+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is this PC worth upgrading?

Default Is this PC worth upgrading?

So, as the titles says im wondering if my current PC is worth upgrading, or if i should just try and get a new one (and which parts for it, since im getting a friend to build it, altho i have no idea on computers myself)
    Specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: Danish)
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/17/07 16:23:52 Ver: 08.00.14
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
    Display Memory: 1024.0 MB

So yeah, those are my specs i guess a penny for your thoughts thanks

Yes, you should probably upgrade. If you can afford it, do it. Buying a new PC is an investment, our forum is a very limited place to ask such things, do a few google searches and use places like Tom's Hardware and such to find things that you are comfortable purchasing and putting together, if you can't build it yourself there are several other options available to you, though at a pretty steep premium.
    Ruranak - Cleric - Greybriar - Guardian :: Sacred Haven

ASrock p67 Extreme6 - i7-2600K @ 4.80Ghz O.C. - 8GB XMS3 - 2x HD6970 - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler
    Antec Lanboy Blue - 80GB SSD

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kape Rids View Post
    Depends on your motherboard/power supply. Those specs are very low end and upgrading a 775 platform in this day/age especially if you want good performance in Rift is a fairly pointless exercise..

I mean you could get yourself an e8400/GTX460 if your motherboard/power supply permit, which would be a nice increase over your current rig. But your still going to be processor bound & going to something like a Q6600 would be good but the core speed is just to slow for Rift. So your in a bit of a pickle.

Personally I'd ditch your current rig & go looking around the Phenom 2 955 range if your on a budget.

You owe me a Penny
    Last edited by C-BuZz; 03-23-2011 at 02:14 PM.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

So, as the titles says im wondering if my current PC is worth upgrading, or if i should just try and get a new one (and which parts for it, since im getting a friend to build it, altho i have no idea on computers myself)
    Specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: Danish)
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/17/07 16:23:52 Ver: 08.00.14
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
    Display Memory: 1024.0 MB

Dont buy a new computer, upgrade the guts of it, especially that vid card.

Use your existing hard drives, cdrom, mouse, keyboard. All you need is mobo/cpu/ram/video (research your vid cards too so you dont end up with another budget line card. 8500 = budget 8900 is what you should have got when you got that 8500)

Quote Originally Posted by zwimox View Post
    Yes, you should probably upgrade. If you can afford it, do it. Buying a new PC is an investment, our forum is a very limited place to ask such things, do a few google searches and use places like Tom's Hardware and such to find things that you are comfortable purchasing and putting together, if you can't build it yourself there are several other options available to you, though at a pretty steep premium.
    thanks alot for the reply man but im not sure what the requirements are for Rift, thats why i wanted to ask on the forums since i thought there might be others here for felt like their pc needed an make-over Do you by any chance happen to know a setup for around 1000$ that would let me play rift on ultra settings? =) No antiscopic(blarblarlbarg) filtering needed
    Sagespire - Guardian - Ponglenis <3

thanks alot for the reply man but im not sure what the requirements are for Rift, thats why i wanted to ask on the forums since i thought there might be others here for felt like their pc needed an make-over Do you by any chance happen to know a setup for around 1000$ that would let me play rift on ultra settings? =) No antiscopic(blarblarlbarg) filtering needed
    You posted this at the same time as i replied to your orig post. Why spend a grand on a whole new machine when you can upgrade the core guts that makes the computer for half of that?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatTomGuy View Post
    You posted this at the same time as i replied to your orig post. Why spend a grand on a whole new machine when you can upgrade the core guts that makes the computer for half of that?
    C-BuZz answered this question for you.

ASrock p67 Extreme6 - i7-2600K @ 4.80Ghz O.C. - 8GB XMS3 - 2x HD6970 - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    Depends on your motherboard/power supply. Those specs are very low end and upgrading a 775 platform in this day/age especially if you want good performance in Rift is a fairly pointless exercise..

I mean you could get yourself an e8400/GTX460 if your motherboard/power supply permit, which would be a nice increase over your current rig. But your still going to be processor bound & going to something like a Q6600 would be good but the core speed is just to slow for Rift. So your in a bit of a pickle.

Personally I'd ditch your current rig & go looking around the Phenom 2 955 range if your on a budget.

You owe me a Penny
    I promise you'll get that penny sometime, maybe in a year or two :P So, my exceptionally smart mind tells me that, i should probally try and upgrade my computer instead of buying a new one? And i need to upgrade every part almost or? So a new motherboard, power supply, new graphics card and new cpu or gpu?

Quote Originally Posted by zwimox View Post
    C-BuZz answered this question for you.
    There a reason to buy a whole new computer? All that $$ for what? the new mobo,cpu,ram etc and another hard drive (he has one), a mouse and keyboard (check, he has those), etc?

I promise you'll get that penny sometime, maybe in a year or two :P So, my exceptionally smart mind tells me that, i should probally try and upgrade my computer instead of buying a new one? And i need to upgrade every part almost or? So a new motherboard, power supply, new graphics card and new cpu or gpu?
    Correct if you are comfortable. Will need a new motherboard, ram, processor, video card. Possibly power supply depending on yours in there now.

Dont buy a new computer, upgrade the guts of it, especially that vid card.

Use your existing hard drives, cdrom, mouse, keyboard. All you need is mobo/cpu/ram/video (research your vid cards too so you dont end up with another budget line card. 8500 = budget 8900 is what you should have got when you got that 8500)
    Ah i see =) Well, if theres any way i can save some money on it them im up for it im just so... terribly bad with computers... Ill probally end up buying a goat or some **** if im supposed to buy hardware
    Are there any certain "mobo/cpu/ram/video-cards'n' stuff you would recommend?

Ascendant

Really depends on your PSU/Motherboard. If you've got a good Power supply/Motherboard you can probably get away with an e8x00/GTX460 on the cheap. If your current Mobo/PSU is crap then you'll have to upgarde the lot basically mobo/cpu/ram/gpu & you may as well just move to a new platform.
    Last edited by C-BuZz; 03-23-2011 at 02:22 PM.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    Really depends on your PSU/Motherboard. If you've got a good Power supply/Motherboard you can probably get away with an e8x00/GTX460 on the cheap. If your current Mobo/PSU is crap then you'll have to upgarde the lot basically mobo/cpu/ram/gpu & you may as well just move to a new platform.
    A new tower doesnt equal a new platform, the mobo/cpu combo is what does

edit - misread your post. i was advising him to upgrade the mobo and cpu etc. like mine could tak a 1st gen phenom, but nowhere sells them
    Last edited by ThatTomGuy; 03-23-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Ascendant

edit - misread your post. i was advising him to upgrade the mobo and cpu etc
    I didn't say a new tower, I said platform (cpu/mobo). Obviously if he has a tower/keyboard/mouse/hard drive he can keep those & migrate them.

He won't be keeping it if its a proprietary HP/Dell tower that's for sure
    Last edited by C-BuZz; 03-23-2011 at 02:27 PM.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

edit - misread your post. i was advising him to upgrade the mobo and cpu etc. like mine could tak a 1st gen phenom, but nowhere sells them
    If he's upgrading his original hardware then the only "new thing" he wouldn't be purchasing is a hard drive, case and possibly a PSU, unless his current one wouldn't support an upgrade.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast