+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need computer tech data help please :)

Soulwalker

Question Need computer tech data help please :)

Im thinking of buying a new laptop and have been looking at this one in particular but i need to know if the spec is ok to run Rift.Can anyone give me information as to whether it will be good enough ?

Hard drive Size:320GB
    Hard Drive Type 2.5"SATA5400rpm with 8MB Cache
    Memory Size 3GB
    Processor intel Pentium dual core
    processor Speed 2.3 GHz
    Graphics Chipset ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330(512MB)graphics card
    Graphics type Shared
    Thanks in advance for the help

My first guess is that the specs you list are a bit low to run Rift at any sort of "playably fun" level. You might want to check out the following thread and see if the information in it gives you any ideas for a laptop.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-Advice-Needed

At a minimum, I would suggest looking for a graphics card that is a bit stronger. For ATI, you'll want to look at the hundred's place. Anything less than 500 isn't really a strong gaming card. So you'd want to look for a 4500 or higher card, if possible. (correspondingly, if it's a 5000 series you'd want to go for 5500 or better)

Also, a dual core is getting old now, and will probably be a bigger weakness going forward. If possible, you should look for a better processor that's a bit more future-proof.

Telaran

It's very low-end and outdated as of 2011 imo. You should do fine with low quality renderer checked and most other settings on low though.

Are you not able to get a PC instead? I could draw you up a list which is tons tons better under a budget.

Soulwalker

Thanks for the info

Soulwalker

im female and have no clue as to how to build a desk top lol,and i use a laptop as im disabled so its much easier for me

Rift Chaser

It will run it and I got away with running it on a much worse laptop last week when the power supply in my PC gave up the ghost. It wasn't pretty and running around town was a slideshow tho.

Yes, rift will run.
    No, it won't be pretty.
    Town, will be laggy.

Your biggest problem will be the CPU. The Gfx will do ok on the Smooth provided you don't turn your gfx right up (it will hit problems in Raids when the Particles fill up a lot of your screen). The Radeon 4330 is better than the Intel X4500 listed as minumum specs so it will get the job done at any rate.

Personally I'd be looking at something with at least an i3 processor to be perfectly honest because clock speed isn't everything in a CPU. Newer technology at the same clock speed is better generally speaking (within the same brand). For example, I'm running Rift on a bit of a dinosaur, a Pentium D 3.6ghz. Newer 3.2 ghz CPU's leave mine in the dust (ok, it's dionsaur-ness is approaching legendary ). The Pentiums are basicly old technology still produced to make laptops cheaper. I could get technical about the limitations but it basicly comes down to:

On a budget it does the job but better would be nicer. An i3 with a Radeon 4330 or Nvidia Geforce Go 7200 for basic performanc would be better (but fo course at a higher price).
    Last edited by Greyhald; 06-01-2011 at 04:10 AM.
    -All views portrayed in this post are opinions and as such should be taken with a grain of salt.
    -Posts may be blunt to the point of spherical and call a spade a spade when deemed appropriate.
    -Any percieved insults are the sole property of the disgruntled reader.
    -There will be no exchanges, refunds or retractions except when requested by a Smurf. All requests must be lodged at our Head Office in Gargamel's workshop. Please form an orderly queue in the cages provided.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Trianas View Post
    Thanks for the info
    So out of curiousity, any chance if you might be considering getting a PC instead or are your eyes still set on a laptop?

Soulwalker

My first guess is that the specs you list are a bit low to run Rift at any sort of "playably fun" level. You might want to check out the following thread and see if the information in it gives you any ideas for a laptop.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-Advice-Needed

just looked at that thread and wow at the laptop the guy/gal linked,wish i could get that in the UK i would have bought it already haha.

Anyone know of any great sites where i can get a lpatop with the spec i need?

Soulwalker

Dreks, i need a laptop as its much much easier for me to use.

Soulwalker

the graphics card in the laptop im currently using is Nvidia geforce8400m GS ,laggy as hell if a lot of ppl are in a raid group kicking the crap out of a rift though haha

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Trianas View Post
    Dreks, i need a laptop as its much much easier for me to use.
    How much are you willing to spend and where are you from? I'm looking at newegg and was hoping I'm looking at this right.

Soulwalker

Well the laptop i was looking at was priced at 359.00 which i thought was great im in UK but i will go up to 400 for a decent laptop thats gonna last me a while

Overclockers for the UK are pretty good.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/produc...hp?groupid=959

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=LT-157-AC - this may be slightly better in terms of performance with the extra RAM but i suspect that unless youre willing to pay a bit more its all much of a muchness. Another option is to maybe go for a refurbished laptop.
    I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
    R50 Azama - Mage L60 R 13 Optional - Rogue L60 Sardonic - Cleric L50 Snugglepants - Warrior L50 @ Zaviel

Telaran

This one looks really good:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/268391...edium=products

It's got a sandy bridge processor, which belongs to the family of intel's newest CPUs in a mobile factor. It also has 4GB of RAM which is a nice icing on the cake and of course, LED backlighting for the monitor.

Soulwalker

Dreks isnt that one got integrated graphics? i was always told to go for dedicated graphics for gaming as integrated can slow everything down? bah what do i know lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast