+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unable to start Rift

Banned

Default Unable to start Rift

Unsure if anyone else has been getting this problem, but I applied today's patch roughly 20 minutes ago and tried to start rift, but it isn't launching. The launcher itself opens, and I'm able to login and press the play button, but all that happens is it sits there for about 5 seconds, and the launcher closes without the game itself starting up. I've tried restarting my computer a couple times with no success, and haven't tried reinstalling because redownloading the game would be a 12+ hour process due to me residing in a remote area with sub-par internet available. If anyone knows what's going on or knows of a solution other than redownloading the game, please inform me, and any assistance on this matter at all would be greatly appreciated.

A fix would be nice, also happening to me but I get the rift error 1012.
    Drogomungo 50 Mage on Deepwood.

Banned

Upon further research, I came across a possible solution on http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...highlight=2001 where it states "The patcher will not load Rift. After pressing "Play" the patcher closes and Rift does not launch. POSSIBLE FIX: Rollback DirectX to the Windows install disk state then reinstall the latest version of direct x"

However, I tried reinstalling the latest version, and everytime I try to run the installer, all I get is "installer-for-directx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Anyone have any ideas what to do about this one?

Soulwalker

I was also having the same problem. I even spoke with a very nice customer service rep on the phone this evening and she had no alternative but to do a fresh install after an hour of exhausting all other avenues.

My theory is that Microsoft recently "pushed" a new C+ run time routine via Windows update (at least for Win7 x64) which conflicted with the version that Rift installs with from the disc. I don't have the advanced technical knowledge to prove or disprove this but its the only varible that I could find that changed between the time my system was able to connect and when the launcher refused to link up with the game server.

An offical explantion from Trion when all the bug reports are reviewed would be appreciated.

Soulwalker

I got win 7 x64 Ultimate with all installed updates and i don† have any problems with Rift.You should looking for the problem in Your PC or in Your internet provider.The reasons of most problems in techthreads are causing by users themselfs, but not by Trions.
    Last edited by Kriegshund; 04-27-2011 at 09:37 PM.
    From Bloodiron

Soulwalker

Default Unable to patch

Yeah, the patcher is god awful...I usually have to reinstall the entire game (And since I downloaded when I purchased) it can sometimes take up to 3 hours to reinstall. I sent it in as support question today and here is what they said. Oh yeah, they said to contact them in seven days if it is not resolved.

n order to solve the problem I would like you to verify that you are using the default DNS server from their ISP.

1. Go to the Start Menu and choose Control Panel
    2. In the Control Panel, click "Network and Sharing Center"
    3. In the Network and Sharing Center, look at the left side of the window. You should see a list of tasks. Select "Change adapter settings"
    4. This step will slightly vary, however locate the network connection in this window that you're using. For a wired connection, look for "Local Area Connection". If you are using a wireless connection it should be something like "Wireless Network Connection.
    5. Right-click on the connection you're using and choose "Properties"
    6. In the window that pops up, click on "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then click the "Properties" button.
    7. In this window, click the radio button that says "Obtain an IP address automatically"

This will ensure that you connect to our patching servers using the nearest DNS Server and it will help your patching speed greatly.
    If this did not help please ensure that you are installing to your default C drive.

If you have any additional questions or concerns then please don't hesitate to let us know. Thank you for your continued support of Trion Worlds and for playing RIFT. Your reference number for this question is 110428-002115

Sincerely,

Jeremias G.
    Account & Technical Support
    Trion Worlds Inc.

Soulwalker

Well that sure doesn't fix the 1012 error.

Soulwalker

Default My problem too!

Yeah, the only thing that will fix is being able to connect to the internet in the first place and since you are posting here I assume you can do that...

I get error 2016, but the same things happen, I have not tried the Driect X re-installation or re-installing (re downloading fun fun... the game).

Took me about 2 hours to download since Steam's server maxed me out at 2mb/sec, even so I don't think a reinstall will fix it. I'm betting it's a patch issue and we will need another patch to fix it. And I hope they work fast, something like this should have been caught in testing.

GL Patcher Team we all love you!

God bless,
    Rak.

+ Reply to Thread