+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New computer, can I run Rift?

Soulwalker

Default New computer, can I run Rift?

I have been looking for a new computer that will be able to run Rift on Medium to High settings with no lag in rift zones or dungeons. I think i have found one, but i am not good at comparing computer specs. I am just looking for any one to tell me if this new system will run the game well. Thanks for any help or advice.

MEMORY 4GB Shared Single Channel DDR3 Memory edit
    HARD DRIVE 500GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
    VIDEO CARD AMD Radeon™ HD 6470M (64-bit) 512MB (Dual) edit
    INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE 8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
    DISPLAY 15.6" High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™
    SOUND OPTIONS HD Audio 2.0 Support SRS™ Premium Sound
    WIRELESS CARDS Intel® Centrion® Wireless-N 1030, 1x2 bgn + Bluetooth
    Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card
    Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat X Reader
    MICROSOFT SOLUTION Genuine Windows® Home Premium, 64-Bit, English
    PROCESSOR 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5-2410M processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz

Medium to high with shadow effects turned down. In large raids you may need to turn down spell details. Outside of that you should be fine.

The processor is good for a mobile cpu, however the GFX card is kind of weak. The 6000 series are less powerful than their predecessors already and 64xx is the lowest end of the 6 series, so I reckon it would be below the performance of even a 54xx. I think you could run medium settings at most, high would probably kill your framerates.

Just as a quick question though, why a laptop? For the same price you could an awesome desktop, so unless you really need the portability for other stuff or you're never in the same place at different times, don't give into the hype of everyone going mobile, because it just costs a ton more money to get a decent laptop for gaming and they die quicker as well.

If you really need it to be a laptop, then a slightly faster gfx card like a 66xxM (I've seen these in at least a few laptops) wouldn't go amiss and should let you run at better settings.
    Last edited by Amarinth; 06-02-2011 at 02:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amarinth View Post
    The processor is good for a mobile cpu, however the GFX card is kind of weak. The 6000 series are less powerful than their predecessors already and 64xx is the lowest end of the 6 series, so I reckon it would be below the performance of even a 54xx. I think you could run medium settings at most, high would probably kill your framerates.

Just as a quick question though, why a laptop? For the same price you could an awesome desktop, so unless you really need the portability for other stuff or you're never in the same place at different times, don't give into the hype of everyone going mobile, because it just costs a ton more money to get a decent laptop for gaming and they die quicker as well.

If you really need it to be a laptop, then a slightly faster gfx card like a 66xxM (I've seen these in at least a few laptops) wouldn't go amiss and should let you run at better settings.
    6000-series weaker than the 5000-series? o.O

the non-gaming cards from 6000-series maybe ...but the gaming ones? nope sire u r gravely mistaken there

that aside i agree with amarinth : why go mobile ? sure laptops are in a hype atm BUT if it comes to performance and cost choosing a laptop is not to be recommended (unless u REALLY dont have a choice)
    Last edited by eiskalt1980; 06-02-2011 at 03:03 AM.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five? A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Phenom II X6 1100T @4 GHZ (CPU) - 4x2GB RipjawX F3-17000CL7D-4GBXHD@1600mhz 7-7-7 (RAM) - 120GB OCZ Agility 2 EX (SSD) - 1TB WD SATA3 (HDD) - 2xXFX 6970 /w 4GB (GFX) - GA-890FXA-UD5 (Mobo) - Coolermaster GX750 (PSU) - HAF 932 AMD Edition (Case) - win7 x64 professional

Quote Originally Posted by eiskalt1980 View Post
    6000-series weaker than the 5000-series? o.O

the non-gaming cards from 6000-series maybe ...but the gaming ones? nope sire u r gravely mistaken there
    Sorry, I should probably have specified that comment. What I meant is that the first cards from the 6xxx series definitely were underpowered compared to their equivalents of the 5xxx series. The 6850 is weaker than the 5850 and the 6870 is weaker than the 5870. I believe they actually designed them to be less powerful, but in return they improved the DX11 capabilities of those cards.

The 69xx cards are more powerful and I think excepted to that rule. I'm not sure about all the lower end cards, but judging from the specs of the 6470m and only 512mb DDR3 memory, I think it's probably less powerful than the 5 series equivalent, the 5470m. I just brought it up to point out that on the whole the 6xxx series wasn't actually that much of an improvement over the 5xxx series, so it may sound newer, but that can be very deceptive and not at all indicative of how good the card is.

For a gaming laptop the 6470m is definitely underpowered - it's only at the entry level, so I'd advise going for at least a medium level card, whcih in the 6 series seems to be 66xx and up.

Soulwalker

I need a laptop for school, as of right now, I just can not have a desktop. Do you guys have any recommendations for a computer from Dell? Thanks. Is this a good card? 1024MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT525M? I was thinking about this computer also XPS 15

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by radus View Post
    I need a laptop for school, as of right now, I just can not have a desktop. Do you guys have any recommendations for a computer from Dell? Thanks. Is this a good card? 1024MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT525M? I was thinking about this computer also XPS 15
    At first glance, that card sounds worser than the first one you linked as its 1 generation behind. Do you also mean getting the laptop from Dell or can you use some other websites?

Quote Originally Posted by radus View Post
    If you're thinking of Dell, why not an Alienware m14x? The GPU is good enough for most games and the processor is, too.

An important factor, too, is price, which you didn't list any so it's hard to make recommendations without a ceiling...

Soulwalker

Ya sorry about that. I want to keep it under 1k but I guess I could go over. I was just looking at the alien ware M11x. Lol I was just about to post specs to see what you guys think.

PROCESSOR & GRAPHICS CARD Intel® Core™ i5 2537M 1.4GHz(2.3GHz w/Turbo Boost, 3MB Cache) with 1GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
    MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz edit
    HARD DRIVE 320GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s edit
    SOUND OPTIONS Internal High-Definition Surround Sound Audio (5.1) edit
    WIRELESS CARDS Intel® Centrion® Wireless-N 1000 a/g/n 1x2 edit
    MOBILE CONNECTIVITY None edit
    WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1 Year Basic Plan

What needs to improve?

Careful with the m11x. Not that it's a bad machine but the screen is TINY. Even a 13" is tiny. Now maybe cuz my eyes aren't that great to begin with but I think a 14"-15" should be minimum if you want to game in any capacity. But if you're looking at under $1k, I'd go with whatever and you'll be fine with it as long as you don't expect much from it. Meaning, get pretty much any i5 laptop out there and run it at medium without shadows, ground clutter at 1, and prob turn down other things to keep things moving. The processor takes care most of the game, anyway, if you leave out AA and shadows...shadows really kill the FPS...

Soulwalker

Okay.thanks for all your help. In that case I think I will go with my first post. I am not looking for amazing looks. I just want is to be good with no lag. Not great. I will do what you say with the graphics settings and see what I can get. Thanks for every thing.

Champion of Telara

No, on both the setups you linked.

Reason? Both have terrible cards on them..Both the 6470 and the 540 ARE NOT cards for games, especially on a terribly coded game as Rift, not matter what someone tells you, you do not want those cards for any reason at all.

Simple as that, yes they can play games to some setting buts thats the thing, they play it on that setting and have problems on anything higher. at some points you will find yourself lowering stuff to find exactly where "it doesnt lag during the raid/cluster".

Small advice? Desktop, for the amount of money you are saying "1k or a bit over 1k" you can get something decent to awesome for any game for the next 2 years.

If you are really getting a laptop then..Googgle "Tweaks to improve performance in Rift", will probably help you a lot.
    Last edited by potis; 06-03-2011 at 01:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread