+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: General Steps For Low FPS Issues

RIFT Customer Support Representative The Admiral's Avatar

Default General Steps For Low FPS Issues

Hello Everyone,

There are a few things to consider when dealing with a lower than average framerate. I will list them here and hopefully you will be able to increase your overall performance.

1. Try to run the game on low settings\low quality renderer. If the game is still facing performance issues, then try updating your video card drivers, and DirectX.

2. If these issues persist try running the game without anti aliasing, vertical sync, shadows and ground clutter.

3. If you are on an ATI video card make sure ‘Anti-Aliasing’ and ‘Anisotropic Filtering’ are set to ‘Application Controlled’ in the Catalyst Control Center. Disabling “Morpological Filtering” in the Catalyst Control Center will usually result in improved framerates. Disabling “ATI Overdrive” may result in increased framerates in some configurations.

4. If you are on an NVidia graphics card then make sure “Power Management Mode” is set to “Prefer Maximum Performance” in the NVidia control panel. Ensure “Anti-Aliasing” and “Anisotropic Filtering” are set to”Application Controlled” in the NVidia Control Panel and “Transparency Anti-Aliasing” and “Ambient Occlusion” are set to”Off” in the NVidia Control Panel.

5. If none of these steps helped try performing a clean boot to ensure no background programs are causing the system to much strain, resulting in low game performance.

*Please Note* If you have any biometric software (Fingerprint readers) on your system take care not to disable it.

You can run this utility by following the steps below:

1. Press the Windows + R keys simultaneously.
    2. In the Run window that appears, type "msconfig" without the quotes and click OK.
    3. In the System Configuration window, click on the Startup tab.
    4. Click the Disable all button.
    5. Click on the Services tab.
    6. Click on the checkbox next to "Hide all Microsoft services", which will remove all of the Microsoft services from the Services list.
    7. Click on the Disable all button.
    8. Click OK.

You will then be prompted to restart the computer, which you need to do before proceeding.

If the game is still having performance issues you may also try disabling Flash and any program that may use flash as it may be using up enough system memory to cause a lower framerate.

These are just general steps to take when you are experiencing lower than average FPS.

Here are some more advanced things to try as well,

Go to your RIFT folder wherever you installed the game and find the rift.cfg file. Open this with a notepad and navigate to the “MainThreadCPU =”

Change the value after the “=” sign to “0″ which will allow RIFT the option to choose between the best available core (it switches between those available instead of being contained to one). If you altered the value properly than the final product should resemble the following:

“MainThreadCPU = 0”

Next we are going to be doing some more tweaking to the rift.cfg file,

Open the “Rift.cfg” file in the root directory of your Rift install and find the following line:

“VFXLimit = 750”

Change the default value to 10 and add the next line above it with the corresponding value:

“VfxCullDistance = 256”

The final product should resemble the following:

“VfxCullDistance = 256”
    “VFXLimit = 10”

After editing the values above find the “LightingComplexity” value and change it to the following:

“LightingComplexity = 10.000000”

Next change "AmbientOcclusion=True" to False.

At this point you can try running the game again, once the game has started up bring up your task manager using Ctrl+Alt+Delete and go into the processes tab. Right click on the Rift process and set the priority to High.

The Admiral.
    Last edited by CM Morgana; 09-30-2013 at 02:07 PM.

RELEASE THE ADMIRAL

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by The Admiral View Post
    Hello Everyone,

There are a few things to consider when dealing with a lower than average framerate. I will list them here and hopefully you will be able to increase your overall performance.

1. Try to run the game on low settings\low quality renderer. If the game is still facing performance issues, then try updating your video card drivers, and DirectX.

2. If these issues persist try running the game without anti aliasing, vertical sync, shadows and ground clutter.

3. If you are on an ATI video card make sure ‘Anti-Aliasing’ and ‘Anisotropic Filtering’ are set to ‘Application Controlled’ in the Catalyst Control Center. Disabling “Morpological Filtering” in the Catalyst Control Center will usually result in improved framerates. Disabling “ATI Overdrive” may result in increased framerates in some configurations.

4. If you are on an NVidia graphics card then make sure “Power Management Mode” is set to “Prefer Maximum Performance” in the NVidia control panel. Ensure “Anti-Aliasing” and “Anisotropic Filtering” are set to”Application Controlled” in the NVidia Control Panel and “Transparency Anti-Aliasing” and “Ambient Occlusion” are set to”Off” in the NVidia Control Panel.

5. If none of these steps helped try performing a clean boot to ensure no background programs are causing the system to much strain, resulting in low game performance.

*Please Note* If you have any biometric software (Fingerprint readers) on your system take care not to disable it.

You can run this utility by following the steps below:

1. Press the Windows + R keys simultaneously.
    2. In the Run window that appears, type "msconfig" without the quotes and click OK.
    3. In the System Configuration window, click on the Startup tab.
    4. Click the Disable all button.
    5. Click on the Services tab.
    6. Click on the checkbox next to "Hide all Microsoft services", which will remove all of the Microsoft services from the Services list.
    7. Click on the Disable all button.
    8. Click OK.

You will then be prompted to restart the computer, which you need to do before proceeding.

If the game is still having performance issues you may also try disabling Flash and any program that may use flash as it may be using up enough system memory to cause a lower framerate.

These are just general steps to take when you are experiencing lower than average FPS.

The Admiral.

HI Admiral,

Just wanted to say i like reading most of your posts as they are generally helpful. This one however i do not Totally Agree nor i Disagree with. These steps do depend on hardware specifications and performance of the computer, as you have lightly stated.

The part i do agree with is this will help anyone running with a moderate to low performance system, 5 years or older without any major upgrades like a Newer Video card and such. This "MIGHT" help.

The part i disagree upon is any newer computer Especially with Newer Video Cards like the GT200 series or newer from NVidia or the ATi/AMD Radeon 4000 Series or Newer will most likely have to run at higher settings to improve Performance. The draw back to these newer cards is they bog down when you cut their access to use RAW power back from them and it takes more data configuration for them to produce a lower quality image than it does to use its own unlocked resources to produce a better looking render. They were meant to be used in producing high quality images and renders.

sorry the words im trying to use are all at the tip of my tongue at the moment. I am not trying to flame on you, just expressing my point as it may actually do more harm by confusing some people as they might not remember things as simple as their original settings and what not... even though they might have not used Defaults in the video control Panels.

RIFT Customer Support Representative The Admiral's Avatar

Thank you for your feedback, I can appreciate your point of view. However this is merely meant as a guide to present new users to this forum who are looking for things to try.

Everyones individual setup will need it's own attention regarding their personal FPS issues but these steps are a good place to start.

The Admiral.

RELEASE THE ADMIRAL

Rich Aemry

Admiral, I like most people I interact with on these forums have found that allowing Rift to control AF and AA decimates frame rate. Driver controlled AA and AF is far better in this game gains 20% over allowing Rift to control it.

Some people have it set too high, but on every system I have run this game on (and they run the gammit) I have tested current ATI or Nvidia drivers handle AA and AF better if they are set according to the card's real capabilities. Is this an abnormality on the varying systems that we have tested versus your QA lab, or is this a legacy suggestion?

It is also worth noting that many low frame rate issues are due to people's PCs being set to Windows power setting other than High Performance (on both Desktops and Laptops) or to a laptop being unplugged. Other power plans on any PC or running off of the laptop battery will reduce performance since the PC is operating below its full potential to save power.

I would also like to ask you as a representative of Trion to please post the results from your QA lab as a move of openness. It would be very helpful to know what hardware configurations Trion tests on and what they perform like during QA. It would earn Trion as a game maker immense respect from the wider gaming community IMO. Operating from the 2 "back of box" spec lists is very hard since it makes estimating what the performance IS versus what it SHOULD BE pretty much shooting in the dark. People on a forum giving opinions as to performance is never very accurate and can even be fabricated. Trion's QA labs however can establish a basic performance baseline framework, which while not perfect because of variance in individual systems even of identical hardware not to mention the vast number of possible PC configurations, these open results would give the community a much better idea of what real life performance should be. It would also give those who are debating joining your wonderful game a good idea of how well they can play Rift before they purchase, which will in my opinion increase player retention.

Another thing many of us would like to see is the list of technical bug-fixes be added to the tag line of hotfixes and major patches. Hotfix #20 for example contained a major fix for crossfire users which we have almost universally hailed as a success. If you were to only read the patch notes though none of us would have ever known. This also would increase the feeling of openness and customer appreciation amongst your users. Operating out in the open is always a good idea since it removes any hint of bias towards or against any set of hardware users. It also shows us, your customers that Trion is on the ball, and working hard to address our concerns by showing us a the concrete evidence that Trion is patching performance bugs and optimizing system performance.

I hate to keep rambling, but I also request that if you can please have someone make an announcement about which mobile OSes will see authenticator support in the future. Many users would like to see a mobile authenticator come to their platform of choice, and while there are just too many for Trion to support them all there are some very large user bases of platforms like Symbian, Windows Phone/ Windows Mobile, and Blackberry OS who are very anxious as they are left to just sit and wonder if their platform will ever get support and if so when they will. There may also be a non platform specific authenticator option as well like SMS, and could Trion please comment openly as to the possibilities of any of those happening.

I only have one more request. Could Trion find a way to acknowledge publically the hard work of the user Krace (and others in the future like him) who for no other motives than to be helpful and fix a major issue plaguing the game. Krace showed an amazing amount of dedication, problem solving skills, and technical expertise while never blaming Trion or ever showing anything but the highest respect for Trion's hard work and great game. Krace has shown would be a valuable member of any QA team, and should be given some sort of public recognition for his very hard work which has saved Trion from losing many subscribers.

I am sorry to take up so much space in this thread, and while I could have sent this in a PM I really do believe in this spirit of openness so I have chosen to do so here. Rift is an awesome game, and I truly want Trion to succeed. I am very glad to see such a polished product at launch for a brand new company. I salute the hard work of the Trion team.

Thank you for your time, and keep up the amazing work.
    Trion has made me a dedicated fan of a great game from a great company,

Rich Aemry.

Soulwalker

Default Help plz!

Uh yes my game is not working it lets me log into it but it says that it has failed to log me in every time i try to log in in the game in the top left corner it says Connecting to character selection server at address 193.105.173.96:6520 and i just dont no what want to do plz help me ur my last hope!!!!

even changing the Rift.cfg from MainThreadCPU = 3 to MainThreadCPU = 0 keeps your CPU from running on 1 core and unleashes it to all cores.
    Guns Don't Kill LAG kill's - "Attack life—it's going to kill you anyway."

Gaming is always more fun when doing it @ 5.3ghz

Soulwalker

Default Improvements to be found?

I was surprised that, just having bought a new PC, the game only runs with proper framerate at the LOW graphics setting. A brief overview of my system: I3 core processor, 6GB Ram, Ati HD5450 card (1GB), 1TB harddrive.

I have tweaked the settings in the Catalyst control panel as recommended, but no difference.
    What I haven't looked at yet is the Windows 7 performance setting, and possibly BIOS setting.

My question is: With my specs, should I be able to run Rift at a higher than LOW setting, MEDIUM at the least? If so, I'll just keep tweaking until I get the right configuration.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymus Parabello View Post
    I was surprised that, just having bought a new PC, the game only runs with proper framerate at the LOW graphics setting. A brief overview of my system: I3 core processor, 6GB Ram, Ati HD5450 card (1GB), 1TB harddrive.

I have tweaked the settings in the Catalyst control panel as recommended, but no difference.
    What I haven't looked at yet is the Windows 7 performance setting, and possibly BIOS setting.

My question is: With my specs, should I be able to run Rift at a higher than LOW setting, MEDIUM at the least? If so, I'll just keep tweaking until I get the right configuration.
    Prior to the fps issues associated with the 1.2 patch, I was able, on a gtx460 card, with 3 gigs of ram, and an athlon x2 processor, run at Ultra and never dip below 30 fps, and averaged 50 fps. So, no, not a problem with your hardware, by any means.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by pcallycat View Post
    Prior to the fps issues associated with the 1.2 patch, I was able, on a gtx460 card, with 3 gigs of ram, and an athlon x2 processor, run at Ultra and never dip below 30 fps, and averaged 50 fps. So, no, not a problem with your hardware, by any means.
    I have a similar setup except I have 4 gigs of ram and a Phenom X4 9850 black cpu and I get better fps on the same settings then my gf's laptop and thats got a 540M gpu, 6 gigs of ram, intel core i7 cpu :S what up with that?

Soulwalker

I must say that i'm really disappointed with this game. Bought it yesterday and cant even run with 20+ fps at crowded areas.
    My config can play all games at max settings (including AA, AF) ... "ops, all games? rift doesn't run well"

HD 6870 + X4 965 @3.8ghz + 4gb ddr3 1600

I'm really thinking about cancel the subscription as soon the first month expires. Hope you can admit that have something wrong with the coding and optimization and try to found a fix for it.

Soulwalker

Default Wondering what level of grapchics my comp. can handle.

Hey, im just wondering what level of graphics my computer should be able to handle. ex. (min,low,med,etc..)

My specs are as follows:
    AMD phenom 9750 Quad Core processor 2.4 GHz
    8 Gigs of DDR2 ram
    Nvidia geforce 9500 GS
    1 TB of memory

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Rift Disciple

maybe leak shader/render:
    Try changing resolution settings and changing it back.

This works also for the Red Green shader bug "youtube background etc"
    AMD Quadcore 940BE
    8GB Hyper-x 1066mhz cl5
    Nvidia gtx460
    1TB Hitachi 32MB
    Dualboot win xp 32b,win7 U 64b.

Default Suggested Fixes DONT work

I have read every thread on the forums about low fps and latency and I have tried every suggested fix and all kinds of computer configerations and I am here to tell you that this is an issue with Rift and NOT my system! I can't believe that since the patch Trion has received numerous complaints on this issue and NO fix has been created, no acknowledgement of the issue, all sorts of "it's not Rift's fault" being thrown out there. When I started playing game at release I was totally in love with it and having the best time. Now I want to uninstall it and play WoW again. How sad is that!??? I now want to cancel my account and I want a refund since at 5-10fps its virtually impossible to play!!!

Era
    Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Aluriia View Post
    I have read every thread on the forums about low fps and latency and I have tried every suggested fix and all kinds of computer configerations and I am here to tell you that this is an issue with Rift and NOT my system! I can't believe that since the patch Trion has received numerous complaints on this issue and NO fix has been created, no acknowledgement of the issue, all sorts of "it's not Rift's fault" being thrown out there. When I started playing game at release I was totally in love with it and having the best time. Now I want to uninstall it and play WoW again. How sad is that!??? I now want to cancel my account and I want a refund since at 5-10fps its virtually impossible to play!!!
    Create your own thread with your system specs and what you tried. Considering you have 1 post, you have yet to ask for actual help.
    Era - Defiant - Byriel
    Former Owner of RiftLift

Soulwalker

I am also experiencing low FPS.. Granted I can tolerate it, but I am only get just at 30 FPS on the lowest settings you can go including 2D Render. It will hover around 30-40 and I by no means have any problem with any other games.

I am running a:
    AMD Athlon II X2 5200
    4 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB - With the latest drives of graphics card and DirectX and everything for the matter
    Windows 7 x86 Ultimate

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast