+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone able to play Rift in a corperate (proxy) environment? 1016 error

Default Anyone able to play Rift in a corperate (proxy) environment? 1016 error

I am having repeated 1016 errors after entering my login info and have been researching this issue for a couple weeks now. I am wondering if anyone has been able to play within a corporate environment that utilizes a proxy (in my case Barracuda)?

After researching every forum post I could find, it appears the issue at least with my environment is related to my cooperate proxy and how the Rift patcher sends data over port 80. The patcher sends its data out on port 80 through the proxy but the data stream is affected by numerous proxy filters which seems to be confusing the patcher and it will stop it from continuing. It seems at though this issue is with the patcher not the environment. This is leading me to believe that Rift will have issues functioning in corporate environments and the solution would be for Trion to change the patcher to be compatible with proxy environments.

Also fyi, I am the systems admin at my work so I have eliminated any port related issues and opened everything on my proxy that would normally allow access but nothing works no matter what firewall/proxy changes I make.

Overzealous patchers ftw!!!

If anyone has overcome this issue please, please share!
    Last edited by Steelwind1; 03-25-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwind1 View Post
    I am having repeated 1016 errors after entering my login info and have been researching this issue for a couple weeks now. I am wondering if anyone has been able to play within a corporate environment that utilizes a proxy (in my case Barracuda)?

After researching every forum post I could find, it appears the issue at least with my environment is related to my cooperate proxy and how the Rift patcher sends data over port 80. The patcher sends its data out on port 80 through the proxy but the data stream is affected by numerous proxy filters which seems to be confusing the patcher and it will stop it from continuing. It seems at though this issue is with the patcher not the environment. This is leading me to believe that Rift will have issues functioning in corporate environments and the solution would be for Trion to change the patcher to be compatible with proxy environments.

Also fyi, I am the systems admin at my work so I have eliminated any port related issues and opened everything on my proxy that would normally allow access but nothing works no matter what firewall/proxy changes I make.

How is trion supposed to fix that?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatTomGuy View Post
    How is trion supposed to fix that?
    It is in the coding of the patcher on what actions it takes on the data stream. The patcher is closing the data stream not my network.

This is the first game that has had this issue in my environment and I have been able to play other MMO's just fine. So basically it is a process of elimination, opened all ports and I am able to telnet to all rift servers and I have punched a hole in the proxy to allow traffic to the Rift servers. Those two alone should fix this issue but they have not. The only thing I cannot do it bypass the proxy completely since it is hardwired into our network and that this type of change cannot be done via software but instead needs a physical network reconfig which of course I cannot do.

So if anyone is successfully playing through a proxy, please let me know what you did to make it work especially if it is Barracuda.
    Last edited by Steelwind1; 03-25-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by steelwind1 View Post
    i am having repeated 1016 errors after entering my login info and have been researching this issue for a couple weeks now. I am wondering if anyone has been able to play within a corporate environment that utilizes a proxy (in my case barracuda)?

After researching every forum post i could find, it appears the issue at least with my environment is related to my cooperate proxy and how the rift patcher sends data over port 80. The patcher sends its data out on port 80 through the proxy but the data stream is affected by numerous proxy filters which seems to be confusing the patcher and it will stop it from continuing. It seems at though this issue is with the patcher not the environment. This is leading me to believe that rift will have issues functioning in corporate environments and the solution would be for trion to change the patcher to be compatible with proxy environments.

Also fyi, i am the systems admin at my work so i have eliminated any port related issues and opened everything on my proxy that would normally allow access but nothing works no matter what firewall/proxy changes i make.

your fired!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybirius Rex View Post
    your fired!!
    Hehe not helpful!!

Soulwalker

Default error 1016 possible fix

this has been issue for a lot of the people trying the ally code

anyway...

"Official Forum link (in case my copy & paste does not work) http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ght=error+1016

For everyone getting Error 1016 while trying to patch for trial weekend

It appears that if you try to use the download client button from within your account manager after applying you Ally code, you actually are given the BETA Patcher, rather than the live patcher. To fix this issue, follow this link to get the correct version: http://update2.triongames.com/patche...cher_setup.exe
    "

The link when clicked asks if you want to download the Rift_LIVE_Patcher_setup.exe... download and install - see if this fixes the problem.

+ Reply to Thread