Closed Thread

Thread: Rift patches but stops at the character select screen and shows no characters.

Soulwalker

Default Rift patches but stops at the character select screen and shows no characters.

Hi,

I recently repaired my desktop system and am trying to get Rift to run on it.

System specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3.20 GHZ
    32-bit Windows 7
    4 GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 6870 1 GB latest Catalyst and I have tried 10.12 (I noticed this wasn't in the supported cards list on this site, but have seen alternative sites that have benchmarked it in game.)

However, when I log in, the cinematic is either non-existent or flickery with bright pastel shades. After that, the game reaches the character select screen with the columns and the rift in the background and seems to run smoothly.

Unfortunately, the characters never appear and neither does the shard select menu. Also, there are no buttons. I tried to take a screen shot with the print screen button but it just pasted as a black image the same size of the resolution.

I have opened the ports mentioned across this site and have even tried some others mentioned on some forums and router configuration port sites. My port checker application indicates that there is no problem communicating outbound from these ports either.

In addition, I have tried running this as an administrator and have even reinstalled it on the Administrator user account when it was installed on my own seperate account already with Administrator privileges. I have tried the recover option in the patcher, and the reset all option in the settings. I have also set the privileges of the Rift folder for full access for the Administrator and my user account. Also, I've tried both windowed and full screen modes with the same results except windowed goes laggy when i resize it.

I'm basically out of options and have hunted on the internet for a couple days now. Please, I don't want to go back to playing on the laptop!

Basically all other games work.

Thanks for any assistance in advance.

Soulwalker

I am having the same problem and the initial response I got from Trion Help did not fix it. I am waiting for their reply.

Soulwalker

Default Rift Log

The Rift log shows that everything is working fine as well:

[INF][ENG] 21:43:08.180 Successfully connected to selection server at [208.94.27.31:6520]
    [NOT][ENG] 21:43:08.180 Connected to character selection server (80% complete)
    [NOT][ENG] 21:43:09.209 Sent protocol version (84% complete)
    [NOT][ENG] 21:43:09.282 Sent protocol version (88% complete)
    [NOT][ENG] 21:43:09.284 Requested select authentication (92% complete)
    [INF][ENG] 21:43:09.339 Login request successful
    [NOT][ENG] 21:43:09.339 Selection authentication accepted (96% complete)
    [NOT][ENG] 21:43:09.340 Displaying character list (100% complete)
    [INF][ENG] 21:43:09.461 Retrieve realm list request successful

I see neither the character list or the realm list.

I forgot to mention also that hardwaredetector.exe crashes during patching.

Soulwalker

Help replied with "reinstall". I did this but I changed the pathway, oddly enough it worked. Hope this helps.

Soulwalker

Default Not working yet

It still isn't working for me. No menu and no characters.

Soulwalker

Default Still no luck

I've tried installing to a different path and drive and still no luck. Also, I tried running it with the onboard GPU and I still only reach the same screen.

I can play on my ancient laptop but not on my modern desktop computer. This is very frustrating Trion, please address this issue or ask me for more information so you can.

Soulwalker

This is also happening to me game starts up with a bunch or weird colors then comes up to the character select without the character/shard selectors, also ran the repair tool and comes up with nothing hopefully we get some sort of fix tomorrow once business resumes.

Soulwalker

Has anyone found any resolution to this problem? I bought Rift today and am experiencing the same issues: screen flickers for ~10 seconds before going to what I assume is character screen with columns and a rift in the background and then nothing happens.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Intel i7
    6144MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

Soulwalker

Default The system is down

Apparently they are having issues with the new patch. The servers may be unavailable.

Soulwalker

Same problem here.
    Core 2 Duo 3.2GHz
    8GB
    ATI 4850
    Windows 7 Home premium 64bit

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by OishiiSaru View Post
    Same problem here.
    Core 2 Duo 3.2GHz
    8GB
    ATI 4850
    Windows 7 Home premium 64bit
    Ok, I'm an idiot and don't know how to edit my own post....

Did some more searches and the following fixed it for me...

http://forums.riftgame.com/archive/i.../t-87776.html?

Soulwalker

I'm getting the same problem and the Direct X fix aint working either. Running a GTX 460. Any help would be appreciated.

Soulwalker

Bump every now and then I will also get the windows message saying "hardwaredetector.exe is not responding". Something tells me this problem has nothing to do with Dirextx but with something Trion did to the hardwaredetector.exe file in the latest patch.

Closed Thread