+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dropping frame rate ...

Soulwalker

Default Dropping frame rate ...

Hey all,

I bought a new PC on Monday just to play Rift.

My specs are ...

Intel i5 - 2500k
    GTX 560 Ti
    8GB DDR3 ram
    ASUS P8h67 Motherboard

They're not the best specs but are more than able to play Rift at a decent level.

My issue is that even when I play Rift on LOW settings, I start with a frame rate around 160 but after a few minutes is decreases to around 60. Another few minutes pass and its in the 20's.

When set to medium or high it starts around the 60 - 80 FPS and repeats the above.

I end up having to shut the game down to clear the frame rate drop.

I've Googled this issue and have read page after page of ways around this. However, I'm left scratching my head and no further forward.

I'd really appreciate any advice offered on how to rectify this.

Thanks in advance

Soulwalker

yeah you're not alone in this.

Unfortunately it will take some time for them to optimize the game/graphics. I have similiar issues when i zone multiple times in any session.

Example: Framerate at 60 fps in iron peak... go to meridian.. go back to iron peak.. framerate is now at a steady 30 fps. ...log out of iron peak..log back in..frame rate returns to 60 fps.

Give them some time to optimize this.. it's not a priority right now for them..but it will be in time.

You can disable shadows and some of the filtering options..and that has helped me a -little-

Soulwalker

Thanks for the rapid reply flynndawg

I already have everything set to low but the game is unplayable after 10 - 15 minutes without logging out.

As you say, it's still a new game so I'm prepared to soldier on for a while yet.

Thanks again

That is a really good spec actually. That processor + GPU is not the absolute "fastest", but it certainly is around the top twenty or so performer. You shouldn't be having such a problem with FPS dropping so drastically imho

Just curious, what HDD are you using?

Telaran

Try turning text resolutions down. Sounds like a video memory leak where it is caching but never releasing.

Soulwalker

Just curious, what HDD are you using?[/QUOTE]

I have a 1TB WD Caviar (7200rpm)

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by DasWood View Post
    Try turning text resolutions down. Sounds like a video memory leak where it is caching but never releasing.
    I'll give that a go - thanks for replying

Soulwalker

Default Solved

Thanks for all your help ...

After MUCH trial and error, I removed my Sidewinder (X3 mouse and X4 keyboard) Intellipoint drivers and the problem has gone! I can play the game at MEDIUM with a solid 60 FPS even during raids!

I noticed that ALL my games were suffering from the FPS drop so I knew it couldn't be an issue with Rift.

Amazing to think that drivers supplied my Microsoft caused this to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by TheOmmadawn View Post
    Thanks for all your help ...

After MUCH trial and error, I removed my Sidewinder (X3 mouse and X4 keyboard) Intellipoint drivers and the problem has gone! I can play the game at MEDIUM with a solid 60 FPS even during raids!

I noticed that ALL my games were suffering from the FPS drop so I knew it couldn't be an issue with Rift.

Amazing to think that drivers supplied my Microsoft caused this to happen!
    i dont think u "solved" it, i mean, look ur specs, u should play at ULTRA with 60+ fps

+ Reply to Thread