Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RIFT has a memory leak...

Default RIFT has a memory leak...

Just wanted to give the dev's a heads up. As the title of this thread states, RIFT has a memory leak. Windows 7 has software built in that picks up and logs memory leaks and RIFT is one of several programs it picks up. And in case anyone doubts this follow these steps:

In the search bar in Windows 7 type: Regedit

Navigate to: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RAD AR\HeapLeakDetection\DiagnosedApplications

you should see rift.exe located here and probably a few other things you use as well, for me I also have Firefox.exe and plugin-container.exe (which is part of firefox)

For more info on RADAR (The program that detects memory leaks in Windows 7) click here:

http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/Going...eak-Detection/

Now, I don't know alot about programming so I couldn't tell you what exactly in the coding is causing the leak. I do know that over time memory leaks can cause performance decreases and even cause your PC to crash. Again, I just wanted to bring this to the Dev's attention.
    "Don't steal, the government hates competition" ~ Ron Paul

I've been saying this in several threads and got labeled a nut.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by intrinsc View Post
    I've been saying this in several threads and got labeled a nut.
    Really? Bah! Some people are just content to deny the truth. Well, I've provided the proof, now it's just up to the Dev's to take care of it. And I'm sorry you got harassed over it, but, you were absolutely correct.

I screenshotted my results:

http://i53.tinypic.com/w22khs.jpg

BTW I play other games. These are the only ones with leaks, but leaks indeed according to RADAR. I play Civ V on a daily basis. Shogun 2. Dragon Age 2. Starcraft 2.
    Last edited by intrinsc; 03-28-2011 at 09:47 PM.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by intrinsc View Post
    I screenshotted my results:

http://i53.tinypic.com/w22khs.jpg
    Thats actually a good idea, I think I will do the same.

Here is my registry screenie:

RIFT has a memory leak...-rift-memory-leak.jpg
    Last edited by Jwright771984; 03-28-2011 at 09:55 PM.

In the hopes that maybe this can be fixed, I'm chiming in with my screenshot as well.

RIFT has a memory leak...-capture.jpg

Bumping this, I've noticed the game loads terrain slower the longer I play.

Rift Disciple

Ascendant

Well I looked at mine and it's there along with WoW, LotRO, BF2BC2 so I'm not sure if this is any real indicator of a major problem.
    Still could be but there are other major games that seem to leak as well. How big are the leaks is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Nestran View Post
    Well I looked at mine and it's there along with WoW, LotRO, BF2BC2 so I'm not sure if this is any real indicator of a major problem.
    Still could be but there are other major games that seem to leak as well. How big are the leaks is the question.
    Unfortunatly I have no idea. I suppose it's possible these could be so called false positives, but I dunno for sure. At the very least I think it should be looked into by Trion. I do find it odd that windows 7 seems to think alot of programs have memory leaks however.

Because there are other apps that work fine in there it doesn't say the severity of the memory leak. I still think there is a problem(well, we KNOW there is a problem). How severe it is is to be determined by the developers as the game goes.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Jwright771984 View Post
    Unfortunatly I have no idea. I suppose it's possible these could be so called false positives, but I dunno for sure. At the very least I think it should be looked into by Trion. I do find it odd that windows 7 seems to think alot of programs have memory leaks however.
    Indeed.
    The thing is, without being able to see how bad the leak is, we can't tell if it's having any effect on the game. We also don't know if W7 is able to make of for the leaks. If it's eeing them then it stands to reason that maybe W7 is able to do something to negate them, as long as they're small.

I am having issues with this also. My PC has 5 GB of RAM, and GeForce GTX 460. For some reason, when I play Rift, I get BSoD so often and it tells me it is a Memory Failure..., sometimes I would get only 1 or 2.

This is just unacceptable. Please FIX it.
    ||--------------------------------------------------------------||
    waiting for: RIFT | GUILD WARS 2 | TERA
    ||--------------------------------------------------------------||

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Nestran View Post
    Indeed.
    The thing is, without being able to see how bad the leak is, we can't tell if it's having any effect on the game. We also don't know if W7 is able to make of for the leaks. If it's eeing them then it stands to reason that maybe W7 is able to do something to negate them, as long as they're small.
    Windows 7 will not be able to do much with the leaks other than clean them up after you close Rift. But this should not be a problem for Windows unless you are running Rift for 10+ hours, and don't have a lot of memory.

Maybe running the Resource Monitor and checking memory when starting Rift, and after playing for several hours would give some idea as to how bad a leak it is.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast