+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Sound Issues since 1.1

Soulwalker

Tried making another clip, I think you can hear the crackling, scratching, or however you want to call it, alot better on this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-GfAevKGYg

Shadowlander

my audio has not worked whatsoever in game since, however in the intro I can hear faint sound.
    Last edited by Beecee; 04-08-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Plane Walker

bump for response

Soulwalker

The change is barely a change at all, it's not as drastic as 1.1. Most of the sword and weapon hits are still muffled and sound like thuds instead of their original slicing sounds. It's fair to say that the sounds are destroyed and it's probably gonna be this way for a long time still, once reviewers get wind of this they'll probably come down on rift like a tonne of bricks.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kazenokage View Post
    The change is barely a change at all, it's not as drastic as 1.1. Most of the sword and weapon hits are still muffled and sound like thuds instead of their original slicing sounds. It's fair to say that the sounds are destroyed and it's probably gonna be this way for a long time still, once reviewers get wind of this they'll probably come down on rift like a tonne of bricks.
    After playing for a couple of hours, I'm not seeing (or I should say hearing) the same thing as you Kaz. The sounds are much improved, very crisp and clear. There is good sound fade with distance, such as when leaving or approaching a rift. Prior to 1.1 it was just loud all over. Now, the sound seems appropriate for the distance. My rogue's daggers have a nice slicing sound to them. Some combat sfx are still too low or too similar to other skill effects, which the developers are aware of. I run on a high end logitech surround system (5.1) which gives me a good amount of sensory detail. It's odd that your experience is drastically different from mine.
    Last edited by Gilandred; 04-08-2011 at 07:10 PM.

I was hopeful these would be good changes. I immediately could hear a few sounds that I hadn't heard in a while but soon I got that thump thump thump sound ... and its so much louder than everything else. Still no music. I know they don't want to loop the music but why not give us the option. I personally would prefer music looped over and over to having NO music.

I've said it before...we've all said it before...return the sounds to what we had before...or as close as you can. This was one part of the game you really didn't need to screw up so bad.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Gilandred View Post
    After playing for a couple of hours, I'm not seeing (or I should say hearing) the same thing as you Kaz. The sounds are much improved, very crisp and clear. There is good sound fade with distance, such as when leaving or approaching a rift. Prior to 1.1 it was just loud all over. Now, the sound seems appropriate for the distance. My rogue's daggers have a nice slicing sound to them. Some combat sfx are still too low or too similar to other skill effects, which the developers are aware of. I run on a high end logitech surround system (5.1) which gives me a good amount of sensory detail. It's odd that your experience is drastically different from mine.
    I'm using zx 5500 on a xonar dx soundcard, although it has improved it's still not a stones throw away from it's original vibrant sound. There are still faded and muffled weapon sounds. Maybe I'm just imagining it now but I could've sworn it was better than this. It's possible that because of Trion's slow fix I'm somehow glorifying how the sounds originally sounded like. I also have a niggly feeling the original sound guy(s) were fired or moved on from Trion, hence the slow fix. Maybe a disgruntled employee purposely messed with the levels, ah one can only speculate.

Shadowlander

Still borked after this latest update today. For example the Riftblades Avatar of Water buff when you cast it you can hear the effect but your char also laughs like HA HA HA but it is barely audible where before the 1.1 patch is was very crisp and clean and loud. Couple other abilities have you do similar things and are also borked.
    Last edited by Bojer; 04-08-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Soulwalker

It's not you, Kaz. 1.14 is an improvement over 1.1, but things are still very different than 1.0 It's going to be less apparent on some characters than others, because some will have fewer sounds affected by the changes.

My Ranger sounds much better than my Mage, for instance - because most of the combat sounds it uses are playing properly. However, the two main spells my Mage casts repeatedly in combat (Void Bolt and Soul Purge) are very much affected, so playing that character is miserable.

Speaking of which - on further testing this evening, I realized something: previous to 1.14, none of my Mage's casts played anything audible. The Void Bolt sound was there, but it was too low in volume to hear clearly. This evening I realized that now the two DoTs I cast (Necrosis and Dark Touch) are both causing sound, they are both causing the same sound - and it's the same sound Void Bolt makes when it hits. In other words, I'm getting a sort of generic spell impact sound, and not the spells' actual cast sounds.

The other thing I've been able to figure out is it just seems like there's a sort of background ambient bass noise going on all the time - as well as bass sounds being WAY louder than they should be in general. The heartbeat sound the game plays when you're close to death is so loud that it distorts my subwoofer when it plays - and I'm playing with my system volume at a level I can converse with people in the room over.

I listen to music on this system at very high volume - like house shaking volume - and no matter how bass heavy the music is, the sub doesn't distort like that. Yet, somehow Rift can do that at low volume. Either that, or it's a really awfully mixed sound effect and it's meant to sound that way - except it didn't do anything like that pre 1.1. At that point it was just an insistent "thump thump" heartbeat sound with no breakup or distortion.

Red face

Somethings I have noticed-

Before patch 1.1, the sounds were really awesome. I have played many MMOs before rift (including the azeroth once), and when I play them, I turn the game volume really low and play background music. But with rift though, I thought the sound effects were really good and so I don't mute the audio. The crack of thunder from unstable rifts were really cool, lightning spells of my stormcaller sounded like real lightning with a loud BOOM. Also, if there is a death rift from afar, you can here like a creepy humming music which really sets the mood, an 'unsettling drone' as GameSpot puts it. They even placed a "Great Sound Effects" emblem on their review and I soooo agreed with them.

After patch 1.1 was implemented, the game sounded less fantastic. Most spells have been muffled and didn't sound as cool as before. Stormcaller spells no longer hand the Oomph that they had before, turning up the bass on my subwoofer did not help at all. I guess the only thing I liked about the 1.1 change with regards to sound is that I can hear NPC voices clearly.

I hope this gets fixed/reverted soon. I miss the old sound effects. Oh and since we're on the topic of feedback about the sounds, it would be awesome if the toons had more voice emotes, kinda like 'the other' game. Even a laugh when we type 'lol' would be great. Thanks for reading. :3

11.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #431
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Calavero View Post
    Sound is only partially fixed for me. On my Mage:

Necrosis and Dark Touch now have casting sounds again.
    Revivify now makes the "sploosh" sound when I cast it located on my pet.

Void Bolt's sound is still extremely muted. It seems to be about 90% lower than it should be. Soul Purge is acting weird.

Both it and Void Bolt seem to have multiple components to their cast which are playing at the wrong volumes. When Void Bolt casts, there is a "harmonic" part at the cast, a "whoosh" when the bolt flies out and a sort of "gong!" when it hits. As of today, the harmonic is extremely quiet, the "whoosh" is extremely loud and the "gong!" on impact is now audible again, but at very low volume. Soul Purge is similar, the components are all out of gamut with each other.

Also, across the board now the whole sound environment sounds extremely muffled, bassy and too reverbed out. I disabled Reverb in the game's sound settings which helped slightly, but the only way I can describe the audio as a whole is that the "let's make this all sound really intense" parts of the sound are really overpowering the actual sounds themselves.

I'm not sure if this is due to many of the spell audio components being too low relative to the atmospheric parts of the sound, but at all times in combat it feels like I'm fighting inside a giant steel tank or a big dumpster or something.

Again, for the record I'm on a calibrated, tuned and balanced 5.1 setup. I'm a bit of an audiophile; only reason I'm bringing it up is I can assure you my bass isn't turned up too high or something, and my speakers aren't set wrong. The weird audio "flavor" is specific to Rift.

Hopefully this feedback is helpful. Also, I love the language filter on the forum. The sound I was trying to imitate textually above was "b o ng!", not "gong!". Heh.
    Yes, very helpful as well as the previous couple of posts on the ability/spell sounds.

12.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #432
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Gilandred View Post
    Here's my overall assessment with hotfix #14.

Overall, I think the sounds are headed in the right direction. They are crisper and some abilities are louder than before. However, I still notice a few issues. For example, the Bolt of Judgement and Radiance (on my Justicar) and Icicle (on my Stormcaller) are still faint compared to the other abilities. They are crisp and clear, just too soft. On my Assassin, I like the sound of the daggers swishing in the air; however, I am not really able to distinguish between abilities and I think the sfx is still too light. I think the combat music is either not there or intermittent, so not sure if it was intentional.

A good improvement over 1.1, but still needs some additional work. Keep working on it, Trion. Thanks.
    Good posts. Thanks. Ability/Spell sfx are at the top of our list. I really appreciate all the specific observations everyone is making. It makes it much easier for us to hear what you hear when we can call up specific souls, abilities, etc. and confirm that the problems are reproducible.

13.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #433
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by sbaetens View Post
    Tried making another clip, I think you can hear the crackling, scratching, or however you want to call it, alot better on this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-GfAevKGYg
    A little bit. Kind of hard to tell what you mean though. Can you tell me a time stamp number right when it happens?

Runebreaking still sounds extremely muffled.
    A good example imho what's wrong with the sounds.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyChester View Post
    A little bit. Kind of hard to tell what you mean though. Can you tell me a time stamp number right when it happens?

at 8secs in you can hear the sound stutter, and which has gotten better since the last patch. What I think I run into is when I have Firefox running in the background my sound will actually cut out. It will cut out completely, with a loud scratchy sound. If the sound returns before I reboot I will get the very loud scratchy sound again and it will return. I use a Soundblaster XFI Xtrememusic driver version 2.18.0015. With explorer running in the background it seems to be less of an issue and it almost completely disappears with no browser in the background.
    Last edited by Bushwhaq; 04-09-2011 at 04:15 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast