+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rift Crashes my entire PC causing reboot

Soulwalker

Default Rift Crashes my entire PC causing reboot

Hi there,

OK my PC exceeds requirements for the game, MY PSU has plenty of juice, my GFX cards are not hot, no other game ever has caused this issue, the internals of my machine are spotless and all cooling systems working correctly, All my drivers are up to date.

This game crashes my PC whether its on ultra, high or medium settings. This is an issue with the game its self thats causing this not my equipment. Please Deal with this issue its ruining what so far has been a very good MMO first 1 to get me off the dreaded WoW for any length of time.

Please no replies from tech heads slating my Equipment there is something in the programming of the game that is causing windows to power off and reboot my gear although probably no longer latest tech is plenty mordern enough to run this game.

More details about my computer

Component Details Subscore Base score
    Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor 7.3 5.9
    Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB 7.5
    Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series 7.6
    Gaming graphics 2815 MB Total available graphics memory 7.6
    Primary hard disk 494GB Free (932GB Total) 5.9
    Windows 7 Home Premium

System
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer System manufacturer
    Model System Product Name
    Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
    System type 64-bit operating system
    Number of processor cores 4

Storage
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 932 GB
    Disk partition (C 494 GB Free (932 GB Total)
    Media drive (D CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
    Total available graphics memory 2815 MB
    Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
    Dedicated system memory 0 MB
    Shared system memory 1791 MB
    Display adapter driver version 8.791.0.0
    Primary monitor resolution 1920x1200
    Secondary monitor resolution 1680x1050
    DirectX version DirectX 10

Telaran

Welcome to the club, now look forums for about 100 more posts

Soulwalker

Same problems here, and you mirror my sentiments exactly. This is the first MMO to take me away from WoW. However, if I can't get those random "shutdowns" resolved that I'm not sure if I'm going to renew my sub. Sometimes I can play for a day or two with no shutdowns and the next day I'll have 3 within the hour. Very annoying....

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Toreey View Post
    Welcome to the club, now look forums for about 100 more posts
    THe more seperate posts the more attention this might get and the more the tech head will realise its nothing to do with your hardware

Rift Disciple

the only time when you would get a system shut down is when.

#there is a problem with the PSU
    #when there is a thermal shutdown from either mobo or cpu
    #when the graphic card is not getting enough power

you may think your system is fine and blame the game, but i tell you now, it is your system.

a system is like a dam, under low pressure it may seem fine, but as soom as a storm arrives and the pressure builds cracks start to form and water may leak.
    Last edited by direwind; 04-11-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by direwind View Post

so let me get this straight, you're saying these are the only 3 reasons why a system will ever reboot.

ever seen a "blue screen of death" in windows? what happens after the memory dump?

@OP all i can say is. Windows 7, 64-bit, radeon HD 48xx
    seems to be a common thread here
    Last edited by Potm; 04-11-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Shadowlander

you may think your system is fine and blame the game, but i tell you now, it is your system.
    Yeah, that's not true. There are most definitely software/development issues that can cause a reboot. For example, a buffer overflow caused by poorly coded memory allocation would raise a critical exception error that would force a spontaneous reboot. A rapid reboot/shutdown may very well be hardware related, but it could also almost just as easily be software.

I'm experiencing the same issue and have been monitoring voltages and temperatures for days looking for some solid evidence of hardware failure. To date I haven't found anything. My system is running well within tolerances across a host of temperature sensors and PSU voltage output. Given the large number of people experiencing the issue and across such a wide range of hardware, the odds of it being a hardware-only issue are diminishing.

Rift Disciple

i didnt read the whole of the thread , and for some reason i couldnt edit the post, in respect to what i posted that was meant purly for system abrupt shut down, system restarting issue can be caused by an insane amount of things, the key things though.

~overheating
    ~memory issues
    ~poorly installed drivers, always use a driver sweeper and clean the reg of trace info from drivers.
    ~hard drive issues, causing windows errors(rare, unless drive is old)
    ~psu aging. Psu age, each year the power output may drop about 2%/5% depending on how often the system is running, you might not be getting all the power needed to run a buggy hungry game like this.
    ~ Gpu errors.
    ~cpu overclocked errors

i would recommend uninstalling you video drivers, then using driver sweeper from guru3d to remove the left overs then use crap cleaner regscanner to remove the trace reg entries(all from safe mode)

then reinstall the drivers.

if that fails run a memory check, if it passes all tests over 30 mins its fine.
    check Hdd smart status, if there is an issue it will tell you so.
    check cpu, i like to use prime test, small bits for 1 hour, this will heat up the cpu so keep an eye on max temp, you should not hit over 80c, if there is an issue it will crash.
    run heaven benchmark, run this for 30 mins to 1 hour, this test uses only gpu power so its ideal for testing real world gaming stability, dont use furmark this tool cooks your gpu in an unrealistic way.

if all is fine, you know its the game, and then i would recommend playing in fullscreen windowed mode, it worked for me

Soulwalker

^^ This is 98% true. The other 2% is extremely rare.

Soulwalker

a system is like a dam, under low pressure it may seem fine, but as soom as a storm arrives and the pressure builds cracks start to form and water may leak.
    I tell you now there is no problem with my PSU my temperatures are fine this issue is caused by some conflict that the game has with drivers and needs rift to look at it properly and patch where needed.

There are 100s if not 1000s of people with this issue now this does not happen in any other game.

All you have to do is read the 100s of posts across the internet to realise something is not right here with this moderately intensive game thats crashing PCs that have no issue with high intensity stuff normally.

These people are all saying the same thing you are out voted im afraid.

Rift / trion can we have some answers or at least some comment that is showing us this issue is being looked into at your end?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Potm View Post
    so let me get this straight, you're saying these are the only 3 reasons why a system will ever reboot.

ever seen a "blue screen of death" in windows? what happens after the memory dump?

@OP all i can say is. Windows 7, 64-bit, radeon HD 48xx
    seems to be a common thread here
    aye quite possibly it is in which case trion need to do something - obvioulsy an issue that didnt get picked up in beta

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zarawer View Post
    ^^ This is 98% true. The other 2% is extremely rare.
    Sure is my system maybe its windows 64 maybe its the drivers, maybe its the GFX card the point is my system meets the requirements of the game and this means trion have failed somewhere there is a conflict and it needs sorting - and the pure number of people having issues with this means it is not rare at all.

Quote Originally Posted by rolodojo View Post
    Graphics

Display adapter type ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
    So which one of the many 4800 series is this card?

4830?
    4850?
    4870?
    4890?

Be specific please

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by ThatTomGuy View Post
    So which one of the many 4800 series is this card?

4830?
    4850?
    4870?
    4890?

Be specific please
    Would also help if you listed your power supply make and model.

+ Reply to Thread