+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rift Patcher critically hits your PC for 10,000 damage

Default Rift Patcher critically hits your PC for 10,000 damage

So there was this issue going around that after the patch, People were soft locking to a black screen when running Rift for a short period of time and were only able to restart by manually turning off their computer and rebooting from there. Well, this happened to me.

Heres what also happened to me. I turn off the computer, try again several more times and the third time I do a file restore, go to the forums to find out whats wrong and find my answer. Unfortunately after making my request I got the brilliant idea to uninstall Rift and do a clean install. MY bad. So I find out about this crash issue people are having and find out a potential solution. A little bit pissed but accepting I'll have to reinstall everything, I begin running the patcher WITHOUT adjusting 3D settings.

Call me a novice, but I couldn't imagine for a second that running the patcher by itself would cause the crash. BUT IT DID. About 5 minutes in to downloading, my computer crashes, only this time when i try to reboot it wont start. MY CASE FANS ARENT TURNING (wtf?). Since the crash was apparently a graphics related issue I tried swapping a video card, swapping the slots on my MOBO where my video card is placed, anything I could manually do to adjust the video card.

So now I turn on my pc, everything is black, only the cpu and back fans spin, and it seems like the MOBO isn't sending out/receiving the signals it needs to actually boot windows. Now, while my computer was 3 years old, it was by no means in bad condition, I take good care of my PC (I built it myself) and it's run with minimal issues on everything I ran on it. Clean it regularly, etc. This was my first crash ever on my favorite toy. Also it's last.

8 hours spent last night calling up more tech savvy friends than myself, having them look at it, desperately swapping components to hopefully at least get my case fans working (cant believed this crash killed the wiring to my case fans, is that even ****ing possible?). Other buddies ran Rift, had a similar crashing issue, didn't have this problem.

So grats Trion. Whether or not my computer was on its way out (which I'd never had any previous indications of) it was working fine, until this patch. You critically hit my computer, and it was super effective.
    Last edited by Magnos; 05-05-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Well I think that post is a bit over the top.

However last night after the patch I was running DD and I kept getting spots of just AWFUL framerate where everything would lag so bad for me. Then finally I got blackscreen and it came up saying that Rift Driver had crashed. I error reported it and restarted the game. It ran okay, but I still got pockets of super lag.

After DD finished I decided to call it a night.

you should get a power supply tester to test the 12V rail and 5V rail. I bet it is broken and could have been coincidence. what you say happened is pretty impossible.

1 thing you should try is to unplug all your fans except for your CPU heatsinks fan. do you have onboard graphics? try to use a low power graphics card. measure the power supply is the best way to check power but you may get the system operational. unplug all extra fans. unplug un-needed usb devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Anomolis View Post
    1 thing you should try is to unplug all your fans except for your CPU heatsinks fan. do you have onboard graphics? try to use a low power graphics card. measure the power supply is the best way to check power but you may get the system operational. unplug all extra fans. unplug un-needed usb devices.
    I did unplug all the fans excluding the CPU. I really doubt the fan issue is necessarily related, my guess is they shorted out from the crash on their own due to old age or something. What concerns me is how the computer isn't booting. All the lights are on, but it looks like nobody is home. I don't have any ports I can use to hook up my monitor to the computer outside of the graphics card unfortunately.

When I get home I'll try unplugging all of the usb devices and seeing about the power supply though. It's not like the PC isn't getting power though, everything seems to be running, it's just not booting.

+ Reply to Thread