+ Reply to Thread

Thread: <Problem> Please Help "Rift System Req/Mine" What can I do?

Soulwalker

Default <Problem> Please Help "Rift System Req/Mine" What can I do?

Hi - im going to get straight to the Problem Listed Below

Problem
    : I downloaded "RIFT" / Updated it / created a character. That all worked fine until i CLICKED PLAY. It Loaded it to 99% then, it acted as if it was trying to OPEN the game up/Graphics. When it seemed like i was about to get to play the screen went BLACK, and said System Handler.

I have a friend at work, who told me that i may just need to upgrade my graphics card/Direct X, and my Nvidia. I went to both sites and tried Downloading the Nvidia one, but i was not sure which one to download.

IF ANYONE could post my PROBLEM/HYPERLINKS to the sites to upgrade Direct X / Nvidia or anything els i need upgraded that would be fantastic. " Dont forget to add which program it is that i need to click on " srry im not really a comp. Wiz

If you need to know my system/hardware: Give me direction on how to get to them because i dont have a clue sorry.

Thank you

Shadowlander

simple answer first in case its that easy.
    Have you got a fire wall? and if so check it to see what rift is set at. Thats rift not the rift patcher which will show in there as a different program. what you are looking for is to see that its got full access and not just 'outgoing' as sometimes happens.
    Ive known people to have the firewall change the program access to outgoing only after patching which randomly lets them load the game up full then freeze in the character selection window or sometimes freeze during program loading anywhere from 70% to 99%.
    Its quite likely to be something else but try that first.
    My Boys pride and joy
    COOLERMASTER CM690 MKII ADVANCED CASE : AMD PHENOM II X4 970 BE - OC to 3.9 Ghz : ASUS CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0Gb/s : 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 4GB KIT) : 2 x 2GB AMD RADEON HD6950 (crossfire) (oc to just below 6970...couldnt quite get it stable any higher ) : 120GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SERIES SSD, SATA 3 Gb/s
    1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm) : CORSAIR 1000W PRO SERIES (HX1000) 80+ MODULAR PSU : TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER : WIN 7 64bit

My Rift machine
    MAELSTROM T900 BLACK CASE : AMD PHENOM II X6 1100T - OC to 4.0 Ghz on air : ASUS CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0Gb/s : 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 4GB KIT) : 2GB AMD RADEON HD6970 : 60GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SERIES SSD, SATA 3 Gb/s : 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm) :
    CORSAIR 750W TX SERIES (TX750) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU : TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER : WIN 7 64bit

Soulwalker

I have no Fire Wall

Soulwalker

Last edited by Drozz; 03-27-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Soulwalker

Default If I Were To.

Ok so since the desk top i have right now won't run RIFT, do you think if i BUY a $350-$500 Desk Top it would run RIFT farely Well?

Quote Originally Posted by Drozz View Post
    Ok so since the desk top i have right now won't run RIFT, do you think if i BUY a $350-$500 Desk Top it would run RIFT farely Well?
    $500 would get you something that /might/ run Rift if you cannibalize the settings.

TigerDirect has http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...312&CatId=4928

But the video card will suck and I can't tell you how Rift would run with it. You would likely have to upgrade the power supply if you ever wanted to get a new video card down the line.

Soulwalker

Do you think this desk top would work?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...12&CatId=4928#

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Drozz View Post
    Do you think this desk top would work?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...12&CatId=4928#
    that would probably run it on lower settings, yes.

Soulwalker

Ok thanks. I plan on spending anywere from 500-1200 on a desk top..i thought about buying alien software ect..but i really dont want to pay for the brand name. My buddy said i could buy a 350$ desk top then buy parts for it then he would build it but idk..

Anyhow does anyone have an idea comp for gaming/school work?

If you want to do more gaming on it, then a good solid graphics card is a must. Don't be distracted by prebuilt systems that look all fancy with 8+gb's or RAM or a really new processor, if the graphics card is a budget model, then all those other specs are a total waste of money.

I can't really recommend any systems or good sites to buy from, as I never look at prebuilt systems. I would recommend staying away from Alienware though - once upon a time they were expensive but at least guaranteed you got a good gaming rig that could handle anything thrown at it. These days they're owned by Dell, which means they're just expensive and no guarantee you'll actually get a killer system (hooray for the budget-spec systems that still cost 1000 dollars xD).

As for what kind of system to go for, roughly, I'd say aim for something with 4-6gb of RAM, a core i5 or i7 based processor (make sure it has semi-decent speed per core like 2.6ghz+) and for the graphics cards my recommendation is simple:

If you go with ATI:
    - go with a card of the x7xx - x9xx range, as those are the better gaming cards - anything x6xx or lower is budget crap. - example cards: 4870, 5770, 5850, 6850, 6870, etc
    - make sure the card is at least from the 4xxx series or newer (5xxx and 6xxx are even newer and support dx11 as well)

If you go with Nvidia:
    - go with any card of the x60 range or up (x50 and lower is budget stuff) - example cards: gtx260, gtx460, gtx560ti (all very good midrange gaming cards)
    - go with a card that is at least of series 2xx or newer (4xx and 5xx being the latest series that support DX11)
    - older series with 4 digits (like 8800, 9800) you might want to avoid as they're getting a bit aged now, but if you must, then a 9800GTX or 9800GTX+ is the card to get

And as always remember, you get what you pay for, but this is more true with the graphics card than anything else - the GFX card is the biggest determining factor of performance in the vast majority of games. The only time RAM/CPU comes into play is when you have too little of it, any semi-decent new CPU model with decent speed per core shouldn't throttle you unless you go for major graphic card overkill (think high end cards in SLI).

Also if you buy a prebuilt system and upgrade the gfx card, keep in mind that prebuilts tend to come with crappy PSU's (power supply units) that only barely run the system you buy, and a GFX card upgrade almost always requires you to upgrade the PSU as well or the system will not function properly.
    Last edited by Amarinth; 03-28-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Soulwalker

So what your saying is a i need a really good graphics card? and an ok PSU?

Telaran

Drozz,

The previous poster is correct; a good graphics card is an absolute necessity for gaming. That being said, I have 2 recommendations for you:

1. I know you said you're not very computer savvy, but one of the best things you can do may be to build one (or get a friend to do it). Generally, going this route will save you tons of money and, in the process, give you everything you want from your computer and nothing that you don't.

2. The other option would be to buy a fully working desktop with a good processor/RAM and upgrade it accordingly. In order to run RIFT, this just means buying a video card. Pretty much anything you can find nowadays in the price range you gave is going to be more than sufficient. You'll likely find and i7 processor and between 4-8 GBs of RAM. Websites like newegg and TigerDirect may also have some complete gaming rigs that you can find for a decent price.

The biggest factor with option #2 is going to be determining whether the power supply that's included is going to be sufficient for your fancy new video card. Along those same lines, another big factor will be whether that card will actually fit in the computer case.

Here are a few examples:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227288
    - This system should run RIFT on pretty good settings. I can't guarantee you'll max them out, but you should at least be able to enjoy the graphics of the game. This one will run you $800 + the monitor, with no real need to buy a video card but room in your budget to do so if that's what you want.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883229248
    - This one is a bit more expensive, costing right at $1000 + the monitor (if you need a monitor, this will likely put you over budget.) However, it's got a quad core processor running Intel's newer Sandy Bridge architecture (in normal speak, it's faster), with double the RAM and double the hard drive space.

Note on these two examples:

In both of these examples, the video card is an ATI Radeon 5770. While it's not a bad card, you can get nearly double the video performance by spending ~$200 on a newer video card. Both of these systems can probably run RIFT at or near max with the right video card, although you'll have much better performance out of the more expensive rig.

Note too that both of these rigs contain a 700W power supply, which should be more than sufficient for a newer video card.

One more thing to note: I have heard people say some relatively bad things about ibuypower AND cyberpowerpc (the makers of those 2 computers), but I've also heard really good things about them and have friends that have purchased computers from them. This note is mainly for anyone who decides to jump in and say "omg don't buy from there they suck!!1!1!1!11!!" use your own judgement, read the reviews and make the decision for yourself. It's your money. If nothing else, use the two recommendations I linked as a starting point for your search.

Shopping for a video card: There are a couple of things to consider when buying a video card. They are price, reviews, size (physically), memory, and power usage.

For your needs, I would recommend something around the $200 range. You can usually find pretty good mid-range ATI and NVidia card for right at $200, and Newegg and TigerDirect both have specials on them all the time. I personally use a GTX460 in my desktop, and I can run RIFT completely maxed out. The card cost me right at $189 with the rebate.

The reviews part is obvious. Don't buy a card that people constantly report errors with, or dead on arrival, etc. Newegg (and probably TigerDirect) even has a feature where you can search for the video cards that have the highest satisfaction ratings and look for cards in your price range that way.

Size: If you buy a computer that's specifically designed for gaming, this shouldn't be much of an issue. Just make sure to check the physical dimensions of your card and verify that it will fit in your case.

Memory: For gaming, I would recommend 1GB of video memory. Most of the cards around $200 will have a gig, just make sure you don't look at the same card with 512MB that's 50 bucks cheaper. You will definitely want the 1GB, especially if you will be gaming at higher resolutions.

Power usage: Again, if you buy a gaming rig, you shouldn't have to worry about this. Just check the tech specs on the video card and make sure you aren't going to blow your whole system.

Performance: here's one more thing for you. This is a list of tons of video cards and their relative performance. More is better. This list is invaluable when you're searching for a card. In fact, (I just noticed this) they even have the price point posted right next to the performance level. Definitely the place to start in your search for a video card.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

I really hope this ridiculously long post isn't too confusing. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
    Last edited by Faredina; 03-28-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Soulwalker

OMG thanks so much )))

been a really huge help )))

+ Reply to Thread