+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trouble starting up initial game client

Soulwalker

Default Trouble starting up initial game client

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I've recently purchased the collectors edition of rift and had finished downloading the client and patches. Everything had gone smoothly so far... However, every time I log in and press play, the loader closes, but the client never comes up. I'm sorry if there was another topic about this that I missed, but I was wondering if any of you could help me out, I don't know what else to do.

Thanks again!

Soulwalker

UPDATE: I have since ran the Recover option and now, whenever I press play, an error message comes up saying that data files are corrupted, then suggests I use the recover option. Since then, I've ran recover three times, and ended up downloading all 8.25 gigs of the patch each time, only to get the same responce. I will be uninstalling the game completely and re-installing to see if that helps, but if there is something else I can do any help would be appreciated!

It may or may not help with these issues, but when you install/re-install Rift, you should avoid putting it in the Program Files folder. That's a system folder and installing Rift there can/could/might cause you to have a bunch of special (ie annoying as heck) issues. It would be better to install Rift somewhere/anywhere else.

Soulwalker

Ok, thank you for the tip! I've since uninstalled/reinstalled (before I installed it into Program Files(x86) and this last time I have as well) and have faced the same problem after re-installing it. I'll try it again, this time avoiding program files

Soulwalker

Still did nothing. I'm a pretty patient guy, but this is really starting to frustrate me. It would be very dissapointing if I had spent 60$ on a game that won't even start. What's even more frustrating is there doesn't seem to be any other cases like this on the forums. I'm still really looking forward to playing this game, I just don't know how to get it to start running.
    Last edited by Contraband860; 05-07-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Check your main Rift folder for the Rift.log file or a possible error log file. They may point to a problem, such as not being able to reach a server or something.

Soulwalker

I don't know if this is what you meant, but I took a look in some of the patch logs I've found and it seems that at the end there are a few entries that look like this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Sun May 8 02:57:32 2011] http://update2.triongames.com/ch1-li...geometry_1.pak
    [Sun May 8 02:57:32 2011] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Sun May 8 02:57:32 2011] Finishing request
    [Sun May 8 02:57:32 2011] Perform failed with code 42
    [Sun May 8 02:57:32 2011] Request Failed http://update2.triongames.com/ch1-li...geometry_1.pak

And then at the very end something that looks like this:

http://update2.triongames.com/ch1-li...nch/french.pak
    [Sun May 8 02:57:32 2011] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Sun May 8 02:57:32 2011] Perform failed with code 42
    [Sun May 8 02:57:32 2011] Request Failed http://update2.triongames.com/ch1-li...nch/french.pak
    [Sun May 8 02:57:32 2011] Downloading files failed. Last response code: 0

I apologize if this information is useless, but it seemed somewhat significant to me when words like "Failed with code 42" and "Downloading Files failed" pop up

+ Reply to Thread