+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OS expansion please

Soulwalker

Default OS expansion please

I was wanting to make a thread to hopefully show Trion there are numerous people that play this game on macintosh and hopefully get a response on if they ever plan to release a version of the game for them. I am currently bootcamping but it would be awesome to have the ability to not be required. I also realize this is not a high priority for them but sometime in the future would be amazing (6 months to a year). Anyways keep up the great work and I will continue to enjoy this game much like everyone else who gives it a chance. Please no trolling. Thank you.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Railed View Post
    I was wanting to make a thread to hopefully show Trion there are numerous people that play this game on macintosh and hopefully get a response on if they ever plan to release a version of the game for them. I am currently bootcamping but it would be awesome to have the ability to not be required. I also realize this is not a high priority for them but sometime in the future would be amazing (6 months to a year). Anyways keep up the great work and I will continue to enjoy this game much like everyone else who gives it a chance. Please no trolling. Thank you.
    I think I saw in the roadmap the Mac port is scheduled for year 2050.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Rich Aemry

Just use Wine, Crossover or Cedgega like the Linux guys do. You take a FPS hit, but it's cheaper than bootcamping it. Odds are there won't be an official MacOSX port. Lion is probably the last one anyways before OS-XI because of the threat of a lawsuit from Apple's violations of the Unix copyright. OS-XI will have some compatibility issues so you probably won't see many games with the shelf life of an MMO getting ports soon.

http://www.steamgamesonlinux.com/rift/

Almost everything on Steam can be forced onto a Mac.

http://www.codeweavers.com/via/RIFT/?msg=102731

Best way to install I do it myself

Shadowlander

I used to own a mac. I had the first Intel iMac, a 2009 iMac and recently a Mac Pro - and I knew when I bought them that I would be limited to 1/9000th of the games on the market - because choosing one OS from another, there are limitation.

I see so many "people" posting things like "O M G not for mac? then no $15 from me" or "this is 2011, why isn't it for mac?!" The fact is..the 389 people who want a mac client won't get one. At least not anytime soon.

It cost money, tons of money to make a game engine run on windows alone. Porting over to mac (which is still stuck in the middle ages when it comes to supporting 3rd party software) would cost a lot more money. Thats not the half of it, what if those few mac players don't subscribe? Trion loses profit on an investment that clearly isn't ready to mature.

The game engine was built for PC. Thats why I switched back from mac. I wanted to play games and didn't want to wait forever (if ever) for game developers to port games over. Plus macs use Open GL, a very basic 3d rendering system that is no where near advanced as direct x - which Rift uses.

The problem with trying to get Trion to make a Mac version of Rift is that the engine that Rift is built around does not support Macs. So until you get Emergent to make a Mac version of Gamebryo, there's really nothing that Trion can do about a Mac version, even if they wanted to.

That said, the alternatives that Rich points out are your current options.

+ Reply to Thread