Closed Thread

Thread: 1gb vs 2 gb video card

Soulwalker

Default 1gb vs 2 gb video card

Hello all. Was looking to buy one of the following and curious if 2 gb helps much with rift.
    Asus gtx560 1 gb or the msi hd 6950 2gb

Thank you

I would suggest taking this to the tech forum, you'll find people more focused on this sort of thing there.

Also please add your computer info as well so they'll have more to work with.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by kritane View Post
    Hello all. Was looking to buy one of the following and curious if 2 gb helps much with rift.

Thank you
    Bigger is generally better but id say once you are to that level the differences won't be very compelling based on the amount of ram you have on the card nearly as much as the GPU that card has. I have a 1.8 gig something or other in my machine and I render the game flawlessly... course its an alienware with an i7 and like 6 gigs of ram...

Thank you
    It all depends, on many variables. Do you do anything else besides gaming, i.e 3d Modelling, intensive video editing, CGI? If not, go for the 1gb, it's more then enough. I have a MSI 460 GTX Hawk, and over clocked to the max I can get it stable on air cooling, Crysis 2, Shogun 2, Rift, etc, all run at 60fps on Ultra (Rift has Shadows and VSync turned off). But, also, it depends on your processor. You can install a imaginary 10000 GB video card that can run a simulated America, but that doesn't make a difference if you are pairing it with 128 megs of ram and a 800 mhz Pentium 3.
    Aalim "Killer of Infidels" ali Urwatuwusqa - wait wut?

Plane Touched

Thank you
    Generally more video card ram only helps if you're running at higher resolutions like 1920x1200 and up. The reality is you're more likely to have the CPU be your roadblock then graphics ram..

More RAM will help you in higher resolutions and with other applications. As for gaming, your money would be better spent with a FASTER GPU than just more memory, especially if you aren't running ultra high resolutions.
    Damaged - Hailol: Proclus Lycaeus, Daermoon, Berillion (both 60)
    Fire and Ice - Hailol: Ephrus, Shvaai, Wolframm (all 60)
    The Lords of Chaos (Personal) - Hailol: Ennal, Eldr, Yamule (all 60), Benderis (57),
    Mirahsha (26), Ariarlos (1) - Unguilded on Brutwacht (EU) - Siebenundvierzig (23)
    4/4 IDH | 4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 2/4 GA | 1/5 PB | 1/3 IG | 1277 PA

Telaran

Thank you
    Video RAM is only used as a frame buffer. When the GPU draws a frame it sends it stores it in the on-board memory until it is sent to the monitor. It is not used for anything else related to games. If you run the game at higher resolutions like 1900 X 1080 or higher then you would be better off with the card with more RAM. If you are on a small screen like 1680 X 1050 or below then you won't be getting much use out of the extra RAM.

Having the extra RAM at higher resolutions means more frames can be stored at a given time, making the game less choppy. If you run high resolutions and low memory, you will run into more choppiness in a given game.

Default See for yourself

If I had either card I would comment on them directly, but since I do not all I can offer you is this website that has the ability to break every card down and do a straight comparison between two cards.

GPUreview.com

Reading the reviews also helps a lot in determining CPU speed and Memory speed means more then straight CPU or just how large your memory is on the card, when talking performance.

Bob
    Last edited by BobtheDog; 04-15-2011 at 11:04 AM.

For the sole point of gaming, Higher RAM is only better for playing on high res, or multiple monitors. If you're not doing any rendering or 3d work, not really needed.
    A PRO QUOTE BELOW:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigas View Post
    You seem to be happy with Eradicate. I'm glad. The longer it stays in, the better. It's a non-threat spec. You're there to Purge things. I can avoid that by either making sure you're focused first, to which you have no answer, or I can go Pyro or SC and let you Eradicate all day.

Closed Thread