+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Hotels Blocked from Rift Since Update

Plane Touched

I just logged on last night and this morning from my hotel. So, not sure what that means....
    Krieger-Guardian Guild on Galena. You'd be welcome there

If trouble with "free wireless internet" at hotel then i think that can be quite "normal" since rift requires decent speed. If trouble with extra payed "fast wired internet like buho said" then something serieusly is wrong.

Either way it's good that the staff look into it
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestran View Post
    lol, you are the one I could see,
    ToTDQ:4/4 || FT: 4/4 || EE 5/5 || HM (3/4)

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #18
    Rift Team

We're looking into this issue now. Thanks for letting us know, and we appreciate your patience!

/aahz

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    We're looking into this issue now. Thanks for letting us know, and we appreciate your patience!

/aahz
    I actually work from one of the big three hotel companies designing and writing the guest and back of the house technology standards. A proper hotel network should not be limiting guest on which ports they are using or connecting through, however they may limit bandwidth to the guest due to bandwidth available in the properties location.

However I have actually had an issue with not being able to connect through a hotel network in Chicago or Boston (I travel to much) recently in one of my companies brands. The issue actually happened before 1.6 came out. I know what the problem is, and would be glad to help Trion take a look at it.

I am pretty sure they have my contact info.
    Last edited by Xlost; 06-02-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespera View Post
    Hi folks,

We want to clarify that this is not intentional, and we're looking into it. Thank you for reporting it to us!

/aahz
    Thank you so much!

/aahz
    ask your people if they in any way changed the way the packets are being sent. you might have changed the way the packets look, and now rift is being treated as 'unknown' or maybe the packets look like torrents/file sharing.

If any of you having this problem, and are smart enough to use a proxy then try that.

Telaran

To help resolve the issue it would be good if your having trouble to list the hotel brand, and also if you are using a wired or wireless connection.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Xlost View Post
    To help resolve the issue it would be good if your having trouble to list the hotel brand, and also if you are using a wired or wireless connection.
    I'm at a Comfort Inn and Suites using Broadband Hostpitality as ISP. I had been playing for two weeks before the patch.

Ladea, Awesome job sliding over to the general forums here, we had no visibility at all in the tech support forums.

And for all the haters... This isn't about free wireless internet... I have 2mb dedicated to my wired connection. The game worked fine for two weeks before the patch. It's clearly an update to blacklists on a firewall during maintenance. I'm sure TRION probably didn't choose to block hotels, but whatever security provider or appliance they are using probably had added them to the blacklist updates for their products.

Hacking from public internet connections such as hotels is common, so you can see why they might block this. Hackers use public connections to lessen traceability

But nevertheless we're all paying customers, who didn't find any warnings on the box about not playing from hotels, this should be fixed, and we all deserver some type of credit for this. 30 days worth even for the effort of keeping posting, calling support and, and keeping each other informed where TRION was lacking. A few updates last night would have been nice for all of us.

--JohnnyMac
    Last edited by JohnnyMac; 06-02-2011 at 10:33 AM.

Soulwalker

So let me get this straight, as I may be a bit confused.

Phone support says it is intentional.
    Moderator says it is not intentional and being looked into.
    Email support says the problem is on my end not theirs.

Does that about sum it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Xlost View Post
    My hotel uses GuestTek (a few others in the tech thread also have this provider). It's wireless.

I've heard theories ranging from the patch having blocked certain ports to having blacklisted certain IPs. I'm no network expert, just throwing that out there as possibly something to look at.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ladea View Post
    I've heard theories ranging from the patch having blocked certain ports to having blacklisted certain IPs. I'm no network expert, just throwing that out there as possibly something to look at.
    Either are a possibility, but even if both are wrong, Trion knows what changes were made yesterday. They need to systematically check, find a fix, and apply. And in the meantime give us promising updates and compensate for time that we paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    Ladea, Awesome job sliding over to the general forums here, we had no visibility at all in the tech support forums.

And for all the haters... This isn't about free wireless internet...

But nevertheless we're all paying customers, who didn't find any warnings on the box about not playing from hotels, this should be fixed, and we all deserver some type of credit for this. 30 days worth even for the effort of keeping posting, calling support and, and keeping each other informed where TRION was lacking. A few updates last night would have been nice for all of us.
    Thanks. It didn't look like anyone was ever going to look at that thread in Tech Support and every time I mentioned it over the phone I was told it's "a common problem" among people staying at hotels that they often have to deal with and nothing unique to this latest update.

I forgot to add that I'm at Homestead Studio Suites. As far as "free internet" it is not free. It is part of the cost of the stay just as electricity and water is.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how they would determine credit unless there's a way to prove hotel usage and that we were affected by the 'lockout'.

Quote Originally Posted by z3r0fi11 View Post
    So let me get this straight, as I may be a bit confused.

Phone support says it is intentional.
    Moderator says it is not intentional and being looked into.
    Email support says the problem is on my end not theirs.

Does that about sum it up?
    Yeah, basically. :P

Rift Chaser

There's an ongoing thread about this issue on the Tech Support forums:

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...nto-characters
    /thread
    /10char

*edit*
    /em laughs at anyone asking for refunds.
    Really? You may not be able to play for a couple days and you want Trion to give you money? Grow up.
    Last edited by FuseAQM; 06-02-2011 at 10:46 AM.

If the squeaky wheel's always gettin' the grease,
    I'm totally devoted to disturbing the peace.

Telaran

My hotel uses GuestTek (a few others in the tech thread also have this provider). It's wireless.

I know GuestTek pretty well. No hotel or provider will blacklist a paying customer to specific IP's, they do this before authentication however.

Give me a few minutes I have a GuestTek setup in my lab I can run some test.

Rift Disciple missnightbutterfly's Avatar

dont hate me for saying this..

but why would you wanna play games if you are in a hotel anyway? arent you normally in a hotel for like traveling or business?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast