Default HELP under 10fps min settings alienware

alienware m15x
    1yr old
    ram - 3gig
    nvidia geforce 240m - 1gig videocard
    core i3 M330@2.13GHz 2.13GHz
    win7 64bit sp1
    directx 11

rift beta was perfectly smooth and max settings.
    the real game i GET 3-12 FPS!!!!!!!!!
    on all min settings. low quality rendering on also
    aa off shadows off, etc.
    EVERYTHING MIN LOWEST POSSIBLE

things ive done:
    updated windows
    updated drivers
    defrag
    virus scan
    registry cleaner
    game booster
    un-installed rift, re-installed rift
    played in window mode, fullscreen, winfullscreen
    cpu stays around 70% ram at about 50% in game
    do i need to overclock cpu? or do i need more Ram? or just a better graphics card?(tho its a GAMING computer...) or is this a problem a lot of ppl on good gaming computers r having.. like poor game programming?

i dont get it... i play WoW, Fallout 3, and portal on max settings. i know its a different graphics engine but wtf. my gf plays on a pentium 4 win xp, 1g ram, 512 video card, and she gets 35fps...graphics look horrible but still.... HER CPU WOULD BARELY RUN WoW.

H E L P !!!!

Well comparing games isnt such a good comparison different engines, etc.

Now, is this the "game booster" you used?

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

If so, let me point out a few things...

It works by updating hardware drivers, downloading essential gaming tools, tweaking system settings for gaming, defragmenting game directories, temporarily shutting down background processes, cleaning RAM, and intensifying processor performance.
    So it tries to update drivers, downloads some unknown tools (likely adware at best spyware at worst) shuts down processes, clears ram, and screws with the cpu somehow?

im donwloading it now to scan it, hope you are ready to reformat.

P.S. your gaming on a laptop

Telaran

What resolution are you trying to run at? I would assume that your machine could at least run at min settings. My brother was playing it on a dell latitude laptop at release when he was home for break and it was running better than that (and it's definitely NOT a gaming computer). I am typing from a latitude (E6400) but never installed it (he has 1 rev newer with an i5 vs my C2D).

Soulwalker

yes thats the gamebooster. but..... im still only getting 15fps max, and thats after the booster. i never had it till a few hours ago cuz my fps were like 2-6. so i just downloaded it. im not using it now cuz there wasnt really a diff.

my resolution is my standard 1680x1050 default for my 22in. i tries lower res, in game, and it made it very blurry and still under 10fps
    Last edited by kaisi; 05-03-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Soulwalker

i went to college for computer electronic engineering, and i do virus removals for ppl on the side, so im not computer illiterate. i dont have things running that shouldnt be either. ive never been so puzzled. this laptop in made for gaming. its been superb since it came out last year and always lets me play all games on medium to max with 50-100 fps.... but 7fps on all zero min settings?.... something is very wrong

Soulwalker

Exact same computer and problem. However, for the first 7-10 days I got the game, it was running perfectly on ultra. Then it just crapped out. I don't get it. Although, I'm a dumbass when it comes to computers.

Soulwalker

yeah, same! it worked beautiful for the first few hours. i dont get it. if u find a fix, plzzzz tell me, kaisi330@gmail.com or reply here ill do same

Soulwalker

Same here man.Good computer,but bad fps,ran High detail fine a couple days ago, now i get 10-15 fps on low detail,guess its the game itself.
    Last edited by Frosbites; 05-03-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Soulwalker

The solution is actually really really simple and your prob going to slap yourself for it. Im 99% certain this is the problem.

The alienware M15x has a power saver/performance function. It cant run in performance mode if the power supply is not connected, and sometimes when taking the charge out it leaves it in power saver mode. On the M15x's touch panel, on the far right your will see a touch sensitive button that looks like a spedometer, push that, you see a spedometer gui symbol come up on the screen, its its bright performance mode is on if its dim then power saver is on. You can do this in game aswell but theres a longer delay between modes switching and sometimes you keep pressing without anything happening. But you will see once performance is on fps will be smooth.

So to recap
    1. make sure power supply is connected (performance mode will not run on battery!)
    2. Push the performance mode touch sensitive key

Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Suffa View Post
    The solution is actually really really simple and your prob going to slap yourself for it. Im 99% certain this is the problem.

The alienware M15x has a power saver/performance function. It cant run in performance mode if the power supply is not connected, and sometimes when taking the charge out it leaves it in power saver mode. On the M15x's touch panel, on the far right your will see a touch sensitive button that looks like a spedometer, push that, you see a spedometer gui symbol come up on the screen, its its bright performance mode is on if its dim then power saver is on. You can do this in game aswell but theres a longer delay between modes switching and sometimes you keep pressing without anything happening. But you will see once performance is on fps will be smooth.

So to recap
    1. make sure power supply is connected (performance mode will not run on battery!)
    2. Push the performance mode touch sensitive key

Done.
    LOL...

i went to college for computer electronic engineering
    Wouldn't you look silly if it was something so basic ........

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by ThatTomGuy View Post
    Well comparing games isnt such a good comparison different engines, etc.

Now, is this the "game booster" you used?

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

If so, let me point out a few things...

So it tries to update drivers, downloads some unknown tools (likely adware at best spyware at worst) shuts down processes, clears ram, and screws with the cpu somehow?

im donwloading it now to scan it, hope you are ready to reformat.
    If you did some actual research on it, it's being hosted on majorgeeks, and has been downloaded 5.5 million times there. I think it's safe.

Shield of Telara

I also have to say that the GT240M is so very far from a gaming GPU, even for a laptop, its not funny.

The i3-330M is craptacular on top of the lackluster GPU. Perhaps do some research on real gaming laptops before you claim to be playing on one.

Soulwalker

Default Solved

haha it wasnt the power being connected or not or the power plan etc...

IT WAS MY GPU/CPU RUNNING TOO HOT. I BOUGHT A FAN COOLING MAT, (a really really good one) problem solved. went from 6fps to 40. spread the word

+ Reply to Thread