+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Computer Crash randomly while playing Rift?

Default Computer Crash randomly while playing Rift?

Well while I'm playing Rift my computer will go on 'Power Save Mode' and I can't get the monitor to turn back on, I have to completely turn off my computer and restart it. I also play World of Warcraft and Age of Conan and this doesn't happen while I'm playing both those. It doesn't happen at the same time each time, sometimes I'll be able to play for an hour or two and it will go into power save mode, sometimes its within an hour. I checked my settings and my computer power save settings are off so its not that. I lowered my video settings ingame and it still happens. In game I get 50ms and between 80 and 90 for FPS. Any ideas?

Do some searches on the forum and you'll find basically 3 answers that probably fit your situation, and you can argue for or against them, as you see fit.

1) Thermal problem. Your CPU and/or GPU or some component thereof are overheating and causing the shutdown.
    2) Insufficient or faulty UPS. When Rift makes your CPU and GPU work, your power supply isn't able to supply all the power your computer needs, so it shuts down.
    3) There's a bug in Rift that is killing your video driver. You and all the hundreds or thousands of other folks experiencing this behaviour will have to wait for Trion to fix it.

That, in a nutshell, is most likely what's going on with your crashes/shutdowns. The fixes are fairly obvious, depending on what problem you want to focus on. And, as I said, if you do a search, you'll find lots of suggestions for fixes. Good luck.

Thanks Madhouse, I've checked the first 2 things you said and I don't think thats the problem so I'll just have to wait for a patch.

+ Reply to Thread