+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Playing rift for 5 minutes = Whole computer shuts down

Soulwalker

Default Playing rift for 5 minutes = Whole computer shuts down

I've just bought Rift and I can only play it for 5 minutes or so before my whole system just shuts down completely. I'm running ATI Radeon HD 4800 series, 4G Ram, AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz, the computer isn't overheating. It only does it with Rift and I have never experienced it before, even with more graphically taxing games. What can I do to fix this? It isn't a fault on my systems part i'm sure. Please help me, this looks a good game

Plane Touched

Well, with my system:

Asus P6t
    Intel i7 920
    Nvidia GTX 295 dual
    Corsair 6 gigz 1600 DDR3
    Nothing overclocked, ever.

I can tell you that Rft makes my my gpu run at around 92c-98c. It is the only game that makes my gpu work this hard. Every other game I own is around 68c-78c. BF:BC2, TF2, CS:S, Homefront, L4D2, and COD.

I think Rift just hates my card. Keep in mind I can run everything at max an get 42-48 fps in the main citys

You may wanna double check that graphics card and really see how hot it is getting. I had to download MSI Afterburner just to adjust my fan speeds so my card would not go over its max temp lvl which is 105c and shutdown.

Rift Chaser

There are several of us that just encountered this issue roughly 4 days ago. No word yet on a fix. Is your loading screen catching at 93% for longer than you think is natural?

Rich Aemry

What are your temps? And are you manually setting fan controls? Primary reason for what it happening to you is either voltage irregularity from the PSU or something overheated.

Quote Originally Posted by Danza View Post
    There are several of us that just encountered this issue roughly 4 days ago. No word yet on a fix. Is your loading screen catching at 93% for longer than you think is natural?
    THIS....This has been happening to me for about a week now. At character select, I get odd artifact type stuff flashing once in a while. In game I log in to 40-70ish fps and as I play for about 20-25 minutes it steadily declines to 11-14 fps up to 20-27 fps. The game kinda "hitches" now, like it's lagging a bit if I keep playing after this point. It doesn't exactly crash on me but something weird has happened and it's not acting right anymore. My temps are all just fine and not overheating is apparent. No problems like this at all before this past week. I sure hope something gets done soon.
    Yep, that's right.... http://www.riftnation.com

Soulwalker

do you think they will fix it?

Rich Aemry

It this going to turn into another one of those threads?

There are several different issues that can cause you to shut down mid game. I can almost guarantee that it's not all the same issue.

OP: Check your temps first. Then if you can measure the PSU to make sure it's delivering clean power. If those two things are okay then let's go from there.

@Balel1975 what are those "fine" temps? Are you looking at ALL of them? There are about 10 different things that can overload from overheating are you measuring them all, and if you are what with?

This game stresses systems for all they are worth, and many are getting HOT, and if your PSU isn't delivering clean power then your PC will shut down when it overloads.

Also unless you are running a piece of hardware that is the same as the OP please start you own thread so we can work on his issues without trying to keep track of multiple issues and getting everyone lost.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aemry View Post
    It this going to turn into another one of those threads?

There are several different issues that can cause you to shut down mid game. I can almost guarantee that it's not all the same issue.

OP: Check your temps first. Then if you can measure the PSU to make sure it's delivering clean power. If those two things are okay then let's go from there.

@Balel1975 what are those "fine" temps? Are you looking at ALL of them? There are about 10 different things that can overload from overheating are you measuring them all, and if you are what with?

This game stresses systems for all they are worth, and many are getting HOT, and if your PSU isn't delivering clean power then your PC will shut down when it overloads.

Also unless you are running a piece of hardware that is the same as the OP please start you own thread so we can work on his issues without trying to keep track of multiple issues and getting everyone lost.
    how can I check these temps you want? Sorry lol ...

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by lazerflip View Post
    how can I check these temps you want? Sorry lol ...
    Download CoreTemp and MSI afterburner for starters. Play in windowed mode with those running on the sides so you can tell me what the temps are when you crash.

Soulwalker

welcome to the club of HD48xx crash threads

here's how these threads go

ppl actually having the problem and trying to troubleshoot it: drivers updated. only this game crashes. temps verified all well within spec, but tbh my card can reach much higher temps without problems. (and other mountains of evidence pointing at the true nature of the problem)
    people who don't own ATI hd48xx: ok, but are you sure you're not overheating??

repeat until thread locked
    Last edited by Potm; 04-11-2011 at 06:45 AM.

I've got a 4850, when I tried to update the drivers a couple of weeks ago the latest drivers gave me artifacts and then froze my pc, I uninstalled them and installed the old ones and every-things been fine since,
    you might want to try rolling back your drivers.
    Last edited by Rilman; 04-11-2011 at 06:47 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Potm View Post
    welcome to the club of HD48xx crash threads

here's how these threads go

ppl actually having the problem and trying to troubleshoot it: drivers updated. only this game crashes. temps verified all well within spec, but tbh my card can reach much higher temps without problems. (and other mountains of evidence pointing at the true nature of the problem)
    people who don't own ATI hd48xx: ok, but are you sure you're not overheating??

repeat until thread locked
    That club is bigger than just HD48xx cards unfortunately...

Rich Aemry

Quote Originally Posted by Rilman View Post
    I've got a 4850, when I tried to update the drivers a couple of weeks ago the latest drivers gave me artifacts and then froze my pc, I uninstalled them and installed the old ones and every-things been fine since,
    you might want to try rolling back your drivers.

OP try this. It works more than you would think. Go back to drivers produced while your card was still manufactured.

+ Reply to Thread