go from here and see about upgrading given the recommendations. Personally, I'm a fan of AMD, but I'll not let the Intel suggestions go to waste.

I do have a question however. Windows 7 32-Bit vs 64-Bit. What are the differences? If I went the cheaper route, and grabbed a 32-Bit copy, would I have any noticeable issues?

I only ask this because with Vista 32-Bit, which I have, we're capped as far as RAM goes, though if I were to upgrade to the 64-Bit, the RAM that I do have (4gig) would all be put to use. Isn't it like, 2gigs max for 32-Bit (Vista)? I thought it was, but it says I have 3. I could be wrong, and the cap is 3, but either way, is this the same for Windows 7 32-Bit / 64-Bit?
    50 Mage | Rocklift

32 Bit operating systems will only ever be able to utilize 3.25GB's of RAM where as a 64 Bit operating system has a roof of like 64GB's or something crazy. So return your 32Bit OS and get the 64Bit since you have 8GB's of memory.

Glancing over the initial post while trying to utilize your preexisting 8GB of memory would save a few bucks you will in turn end up setting yourself back performance and upgrade wise. Your 8GB of memory is going to be DDR2 which most AMD AM2/AM2+ boards are but most AM3 boards do not support DDR2 memory as they support DDR3.

What this means is that if you want to move up to a new AMD AM3 Quad Core CPU your best bet is to purchase an AMD AM3 motherboard and at least 4GB of DDR3 memory. You can usually find package deals for this sort of thing. When I have time tonight I'll come up with a few packages for you so you can see a price comparison between using the preexisting memory and purchasing a bundle with DDR3 memory.

Shadowlander

Ah that's right, DDR3 RAM... totally forgot about that. So yea, I will have to buy DDR3 RAM this time when purchasing a new mobo.

32-Bit / 64-Bit: I was afraid of that. 64-Bit it is.
    50 Mage | Rocklift

Forgot to mention you can use your 32 Bit license for a 64 Bit install if you can get a copy of the 64 Bit install disk. The licenses are universal between the two its just a matter of whether you install 32 or 64.

1x MSI 880GMA-E53 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard (Model:880GMA-E53) $99.99
    1x AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX (Model:HDZ955FBGMBOX) $114.99
    1x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (Model:F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL) $47.99

Total before tax and shipping: $262.97

This would be a good start if you prefer AMD. I am running close to the same setup with minimal issues in game. All items found at newegg.com.

Default Mobo Thoughts

It looks as if you don't upgrade often. With that in mind, some money should be spent in future-proofing as much as reasonable. (Actually I think the FTC requires "future-resistant".)

I'd agree with the i7 suggestion if you can swing it. Else i5. Windows 7, if it's not too late, and definitely 64 bit. Just a better version of Vista, Perfection by Successive Approximation. (TM Microsoft)

Try to get a Mobo with solid electrolytic capacitors, for better lifetime and reliability. (You'll sometimes have to go to the manufacturer's sites for that info.)

HardOCP does very good power supply reviews, (in fact very good reviews period), and Anandtech is also very good. Be sure your case can exhaust the heat... and someday you might want to upgrade your hard disk(s).

Let us know how it works out...

AMD Suggestion
    Motherboard - Asus M4A78LT-M $69.99
    CPU - AMD Athlon II X4 635 $89.99
    Memory - G Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333 $39.99
    Case - Antec One Hundred Black $54.99
    Power Supply - Antec NEO 620W $69.99

Intel Suggestion
    To come later I just realized I have to get to work.

Intel Suggestion
    Motherboard - MSI PH67S-C43 $84.99
    CPU - Intel i3-2100 Dual Core $124.99
    or
    CPU - Intel i5-2400 Quad Core $189.99

+ Reply to Thread