+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which component of my computer is the weakest link for playing Rift?

Rift Disciple

Thumbs up Which component of my computer is the weakest link for playing Rift?

Windows XP Home
    CORSAIR XMS2 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 *but only 3.25GB is recognized by XP : /
    EVGA GeForce GTS 250 HDMI 1GB DDR3
    Thermaltake 700W Power Supply
    GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane 2.5GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor
    Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s 500-GB Hard Drive
    On board Sound

I do not have a lot to spend, but I want to upgrade 1 component, which would you upgrade first? Which would give best performance upgrade - bang for buck?

I do a lot of Warfronts and ever since this latest patch the graphics / frame rate is poor. So here I am.
    I am thinking a better processor might be the best choice, and I think I can get a decent deal on a solid processor these days.

Any help, advice, or tips is appreciated - THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

grab windows 7 pro 64bit

then I would go processor

then ram
    "Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Soulwalker

1) OS
    2) CPU

Edit: I was beat to the punch, but concur with above post.
    Last edited by Xelricai; 05-12-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Rift Disciple

You guys think Windows 7 will make a greater performance increase than a beefy processor?

I did beta test Windows 7 for about 6 months and it was sweet, but I didnt notice that great of a performance increase within games.

And I am not trying to sound ungrateful for your help, I just want to be sure you are not just in love with Windows 7 (I know its sweet lol) and that you are thinking about gaming performance.

THANKS for your comments

Your OS is bottle necking your Ram, Though upgrading to windows 7 will pretty much take up all that ram you gained. I'd say Processor, OS, Memory.

PvP against me is alot like sex with me. Its quick, unexpected and ends with only me satisfied.

I have XP, and Rift works flawless for me. I say upgrade your processor.
    Officially owned by Alsbeth the Discordant.

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=815027&dateline=13020  88690

Elitists and game programmers think alike; The first thinks the game is too easy, the other nerfs the crap out of them.

Change your OS first, then get a better CPU and more ram. Your OS limits the amount of ram you can use, a 32 bit system does that. And XP blows.

Rift Disciple

Is Rift more processor or RAM dependent ?

Thanks again for all the replies

It's quite CPU dependent. I've got 8GB and never see it go over ~2.5 in usage (for Rift)

You have a nice motherboard that will support AMD's latest processors. I'd probably go for a
    Phenom II X4 965 For $140 you won't even recognize your PC anymore. Leaps and bounds better.

Then upgrade your OS
    Then your graphics card. The 250 is a decent card, I wouldn't upgrade to anything under a GTX470 (Sweet spot would be 6950 or GTX560, based on your brand preference).

I agree, CPU first, then RAM, then OS.

Although you will notice your biggest increase upgrading your CPU, upgrading your RAM you won't notice a difference until you upgrade your OS - after that you will notice it.

Graphics card could also be upgraded, but I wouldn't bother with that unless you upgraded your RAM and OS.
    If you want to get healed in warfronts, follow the Covenant of Healing:
    1. Stay near your team. Healing spells have a 35m range and you're not the only one who needs healing.
    2. Stay in sight.
    3. Protect your healers.
    4. Be respectful. Telling people they suck will not make them better players or want to help you more.

Era
    Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Travatron View Post
    It's quite CPU dependent. I've got 8GB and never see it go over ~2.5 in usage (for Rift)

You have a nice motherboard that will support AMD's latest processors. I'd probably go for a
    Phenom II X4 965 For $140 you won't even recognize your PC anymore. Leaps and bounds better.

Then upgrade your OS
    Then your graphics card. The 250 is a decent card, I wouldn't upgrade to anything under a GTX470 (Sweet spot would be 6950 or GTX560, based on your brand preference).
    The 460 works fine too. I have that and an i5 and I can run everything on Ultra even during invasion events. It's pretty sweet.

When searching for a processor, beware of the socket type since you'll need a new motherboard if the sockets don't match.

As for Windows...the 3.2 GB limit is a 32-bit limitation. To use the rest you need an x64 version of Windows (I do not advise XP 64-bit, use 7).
    Era - Defiant - Byriel
    Former Owner of RiftLift

Quote Originally Posted by Era View Post
    The 460 works fine too. I have that and an i5 and I can run everything on Ultra even during invasion events. It's pretty sweet.

When searching for a processor, beware of the socket type since you'll need a new motherboard if the sockets don't match.
    I just meant that he won't see a big difference if he upgraded to, say a 460 and might feel it was a waste of money. Like buying a 2005 Jeep when you own a 1999 already. Sure, it's better and there's some nice additional features, but not really worth the upgrade cost. May as well spend a touch more and get the fresh-off a lease 2010 for a great price!

Complicated analogy is complicated.

His motherboard is good to go, but he might want to be sure to upgrade the BIOS before switching CPUs
    http://www.gigabyte.us/products/prod...px?pid=3447#ov

Rift Disciple

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Travatron View Post

Then upgrade your OS

I was looking at that exact page about 10 minutes ago! That processor looks pretty nice for the $, and its about as much as I can spend right now. Although I did see the Phenom II X6 1090T -6 core which is only $25 more till the 17th.

I wish one of those was closer to $100 though, im pretty broke. But maybe I can make do.

THANKS so much for the help, I think the consensus is CPU then Windows 7 64.

Hope you all are enjoying Rift, as I am!

Plane Walker

In games you don't notice a performance difference between 3, 6, or 12 GB of RAM. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...de,2264-3.html. Windows XP especially being as memory conservative as it is should be working well with Rift at 3.2 GB. Windows 7 has more memory intensive features, people like the bells and whistles and the combination of lower cost for higher end PC components has allowed for Windows 7 to take advantage of the performance increase.

You shouldn't notice any difference in gaming between Windows XP and Windows 7. The CPU would be the best part to upgrade, you'd notice a significant difference with just a $60 Athlon II X2 250.

Rift Chaser

i would have to look at your system as a whole....

your memory bandwidth is lacking.....

right now i'm running a 3.1ghz phenom x2 550black edition... i have 8 gig of ddr2 memory and i just got a ati hd6850 video card...

i upgraded from a 4850 to the 6850 and i got a very nice gain...

my next upgrade before battlefield 3 comes out will be a new crossfire enabled motherboard, it will be capable of the ddr3 ram... 2 or more slots will be pcie x16

i'm not sure of your current motherboard, but if your running the ddr2 memory its also limiting you... tells me its an older chipset or your not running the fastest memory your board will handle..

you wont see much gain going to win7 with just 4 gig of memory, if you had 8 gig or more memory you will see a much bigger difference going to win7..... with just 4 gig, you will actually see a decline in performance.. i tried this prior to going to win7, so i know..
    Last edited by brucer; 05-12-2011 at 02:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast