+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bootcamp performance

Soulwalker

Default Bootcamp performance

I'm currently running RIFT over bootcamp on my iMac. The game runs OK but I have to lower a bunch of the settings as well turn off some of the more technical options in order to see a consistant frame rate. I feel as though I should be able to run the game better so I'm hoping you guys could help me out.

Here are the specs of my iMac:

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac11,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4850
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB

I am running it on Windows XP home edition 32bit

Rich Aemry

3 things. Bootcamp emulates BIOS calls, so you'll be a tad slower than identical PC hardware. You also need to keep in mind that 4850 isn't really a 4850. You have a Mobility 4850 b/c Apple can't make such a gorgeous All-in-one machine with a desktop GPU. Last you only have 512 VRAM which isn't enough for that gorgeous uber-high res screen.

Your performance is about what you should expect from those parts at the clocks they ship at in bootcamp. I hate to tell you that, but it's true.
    Last edited by Rich Aemry; 05-15-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Soulwalker

I rarely play PC games at all so it's not a huge issue really. I was just curious as to why my specs seem as though they should be able to run the game a little better. This is the only game I've had to significantly lower the settings for. In any case, I was also thinking of putting together a PC strictly for gaming. I'm not sure how much something like that might end up costing though so I wanted to avoid it, especially because all my work is done on my MAC.

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by bitemarks View Post
    I rarely play PC games at all so it's not a huge issue really. I was just curious as to why my specs seem as though they should be able to run the game a little better. This is the only game I've had to significantly lower the settings for. In any case, I was also thinking of putting together a PC strictly for gaming. I'm not sure how much something like that might end up costing though so I wanted to avoid it, especially because all my work is done on my MAC.

Are you using a Mac specific app? TBH even Adobe and ProTools are going to be faster on a good workstation than a MacPro these days. Ever since Apple switched to Intel, thier refusal to allow multiple GPUs and dedicated SPUs, or even really decent single GPUs has slowed them down for artists.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aemry View Post
    Are you using a Mac specific app? TBH even Adobe and ProTools are going to be faster on a good workstation than a MacPro these days. Ever since Apple switched to Intel, thier refusal to allow multiple GPUs and dedicated SPUs, or even really decent single GPUs has slowed them down for artists.
    I use the MAC mainly for design work. I work at a design agency as well where I use a PC. I just prefer the MAC because it's a lot easier to work with. It's got better font management systems, easier multitasking and simple and clean OS. I also find that they crash a lot less. My PC at work with similar specs crashes at least once on a weekly basis and I've never had that problem at home. The huge LED display is amazing as well which would cost as much as a PC on it's own if I had to buy it separately. It's got more power than I need so working with any of the adobe software is smooth.

I'm not an Apple loyalist or anything. I understand the differences and the benefits of both. It's just a preference. MAC's are notoriously crap for gaming on so I'm not at all surprised I can only run Rift on medium settings but it's not a big deal.

Rich Aemry

I use the MAC mainly for design work. I work at a design agency as well where I use a PC. I just prefer the MAC because it's a lot easier to work with. It's got better font management systems, easier multitasking and simple and clean OS. I also find that they crash a lot less. My PC at work with similar specs crashes at least once on a weekly basis and I've never had that problem at home. The huge LED display is amazing as well which would cost as much as a PC on it's own if I had to buy it separately. It's got more power than I need so working with any of the adobe software is smooth.

I'm not an Apple loyalist or anything. I understand the differences and the benefits of both. It's just a preference. MAC's are notoriously crap for gaming on so I'm not at all surprised I can only run Rift on medium settings but it's not a big deal.
    I get the interface argument. Windows has a piss poor one.

Fonts have made strides in recent years, and multi-tasking is better in Windows now so long as the app does it right (That's a large if though.) You'll find that monitors have come down in price a lot in the past 18 months, but I like the screen on an iMac a lot.

If your work PC is crashing your IT guy at work sucks, but most IT guys suck in my experience, so I get that too.

If it fits your needs then I see no reason to switch for most things, you will definitely prefer gaming on a machine you build yourself if you are so inclined, and if you toy around with an Intel MOBO and hackintosh builds you may find you like that too.

If you're okay with medium settings, then I'd just keep the current machine, if you have to have better graphics then build. It's pretty damn fun, and honestly that's the main reason my PC is so absurd, I just have to be building things. It's an engineer thing, you artists have to create we engineers have to build.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aemry View Post
    I get the interface argument. Windows has a piss poor one.

Fonts have made strides in recent years, and multi-tasking is better in Windows now so long as the app does it right (That's a large if though.) You'll find that monitors have come down in price a lot in the past 18 months, but I like the screen on an iMac a lot.

If your work PC is crashing your IT guy at work sucks, but most IT guys suck in my experience, so I get that too.

If it fits your needs then I see no reason to switch for most things, you will definitely prefer gaming on a machine you build yourself if you are so inclined, and if you toy around with an Intel MOBO and hackintosh builds you may find you like that too.

If you're okay with medium settings, then I'd just keep the current machine, if you have to have better graphics then build. It's pretty damn fun, and honestly that's the main reason my PC is so absurd, I just have to be building things. It's an engineer thing, you artists have to create we engineers have to build.
    I definitely get it. Like I said, I'm not an apple loyalist and I see the benefits of both for sure. I actually never had a problem with running the game on medium settings until I played it at my buddy's house. He just got himself a pricey new PC and he's got it set to ultra with the supersampling enabled. Dear lord it's gorgeous. It was only then that my setup seemed inadequate lol.

Rich Aemry

I definitely get it. Like I said, I'm not an apple loyalist and I see the benefits of both for sure. I actually never had a problem with running the game on medium settings until I played it at my buddy's house. He just got himself a pricey new PC and he's got it set to ultra with the supersampling enabled. Dear lord it's gorgeous. It was only then that my setup seemed inadequate lol.
    Apple finally stepped up to the plate to play ball with the newest iMacs. A 2600 and a 6970m makes that machine better for gaming than the current MacPros. If you want to stay Apple check that out.

+ Reply to Thread