Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Choppy Gameplay?

Default Choppy Gameplay?

So I built myself a new rig and was hoping Rift would run ultra smooth, and it should, but for some reason it doesnt!! I get constant high FPS (always around 60) but at some places or during battle I start to get real choppy and I dont know why.

I made a video of it using the awesome in-game youtube thing so you can see what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESNx_b7fUxY

Top left corner in yellow is my FPS (using Fraps)

Computer specs;
    Asus P6X58D-E
    Core i7 950 3.0ghz
    H70 Cooler
    6gig DDR3 1600 Ram
    1GB Geforce GTX460 (MSI)
    120g OCZ SSD with ONLY Rift and Windows7 installed on it.
    Last edited by SabreWolf; 04-04-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Rift Disciple

Sorry, not seeing the real choppiness here. You are jerking your character around a little and the background is going from 2 very distant scenes in im sure a high quality setting. How about normal play and not messing around in some tree? If your getting this effect in normal play, check your GPU and CPU usage while it is occurring and report back here.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny5890 View Post
    Sorry, not seeing the real choppiness here. You are jerking your character around a little and the background is going from 2 very distant scenes in im sure a high quality setting. How about normal play and not messing around in some tree? If your getting this effect in normal play, check your GPU and CPU usage while it is occurring and report back here.
    I get this at random spots, that just happens to be a spot where it happens so I recreated the choppyness to film it.

Happens alot in LH at certain areas when lots of spells are going off. Dont forget tho, this is not a FPS drop as my FPS stays high, but for some reason everything gets choppy.

So after shutting down my PC and letting it rest for a bit, the choppyness is gone.. What would be causing this? some kind of memory leak??

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by SabreWolf View Post
    I get this at random spots, that just happens to be a spot where it happens so I recreated the choppyness to film it.

Happens alot in LH at certain areas when lots of spells are going off. Dont forget tho, this is not a FPS drop as my FPS stays high, but for some reason everything gets choppy.
    check your temperatures, overheating could cause a processor to throttle down to protect itself. Not sure how experienced you are with computers but seating the heatsink is extremely important when installing components, probably one of the few things you could mess up. A memory leak would make me believe that choppiness would be more consistent.

<TYPED THE FOLLOWING BEFORE READING YOUR LAST POST>
    Sounds like your CPU could use a few more Mhz. I hear the i7's are easy to overclock. Up to you on how much it bothers you. Doesnt look too bad in the video. But if your running over ultra and have EVERY visual setting near its highest, you will want that CPU closer to 3.5 and you shouldnt drop below 35-40 in heavy action. I have a superclocked 460 1gb that i overclocked a lil more on a 1080p tv with a q9550. I had my CPU at stock (2.83ghz) and raised it to 3.7ghz and im on 60 everywhere but cities where i hit 30. If your CPU was on 3.5ghz you should be no lower than 35 or 40.

Dont be fooled into thinking your new PC isnt good, it is. But Rift's high settings can tax almost any component. You can lower ground clutter settings to minimize that choppiness a little.
    Last edited by Johnny5890; 04-04-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Yeah, im not a total noob at computers but im also not an expert. I watched many videos on how to properly apply thermal paste and sit my H70, I did it 3 times while changing things around my case so im pretty sure it's seated properly.

My FPS is 50+ in major cities and even during major invasions. It seems after a while it just gets choppy (with no FPS drop) and then a reboot fixes it.. makes no sense to me

I dint build this PC to leave it at stock, I do plan on overclocking to 3.5 if not 4.0, but im totally new in the OCing scene so I have a lot of reading and studying before I dive into that.

As far as my temps go -
    My CPU idles at 28-32, goes up to 40-47 in RIFT, and doesnt pass 70 using Prime95 (Torture test)
    My GPU idles around 30, goes up to 45-55 in RIFT which isnt bad imo

Rift Disciple

As far as my temps go -
    My CPU idles at 28-32, goes up to 40-47 in RIFT, and doesnt pass 70 using Prime95 (Torture test)
    My GPU idles around 30, goes up to 45-55 in RIFT which isnt bad imo
    Yea theyre all very good.

your temps are all fine, since you already upgraded your system to an i7, you actually selected a GPU that has become a bit of a bottleneck for the rest of your system. But i wouldnt say thats the problem either...

Try turn small GFX off one at a time to see if it smooths out intense screen action... like first turn off vertical sync, than shadows, than try lowering shaders... etc etc. Once you find a specific gfx property being the culprit, it could help you determine if it is a CPU or GPU issue...

also bust our your OC software logging utility to graph both core heat, voltage and fan speeds to make sure they are all where they should be while under load. Good luck man.

Byriel - Guardians - The Brethren - DH 4/4 - GP 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 5/5 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - iD 1/8
    Weekend HK PuG! http://brethrenrift.enjin.com/forum/...eekend-hk-runs

Batousi, 50 Warrior ~ Bomah, 50 Cleric ~ Kusanagi, 50 Rogue ~ Fuu, LvLing Mage

I use SpeedFan, HWMonitor, Coretemp and Realtemp to monitor my stuff. Already played the GFX settings, but like I said its not really a FPS problem. Im going to monitor how long it takes of constant playing before the stutter starts again.

So far since the reboot I've been doing rifts for about half an hour now with no stutters.

When I took the video posted above my comp had been on overnight downloading a movie, then logged into RIFT for most of the day (I'd say about 6 hours) thats when it began to stutter.

Rift Disciple

Yeah, im not a total noob at computers but im also not an expert. I watched many videos on how to properly apply thermal paste and sit my H70, I did it 3 times while changing things around my case so im pretty sure it's seated properly.

My FPS is 50+ in major cities and even during major invasions. It seems after a while it just gets choppy (with no FPS drop) and then a reboot fixes it.. makes no sense to me

I dint build this PC to leave it at stock, I do plan on overclocking to 3.5 if not 4.0, but im totally new in the OCing scene so I have a lot of reading and studying before I dive into that.
    Didnt see this before. Good to hear. 70c on prime 95 at stock clocks is acceptable but if you plan on going to 3.5 or 4.0 it might be a fight with temperatures.

Could it possibly have anything to do with my SSD? A while ago it crashed and I lost everything on it, was going to send it in for an RMA but after a format and re-install everything worked fine.

omg the edit rules on these forums are dumb

Forgot to mention I had my GTX460 before I built this rig, so yes it does somewhat bottleneck and I do plan on upgrading in the near future to either a GTX580 or SLI 460s
    Last edited by SabreWolf; 04-04-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Ascendant

I've seen quite a few reports of choppy gameplay with SSD's. Copy/Paste the entire directory onto a normal HDD & see if it's still choppy.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    I've seen quite a few reports of choppy gameplay with SSD's. Copy/Paste the entire directory onto a normal HDD & see if it's still choppy.

Game has been working great for the last few weeks but last 2 days I have been having much more choppy felling. Maybe it has something to do with Youtube features added. I dont know but its getting to a point where it is causing me to stop playing.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast