+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Help! Can't get above 30 fps :o(

Soulwalker

Default Help! Can't get above 30 fps :o(

Hey guys, thanks for looking at my thread. I can't seem to get smooth gameplay in rift and I've even tried setting everything to minimum settings and can only manage an average fps of around 30 and major cities drop down to low 20s. Rift events are less than double digit frame rates.

My specs are:

CPU: Q6600 quad.

Ram: 4 gigs DDR 800.

Video card: 470 gtx.

Motherboard: Asus p35 or p45 something, I don't really remember.

It's a outdated but I didn't think it would be this bad. I'm thinking of upgrading my system in hopes of getting a better experience in rift.

Here is my wishlist.

CPU: i7 sandy bridge 3.4 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115070)

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth P67 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131702)

Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR 3 1600 16gigs ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231429)

Not sure if I should upgrade the video card either but this is already about 800 bucks.

I'm also thinking of reinstalling windows and doing a clean install just to improve my frame rate.

And/or I should just upgrade my rig? I know very little about computers so I'm not even sure the above items would be a good bang for buck performance wise...please help if you can!

Plane Touched

What screen resolution do you play at? Something is off, you should be able to set things to at least Medium for extra eye candy with that hardware (unless you're somehow playing on a 30-inch monitor or something).
    Last edited by Auriyati; 04-11-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Soulwalker

Agreed, your system seems alright. Lower the res down, and try it out.

RIFT Customer Support Representative The Admiral's Avatar

Hello,

What's the clockspeed of that processor? Do you have any settings running from your Nvidia control panel? Like forced AA or SS? Have you tried booting into a clean boot state to see if any background programs or services could be causing performance issues?

The Admiral.

RELEASE THE ADMIRAL

Rift Disciple

Try lowering all CPU dependent settings to the lowest and/or monitor your gpu usage. Very likey that cpu is bottleknecking the 470. My q9550 was holding back my gtx 460 and i have a faster cpu and slower gpu than you.
    i5 2500k @4.5Ghz_________________16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600mhz (Rift Ram Drive)
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti 950Mhz___________60GB SSD OCZ Agility Turbo
    1TB Seagate Barracuda_____________Corsair TX750 V2
    Cooler Master HAF X_______________Asrock z68 extreme4
    Sony 46" 3D HDTV_________________Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by The Admiral View Post
    Hello,

What's the clockspeed of that processor? Do you have any settings running from your Nvidia control panel? Like forced AA or SS? Have you tried booting into a clean boot state to see if any background programs or services could be causing performance issues?

The Admiral.
    Hi y'all, thanks for the quick replies.

I have a 23 inch samsung led running at 1920x1080.

As for the Nvidia settings, I'm not sure what that is so I don't think I've done anything to change it from default.

And I have no idea on how to boot into a clean boot? It may be that I do have of stuff running so that's why I want to do a fresh install.

Any help would be appreciated!

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny5890 View Post
    Try lowering all CPU dependent settings to the lowest and/or monitor your gpu usage. Very likey that cpu is bottleknecking the 470. My q9550 was holding back my gtx 460 and i have a faster cpu and slower gpu than you.
    Hi Johnny, how do I do that?

Soulwalker

Oh and my q6600 is a 2.4 ghz quad.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Hotjujube View Post
    what is the brand of your gtx 460?
    i5 2500k @4.5Ghz_________________16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600mhz (Rift Ram Drive)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It tells you in game... video graphics settings, advanced. Each slider/setting has a tooltip if you hover over the text that tells you if it is GPU or CPU intensive.

I have damn near the same specs except mine is a 460. My framerate issues are also pretty much the same.
    I have disabled ALL background startup programs, and ALL services non-microsoft. I have turned all AA related settings to application controlled, but in game ofc those are all off. I have many custom slider options DOWN below the low gfx setting and still get crud FPS... funny thing is i walk outta town and face an open plain, and i get amazing 60+ fps. i turn around BAM 20-30.

I could be wrong but i am pretty sure its a CPU bottleneck. Our Q6600 is pretty outdated, and i am going to be overclocking it to 3.0ghz once i nice aftermarket cpu heatsink/cooler. im fairly certain that will help. as for now my only advice is to turn off AA, turn off shadows, and everything else on the default setting under the prefab low setting. GL!

edit: my GPU is EVGA GTX 460 SSC
    Last edited by batou079; 04-11-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Byriel - Guardians - The Brethren - DH 4/4 - GP 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 5/5 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - iD 1/8
    Weekend HK PuG! http://brethrenrift.enjin.com/forum/...eekend-hk-runs

Batousi, 50 Warrior ~ Bomah, 50 Cleric ~ Kusanagi, 50 Rogue ~ Fuu, LvLing Mage

Soulwalker

It's an evga Fermi or something like that.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by batou079 View Post
    It tells you in game... video graphics settings, advanced. Each slider/setting has a tooltip if you hover over the text that tells you if it is GPU or CPU intensive.

I have damn near the same specs except mine is a 460. My framerate issues are also pretty much the same.
    I have disabled ALL background startup programs, and ALL services non-microsoft. I have turned all AA related settings to application controlled, but in game ofc those are all off. I have many custom slider options DOWN below the low gfx setting and still get crud FPS... funny thing is i walk outta town and face an open plain, and i get amazing 60+ fps. i turn around BAM 20-30.

I could be wrong but i am pretty sure its a CPU bottleneck. Our Q6600 is pretty outdated, and i am going to be overclocking it to 3.0ghz once i nice aftermarket cpu heatsink/cooler. im fairly certain that will help. as for now my only advice is to turn off AA, turn off shadows, and everything else on the default setting under the prefab low setting. GL!

edit: my GPU is EVGA GTX 460 SSC
    TURN AF to 0 ingame. It is a huge performance gain, it's bugged

Rift Disciple

It's an evga Fermi or something like that.
    Yea, really no need to check because its just about confirmed a q6600 will bottleneck a 470 if it is a 460. However to prove this theory, download EVGA Precision from their website. You will then want to go into the monitoring settings and put on screen display (OSD) always on and check off GPU usage and whatever else you would like to always see on your screen and it will show in the top right or left corner of you screen while playing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Soulwalker

Thanks guys. I'll try this out and see how it goes. If my CPU is really the culprit, I'm going to upgrade to that nice looking i7 sandy bridge.

Turn off any unneccessary background applications if not needed. You can download Game Booster from CNET for help with this. It stops windows from doing check auto updates and etc and other things that don't need to be running while you game.

Only other options would be to change a registry file to make any foreground (any program that is up and infront of your face) take most of the processing power. If you pay for Game Booster for 10bucks it will do this for you plus other PC registry tweaks that will free up resources as well. If not then you can do the registry tweaks easy and free.

You can go to Tweakhound.com to do some tweaks for your PC that may make a difference. Also has the instructions to do the foreground change. This tweak gives "60" percent of the processing to the foreground app and the rest to background apps.

Also here are some Rift Tweaks you can do that might help as well

Hopefully that can help in squeezing all you can out of your rig.

REMEMBER TO DO A RESTORE POINT BEFORE YOU DO ANY OF THIS JUST IN CASE

@Admiral- there are some areas as i'm sure you are aware that have issues that cause drops in FPS alot. For me its latern hook inside of it. I got from 70FPS to 20-25FPS. Its not a high populated area so i doubt that would be a reason.
    Last edited by Fhero; 04-11-2011 at 04:03 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast