+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: General Steps For Low FPS Issues

Soulwalker

Default fps starts out great then goes to 9fps over a five min period and then stays there.

I've tried everything the tech support has offered for lag. I have a great gaming system video card ext and an A+ rating on my net from speedtest. I'm running well beyond the min requirements. I start out fine when I log into the game (low-I don't even bother with ultra) and in 5 min times it goes to crap. I'm convinced that its on the game server end. I'm planning on canceling I cannot play in five min periods then reboot the game. I ask everyone in my guild they seem to be okay with the bad performance like they have gotten used to it I just however cannot. I feel like I'm in Iron forge lvl 60 cap era lol. I just renewed for a month thats all the time you have to fix it.

I, too am having issues with FPS. I have a fairly beefy rig but only tend to get 25-45fps at 1680x1050 on Ultra settings and no AA.

i7 950 3.06GHz
    6GB RAM
    2xHD5870 (Crossfire)

I have tried turning crossfire off incase the game doesn't support it but this doesn't make any difference.

This is strange seeing as my machine can play all other graphically demanding games at a solid 60fps.

Soulwalker

i have a nvidia 525M with 2 gigs dedicated video memory, i5 processor, 6gig 1333 ram. Running the game at 1080p with mid-ranged settings im getting around 12-15FPS on average.

Soulwalker

I'm going to express some frustration here because I cannot make sense of this. Turning every setting to their minimum gets me a whole 1 or 2 FPS more. I take a guess that the GPU is not the problem and that the CPU is the bottleneck, so I overclock my CPU by 15%, from 2.53GHz to 2.9Ghz, and I set the process priority to high. It did absolutely nothing. Easing up on the GPU does nothing, giving more speed to the CPU does nothing, so what the hell is the problem? Why do I get 10-20FPS in Meridian? My system is as follows:

Windows 7 SP1
    Core 2 Duo 2.53Ghz
    GeForce GTX 260M
    6GB DDR2 800

The RAM is a bit outdated, but my computer can handle Crysis, Oblivion, GTA IV, and The Witcher 2 just fine. I've turned down settings, I've manually edited some settings in the .cfg file, I've updated all my drivers, I've overclocked my CPU, I've removed in-game overlays such as Xfire and Steam, and I've tried both fullscreen and windowed mode. Nothing does anything. The only thing I can think of is to keep trying older and older GPU drivers in hopes that one will work better, but am I really expected to do that? This is getting more and more annoying as the days go on, and it would have been really nice if it had at least been acknowledged in the recent patch.

I've noticed the game doesn't scale in crossfire all that well. My GPU usage percentages will max out at about 30-45% on each card even when running at only 30-45fps. My CPU will be hovering around 30% usage so I'm not sure where the bottleneck is. With crossfire off, the single GPU will be working at 65-85% but not much decrease in fps.

I honestly thought a powerful card such as the HD5870 would smash through this game.

I seen same problem in other mmos in the past. Its simple, if its not gpu or cpu, it an only be ram. Let me explain. Game runs in 32bit that means its limited by it only a fraction of the memory that ppl with highed pc have. That results in low fps in high populated areas. Same situation was in aion till 2.5 patch when they introduced 64bit client. All problems in huge fightsand populated areas was solved. Games fps got even and stable. If you google a bit yo can find plenty of mmo games that fixed low fps on super powerfu pcs. For example i have16gb ram butgame dont use ore than 3b... N this day and age 64bit client is a necessity for high quality gfx mmo games. hope we will hear anythng about 64bit client for rift being worked on because getthg used to crap fps n raids is nota solution on 4k pounds worth pc. I run rift at 120 fps solo or 70-80 with supersampling but icant get more than 18-28 fps in t1 raids or invasions!
    (Retired) - Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Earthrise
    GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Vindictus/Black Prophecy

I seen same problem in other mmos in the past. Its simple, if its not gpu or cpu, it an only be ram. Let me explain. Game runs in 32bit that means its limited by it only a fraction of the memory that ppl with highed pc have. That results in low fps in high populated areas. Same situation was in aion till 2.5 patch when they introduced 64bit client. All problems in huge fightsand populated areas was solved. Games fps got even and stable. If you google a bit yo can find plenty of mmo games that fixed low fps on super powerfu pcs. For example i have16gb ram butgame dont use ore than 3b... N this day and age 64bit client is a necessity for high quality gfx mmo games. hope we will hear anythng about 64bit client for rift being worked on because getthg used to crap fps n raids is nota solution on 4k pounds worth pc. I run rift at 120 fps solo or 70-80 with supersampling but icant get more than 18-28 fps in t1 raids or invasions!
    (Retired) - Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Earthrise
    GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Vindictus/Black Prophecy

Soulwalker

Well I'll be damned....

I actually found something in a forum useful for once - BUT - the few things that appear to have helped my FPS were NOT in this post originally when I came here for help - which btw you almost have to do because opening a ticket to trion is a fricken joke their customer service is horrible from my personal experience on several occassions....

My question is regarding the Vfx setting - mine was at 100 after a fresh RE INSTALL due something with the game but that's a different story - in another post in these forums someone is suggesting changing a setting in the cgf file from 100 to 10 to help reduce combat lag - something to do with reducing the number of effects shown on mobs or w/e - since i just changed mine to 7500 is that gonna blow my FPS to hell in a big invasion/rift event - I haven't tried it yet so I am just asking in theory.....

Soulwalker

From the original sticky:
    Open the “Rift.cfg” file in the root directory of your Rift install and find the following line:
    “VFXLimit = 750”
    Change the default value to 7500 and add the next line above it with the corresponding value:
    “VfxCullDistance = 256”

My computer showed:
    "VFXLimit = 100"
    [and no VfxCullDistance line at all]

since the patch, the map areas that I have 'discovered' are black except when in the three most zoomed-in settings.

would love some advice...

I tried everything listed here without success. I run an Intel core 2 duo 2.2ghz with 4 gb ram and a geforce gt240 and was able to run on ultra settings with 20-25 fps steady before patch 1.3. I even tried a registry scan and fix but now only getting 20 fps avg with lag spikes to 9 fps on low close to min settings. As far as I know there shouldn't be any reason that I should be having trouble running on low to min settings and have so much fps lag.

Any advise would be appreciated. Working on getting more RAM but I cannot afford to replace motherboard and processor at the moment.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Tsavi View Post
    I tried everything listed here without success. I run an Intel core 2 duo 2.2ghz with 4 gb ram and a geforce gt240 and was able to run on ultra settings with 20-25 fps steady before patch 1.3. I even tried a registry scan and fix but now only getting 20 fps avg with lag spikes to 9 fps on low close to min settings. As far as I know there shouldn't be any reason that I should be having trouble running on low to min settings and have so much fps lag.

Any advise would be appreciated. Working on getting more RAM but I cannot afford to replace motherboard and processor at the moment.
    Where is the bottleneck? CPU or GPU or possible RAM or Network? Open your windows task manager and look at the performance tab and see where the spikes are.

One simple solution to many FPS issues that I discovered, is to run the program in windowed mode, it can be as large as you want, just run it windowed. For some reason full screen is a much larger drain on resources even though in windowed I run at the same resolution.

Soulwalker

Unhappy

I have also been having problem recently (2 Weeks ago) brought a new System

I5 2500k OC @4.2ghz
    8Gb Corsair XMS DDR3 1600mhz RAM
    ASUS GTX580 DirectCUII (1.5Gb)

Complete Fresh instal of windows, game runs fine (70fps+) until i get to Merdian or Rifts/Invasions and FPS drops down to 10-12 and even less sometimes, i currently i have no AA on, no shadows, no multisampling, no AF running on Ultra @ 1080p. However even if i take the res down to 1024*768 and then down to low it still runs at 10-12 FPS.

The other problem i have is enemys NPC more than players not showing up, FPS running at 60 but yet nothing on the screen its like the textures are taking forever to load, i could be standing there for 15 mins and nothing

I have tried everything in this thread and got nothing :/ any help people can offer would be great

Ofc i have brand new drivers etc aswell, and crysis warhead runs with everything completely maximum AA and all

Banned

Why would changing the VFXLimit to a higher number improve performance? Thats a higher quality and shouldnt it reduce it?

About the VFXLimit some fixes say 10 some say 75 or 7500 I have tried them all but could someone explain exactly what this changes to the video quality?

When you called me delusional I laughed so hard I almost fell off my unicorn!!

Rift Disciple

“VfxCullDistance = 256”
    “VFXLimit = 7500”

wouldnt this make you lag even more ? that would mean the particle count will be at 7500 LOL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast