+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wife's Laptop question

Default Wife's Laptop question

So I checked the systemrequirementslab.com website now it shows her laptop passes the min. requirements, but before buying another copy of the game I was curious to see what you guys thought...

Her laptop is a
    http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satell.../dp/B004G8QQ2I

we got it about 2 months ago...

thanks guys!

That laptop doesn't have a dedicated graphics card, which means even if it will start (Rift checks the hardware upon startup and may well fail an integrated chip) it may not be very playable. Officially Rift lists the intel GMA 4500 as part of the minimum requirements, but IMHO they should just remove that, this game was clearly not built to run on such chips

If you can get the game to start it may be playable on the low quality renderer and while soloing, but visiting the bigger cities and doing rifts and invasions will likely be a problem. Unless playing at below 10 fps isn't a problem, I'd not purchase a 2nd copy blindly at any rate.

What I'd suggest doing is to install and run Rift on the laptop and log in and play with your account, just to see how it runs. It would tell you pretty quickly if it's playable or not.

If you install the client from the download link or discs first, you can then copy over your Rift game folder on your PC and paste it on top of the new install folder on the laptop to save having to re-update everything.
    Last edited by Amarinth; 04-10-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Shadowlander

INTEL CORE 2 DUO P7450(2.1 Ghz)
    4096MB (2X2048) 800MHZ DDR2 DUA
    Mobility radeon 5470 (512mb)
    320GB SATA (5400RPM)

The above is a Dell laptop we have in our house and whilst it does run Rift. It doesnt run it well. Minimum settings on everything and even then in citys or busy rifts it turns into a stop motion picture. Questing in the wilds gets 15-30 fps if we are lucky. This machine has a dedicated gpu that yours doesnt so I wouldnt expect yours to run it im sorry to say.
    My Boys pride and joy
    COOLERMASTER CM690 MKII ADVANCED CASE : AMD PHENOM II X4 970 BE - OC to 3.9 Ghz : ASUS CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0Gb/s : 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 4GB KIT) : 2 x 2GB AMD RADEON HD6950 (crossfire) (oc to just below 6970...couldnt quite get it stable any higher ) : 120GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SERIES SSD, SATA 3 Gb/s
    1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm) : CORSAIR 1000W PRO SERIES (HX1000) 80+ MODULAR PSU : TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER : WIN 7 64bit

My Rift machine
    MAELSTROM T900 BLACK CASE : AMD PHENOM II X6 1100T - OC to 4.0 Ghz on air : ASUS CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0Gb/s : 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 4GB KIT) : 2GB AMD RADEON HD6970 : 60GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SERIES SSD, SATA 3 Gb/s : 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm) :
    CORSAIR 750W TX SERIES (TX750) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU : TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER : WIN 7 64bit

Rich Aemry

you're looking at min on low rendering and 30FPS questing and a slideshow in a rift. If she doesn't care if she spends half the game at 15-19FPS or so then sure get it. Every once and a while I can play like that on someone else's backup box, but for the primary machine I'd play on.....nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarus View Post
    So I checked the systemrequirementslab.com website now it shows her laptop passes the min. requirements, but before buying another copy of the game I was curious to see what you guys thought...
    If the above poster is correct in that it's an Intel GMA 4500 I'd be surprised if that ran any games. It's a general media chip WELL below what I'd consider the minimum for gaming.

Intel GMA 4500 at Notebookcheck

You'll see that notebook check ranks it way down in rank 4. For gaming even at lower or low-mid settings you don't want to be lower than an AMD 5650, which is about the middle of rank 2.

In my opinion you shouldn't even bother loading games on the system, as they are going to perform so poorly it will just lead to frustration. Unfortunately there are a lot of laptops in the $500-750 range that look decent, but are actually poop for gaming. Really you can't go lower than the $750 range (with an AMD 5650) if you want to game.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

+ Reply to Thread