+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1.2 hotfix 5/18/11 CRASHING ON LOAD SCREENS

Soulwalker

Exclamation 1.2 hotfix 5/18/11 CRASHING ON LOAD SCREENS

immediately after patching the new hotfix patch, i have been experiencing a full application crash when i reach the initial loading screen. usually at 19% i was able to get passed this loading screen to the character select, but again it would crash when trying to load the game world.

i could eventually get in, after no less than 20 failed attempts, and as many reports sent. once in the game world, all seems fine, though i never reached another loading screen(dungeon, teleport etc)

not sure exactly what is bugging but its not easy to log thats for sure...

anyone else experiecing or offer solution?

I purchased Rift yesterday and was happy with my purchase, the game ran very smoothly. It didn't crash a single time.

But this patch broke the game. I had the exact same problem, it usually crashed at 19%. And after 10 tries I finally got in, but when I logged on, the in game music that I love emitted a high pitched static noise that was very annoying. So I decided to just restart the game.

Now i'm currently attempting to log in with no success, it either crashes at 9% or 19% on the first loading screen.

Soulwalker

FIX UPDATE
    after thinking agout possible factors, i remembered that when i first installed the game it told me my video drivers might not be up to date. i have been playing fine with no crashes so never thought much of it.

anyway, updated video drivers... FIXED.. must of been a conflict somewhere after the patch. so far anyway. (i believe simply reinstalling either the video drivers or the game would of offered the same fix, in this case updating them killed 2 birds - 1 stone

also, regarding the sound issue you had. i didnt experience any sound issues but for me anyway, it may all be releated as the update i did also installed the nvidia HD sound drivers so it could all be related.

for reference if anyone else has issues my relevent system info.

intel i7 2.93
    nvidia 460GT (old drivers 258.96, fixed drivers 270.61)
    8g DDR3 RAM
    windows 7 (rating 7.4)

CHEERS

Soulwalker

NO ITS NOT FIXED

back in same boat again!

garh, i spoke to soon i guess..

SOME HELP would be greatly apprciiated QQ

It's not our systems, it's the hotfixes they release. So I doubt any members will know of any way to fix this, we will just have to tough it out and wait for yet another update to fix their last broken update, which will probably still be broken.

Soulwalker

I was having the exact same problem after the hotfix.

I was also having a problem with one of the sounds in Sanctum (I think it was the bit of music that plays occasionally). Every few minutes there would be an obnoxious noise twice as loud as the other sounds lasting for about 10 seconds.

I ran a recover from the patcher and it re-downloaded one of the files (audio_3.pak) which was clearly the cause of the bad sound (as it longer happens) and it also seems to have fixed the startup crash. I've just quit and reloaded the game 5 times to test and haven't had a crash.

So if you haven't already, try using recover and see if it fixes your crashing. Maybe the hotfix corrupted the file somehow.

Soulwalker

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Emmental View Post
    I was having the exact same problem after the hotfix.

I was also having a problem with one of the sounds in Sanctum (I think it was the bit of music that plays occasionally). Every few minutes there would be an obnoxious noise twice as loud as the other sounds lasting for about 10 seconds.

I ran a recover from the patcher and it re-downloaded one of the files (audio_3.pak) which was clearly the cause of the bad sound (as it longer happens) and it also seems to have fixed the startup crash. I've just quit and reloaded the game 5 times to test and haven't had a crash.

So if you haven't already, try using recover and see if it fixes your crashing. Maybe the hotfix corrupted the file somehow.

same exact problem aswell regarding the sound. seems the file is corrupted or something.

UPDATE> i deleted the audio_3.pak file and did a recovery. it seems to have done the trick aswell.

heres hoping anyway

GREAT FIND. unless i post again all is working well and this has fixed it for me too

Default Same Issue

I am having the same issue. I posted in an earlier thread.

FIX THIS!!

I want to play this weekend!

+ Reply to Thread