+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Graphics card question

Soulwalker

Default Graphics card question

This isn't really a "support" issue, but can't seem to get my question answered.

I just bought a new PC. It came with the standard intel video. I bought a radeon HD 5770 that has 2 six pin connectors to go in the power supply. The required watts for the power supply is 450. My power supply is 460 watts. I meet and exceed all the other requirements.

Should I upgrade my power supply before attempting to install and use this? I really don't want to fry my motherboard. I have been told I would be ok and I have been told to get more watts (by who I bought it from, of course they want me to upgrade).

Any advice is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Depending on your other hardware and the brand of your current power supply, you'd probably be ok with the 460. You will want to make sure that you're not over-taxing the power supply by attaching both of the video card power cables to the same PSU rail, if possible. Of course, if the PSU has dedicated power connectors for a video card, that's even better.

Post the specs of your system, and people can give you a better idea of if you need to upgrade, but you may not have to. Not unless you're PC is filled with hard drives and other peripherals that are taking up all the power your PSU can provide.
    Last edited by MadHouse; 05-30-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Soulwalker

Here is the PC I purchased:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+S...&skuId=2247057

What you see there is what I have, nothing more, no more components/upgrades.

And thanks...
    Last edited by Subilac; 05-30-2011 at 07:08 PM.

+ Reply to Thread